Development Map and Chart

^Luxury = a marketing term that riles up the progressive base and creates resentment toward development. I am sure it serves a purpose for marketing to actual buyers, but it increases the frictions developers must deal with from community members.

90% of what we are discussing in this thread could be averted if the developers weren't as tone deaf about the community. There is the opportunity for the community to become allies, but that opportunity, for the most part, is not being taken.

I'm (we're) talking about new units. The new buildings going up and whether its actually good for the city or not. We're building thousands and thousands of new units (all luxury) at this point and according to basic and universally accepted supply and demand theory, prices should be easing should they not? You really think its just that we're adding that many well paying jobs and all the building lately is still outpacing demand?

You don't think there's any issue with just allowing all new buildings to be luxury? You dont see any problems with this?

According to supply and demand theory, yes, pricing is easing relative to the counterfactual world in which supply does not increase.

Job growth is absolutely outpacing housing growth, even with the units we're adding. That's why prices are going up. But if we weren't adding those units then job growth would be outpacing housing growth even more, and prices would be going up even more.

And also, as an aside, I know plenty of people (friends, former classmates, coworkers, etc.) who live in new "luxury" buildings built in the current building boom since the Recession. Some live in designated "affordable" subsidized units included in those buildings (including in the Seaport). Others live in market rate units. These aren't shady out of town billionaires stashing cash. They're normal joes and janes who get up every day to go to work, run along the Charles in the evening, go out to regular bars and restaurants, and take occasional weekend trips up to New Hampshire. They are Bostonians. Most of them make six-figure salaries either by themselves or with their partners, because salaries like that are very achievable if you have a good degree in a relevant field in Boston's booming economy. Some make less than that. These people are in my general age bracket (25 - 35), but many of their neighbors in these new buildings are Baby Boomers the age of my parents who downsized from big houses in the Boston suburbs.

If these buildings were never built, all of these friends and former classmates and coworkers of mine would still be Bostonians, and they'd still make their salaries, and they'd still live in Boston. But they'd be living in older housing stock, taking up space that other people live in now. How would that be preferable then allowing them to live in their new "luxury" apartments?

Most of them make six-figure salaries either by themselves or with their partners, because salaries like that are very achievable if you have a good degree in a relevant field in Boston's booming economy

You live in a very nice bubble, bro. But there's lot of people that work in the city that dont command these salaries.

My whole point is people making 50-99k should be able to afford to live in the city and they cant. And thats a problem. And if you want to say "too bad" then that's pretty weak and unintelligent IMO

You live in a very nice bubble, bro. But there's lot of people that work in the city that dont command these salaries.

My whole point is people making 50-99k should be able to afford to live in the city and they cant. And thats a problem. And if you want to say "too bad" then that's pretty weak and unintelligent IMO

How is it the fault of new buildings if people who make "50-99k" can't afford to live in Boston? Since a subset of my "bubble" people live in new construction, they don't compete for existing housing stock with those making less. It would be even harder for people making "50-99k" to live in Boston if the new buildings weren't there, because then those "50-99k" people would have to compete with my "bubble" people.

And as I said, some of my "bubble" people live in below-market "affordable" units, which are included in new projects. There's a good argument to be made that more affordable units should be included. But restricting "luxury" development is not the answer.

And also, while some of my "bubble" people live in new building, the vast majority live in older housing stock. The ones who don't live in new buildings, including myself, are the real problem for affordability, as we're the ones competing directly with those of less means. If one springs for high rents in expensive buildings that's a good thing, as those people are basically "getting out of the way."

Last edited:
What makes a building luxury? What is a non-luxury building? That is a meaningless distinction, just marketing terms. Every new development from the Back Bay to Everett claims to be "luxury," but I've got news for you - they aren't in the same league just because they put a word on a sign.

New homes are nicer than old homes. That is pretty hard to avoid. Are you supposed to build a new home and make it dumpy on day-1? Think, man. Think about what you are saying before typing nonsense.

I can separate the difference between a luxury apartment and one that's not a luxury apartment.

A luxury apartment is an apartment that comes with amenities such as a gym, a pool, central air, a common lounge, elevators, reception and security.

A non luxury apartment is an apartment that comes with none of those stuff. You get just an apartment and no frills.

I've lived in both types of buildings so I KNOW the difference. I've even lived in section 8 housing. For people pretending that it's just a term and there's no difference, try venturing outside your bubble. The city needs more of the latter.

There's a good argument to be made that more affordable units should be included. But restricting "luxury" development is not the answer.

Yes! Again, the people complaining about this need to understand that you don't need to limit one to have more of the other in a market that has as much demand in both realms as ours has. We need more affordable housing. Who cares if the luxury part of Tower A is 50 floors of luxury units versus 60 floors, if what we get in the end is an increase in the volume of affordable units being produced.

I can separate the difference between a luxury apartment and one that's not a luxury apartment.

A luxury apartment is an apartment that comes with amenities such as a gym, a pool, central air, a common lounge, elevators, reception and security.

A non luxury apartment is an apartment that comes with none of those stuff. You get just an apartment and no frills.

I've lived in both types of buildings so I KNOW the difference. I've even lived in section 8 housing. For people pretending that it's just a term and there's no difference, try venturing outside your bubble. The city needs more of the latter.

Nothing is built today anywhere without central air, and elevators are largely the product of handicap accessibility requirements. But plenty of market-rate new construction today in Boston doesn't have "a gym, a pool, [...] a common lounge, [...] reception and security."

How is it the fault of new buildings if people who make "50-99k" can't afford to live in Boston? Since a subset of my "bubble" people live in new construction, they don't compete for existing housing stock with those making less. It would be even harder for people making "50-99k" to live in Boston if the new buildings weren't there, because then those "50-99k" people would have to compete with my "bubble" people.

And as I said, some of my "bubble" people live in below-market "affordable" units, which are included in new projects. There's a good argument to be made that more affordable units should be included. But restricting "luxury" development is not the answer.

Here's a good counter argument. The number of people who make 50-99k are growing at a faster rate than those making above that; however housing stock that serves those making 99k+ are increasing while those serving those who make less than that is either stagnant or even decreasing as many of those older housing stock are being upgraded to luxury housing. Restricting luxury development may not be the answer, but affordable housing should be the main focus, not luxury and unfortunately market forces aren't going to compel developers to build more affordable housing. You need the government for that.

Nothing is built today anywhere without central air, and elevators are largely to product of handicap accessibility requirements. But plenty of market-rate new construction today in Boston doesn't have "a gym, a pool, [...] a common lounge, [...] reception and security."

And that's the problem. There's nothing in the city that is preventing developers from building apartments without central air or some of these other amenities. The reason they do is because they can get more money doing so with these added features.

I'm (we're) talking about new units. The new buildings going up and whether its actually good for the city or not. We're building thousands and thousands of new units (all luxury) at this point and according to basic and universally accepted supply and demand theory, prices should be easing should they not? You really think its just that we're adding that many well paying jobs and all the building lately is still outpacing demand?

You don't think there's any issue with just allowing all new buildings to be luxury? You dont see any problems with this?

1) Not all new buildings are luxury - yours is a stupid statement with no evidence behind it. 2) Prices will not ease as long as demand is present, which it is. We should be increasing the amount of construction, luxury or not, as long as the demand is there.

Lastly, your hairbrained arguments miss something criticial, which is the population of the city is increasing every year. IF your theory held water, we'd be building new towers BUT the population would decrease because the new towers are only for money launderers who don't live there, while everybody else is priced out. Yet, the city gains about 10K a year in people. Can't wait to see you explain that one away....

I'm not at all saying to stop developers, I'm saying stop buyers who are just using housing stock as investments. IE airbnb units, foreign investors, possible money launders, etc. Make people actually live in the units they are buying that will ease demand and normal people can either afford housing they couldnt otherwise or they can at least have more money in their pocket for other things.

Central AC is a luxury element? What is this, 1950? Try living with a pregnant wife during the summer in the city and telling her that cool air is a luxury only meant for the billionaire class.... :D

And that's the problem. There's nothing in the city that is preventing developers from building apartments without central air or some of these other amenities. The reason they do is because they can get more money doing so with these added features.

(I can't believe I'm saying this but) Central air is not the problem. Just about nothing anywhere in America will be built without central air. Even the cheapest, crappiest cars on the market, for example, have central air. The marginal cost of adding central air to a new building (which already needs to have a heating system installed) is so small that it has just about no bearing on cost.

I'm not at all saying to stop developers, I'm saying stop buyers who are just using housing stock as investments. IE airbnb units, foreign investors, possible money launders, etc. Make people actually live in the units they are buying that will ease demand and normal people can either afford housing they couldnt otherwise or they can at least have more money in their pocket for other things.

Money laundering is already illegal. If you or Chuck has any evidence this is actually occurring I suggest you call the US Attorney's office or the FBI.

Aren't we all investors if we own homes? Are you trying to ban all second homes? Will you impose this rule on the Cape and Islands as well, which also have a housing crisis and tons of investor properties. Your ideas are unenforceable and most likely illegal as all hell.

(I can't believe I'm saying this but) Central air is not the problem. Just about nothing anywhere in America will be built without central air. Even the cheapest, crappiest cars on the market, for example, have central air. The marginal cost of adding central air to a new building (which already needs to have a heating system installed) is so small that it has just about no bearing on cost.

I don't think you understand at all. I'm aware there's no additional cost to the DEVELOPER by just putting a feature like Central Air (and applicable to other amenities) but it gives the developer the justification to turn a $1500/mo studio to $2500/mo studio. Not because it cost $1000 more a month to put the feature in, but because they can charge the customers more.

1) Not all new buildings are luxury - yours is a stupid statement with no evidence behind it. 2) Prices will not ease as long as demand is present, which it is. We should be increasing the amount of construction, luxury or not, as long as the demand is there.

Lastly, your hairbrained arguments miss something criticial, which is the population of the city is increasing every year. IF your theory held water, we'd be building new towers BUT the population would decrease because the new towers are only for money launderers who don't live there, while everybody else is priced out. Yet, the city gains about 10K a year in people. Can't wait to see you explain that one away....

Insulting others and calling people names just reflects badly on you. Maybe raise your level of discourse a bit and stop acting in a childish manner.

Every. single. new. unit. in. the. downtown.core.is.luxury. It not even a debate. Sure everything calls itself luxury and in Everett next to train tracks its not. I'm not arguing that.

Of course the population is increasing and of course there are better jobs in the city I have never said there werent. I'm saying maybe 10%? 20%? 30, 40, 50 who knows are falsely inflating the housing market and it hurts every one of us. And we should be making more of an effort to weed those people out

I don't think you understand at all. I'm aware there's no additional cost to the DEVELOPER by just putting a feature like Central Air (and applicable to other amenities) but it gives the developer the justification to turn a $1500/mo studio to $2500/mo studio. Not because it cost $1000 more a month to put the feature in, but because they can charge the customers more.

I understand, man. But there's no way that anything (including public housing) is getting built in 2018 without central air.

If you want to make a policy push to ban central air in new developments, go ahead... I wish you the best of luck.

I understand, man. But there's no way that anything is getting built in 2018 without central air.

If you want to make a policy push to ban central air in new developments, go ahead... I wish you the best of luck.

I want to make a policy push to increase the number of affordable housing in the city. If they can't do it through a no frills type of method, which to me doesn't sound impossible since several luxury product such as cars, phones, flights out there has a no frills type option, then the government should cap some of these prices. I guess the micro units they are building in theory fit the bill, except they still priced it at a luxury rate, using "hip" as a selling point for the additional cost.

I want to make a policy push to increase the number of affordable housing in the city. If they can't do it through a no frills type of method, which to me doesn't sound impossible since several luxury product such as cars, phones, flights out there has a no frills type option, then the government should cap some of these prices. I guess the micro units they are building in theory fit the bill, except they still priced it at a luxury rate, using "hip" as a selling point for the additional cost.

I'm with you on wanting to increase affordable housing. I'm amenable to increasing the inclusionary zoning affordability requirement of new developments (new Walsh-era increases -- which most past developments of even recent years were not subject to -- are starting to take effect (in Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville, for example) and that's a good thing). I'm 100% on board with municipal housing authorities getting their act together and expanding true public housing options and building up city lots and existing housing developments for this purpose (private partners can play a role in this).

What I'm not for is demonizing new market rate development, as it is NOT the enemy of affordable housing. If anything, it's an ally. New expensive housing takes pressure off existing housing. That's a good thing.

And as far no frills "cars, phones, flights," those exist because there is not a supply cap on those products. When supply caps are imposed, production moves up market. When Reagan limited the import of Japanese cars, Toyota launched the Lexus brand. That's how supply constraints work in theory and in practice. Housing development (especially in Boston) faces huge supply restraints, so the new stuff we get is upmarket. Loosing these constraints will allow cheaper price options to become more plentiful.

Project Summary Sheet;

(last update March 29, 2018) i'll be adding about 30 significant projects in the coming days; please pm about errors.

proposed, rooftop heights;
*(Boston or mass.gov spearheading projects)

1. 26 Court Street 61 stories 725' *(exploratory proposal)

2. 1 Bromfield St/Midwood Investment 59 stories 709' (latest design sent back by the BCDC)

3. Harbor Garage Tower/Central Wharf 48 stories 600' (moving forward).

4. 2 Charlesgate West/Transnational 30 stories 367'

5. 51 High Street 29 stories 360'

6. u/r*290 Tremont St/Parcel P12 Chinatown 171 units 30 stories 348'

7. 15 Harrison Avenue/Drago and Toscano/Chinatown hotel 26 stories 325'

8. Motor Mart Garage development 26 stories 310'

9. 436 Atlantic Ave/J Hook tower 24 stories 305'.

10. 560 Commonwealth Ave hotel/Kenmore Sq/Fenway 382 rooms 161,000 sq ft 24-stories 291'

11. 88 Seaport Blvd/Seaport 485,000 sq ft 18 stories 262'

12. Fort Point Residences/Berkeley Investments 20 stories 255'.

13. flag this one 21. Hood Office Park lab tower 250'

14. Cambridge Crossing/ Parcel 1 Residences 475 units 250 pkg 390,000 sq ft 21 stories 250'

15. *One Charlestown/BHA/Bunker Hill total project; 3,200 units, 3.3M sq ft,
incl dozens of row houses and 100,000 sq ft of civic and retail space

16. *One Charlestown/ BHA/Building F/Charlestown; 21 stories 250'

17. *One Charlestown/ BHA/Building N/Charlestown 20 stories 236'

18. *One Charlestown/ BHA/Building O/Charlestown; 20 stories 236'

19. 655 Beacon St hotel/Kenmore Square/Fenway 295 rooms/ 73 parking 186,000 sq ft 19 stories 242'

20. 73 Essex St/Chinatown hotel 137,000 sq ft 17 stories 235'

flag 21. 150 Kneeland St/Leather District 21 stories 231'

22. 659 Commonwealth Ave/ BU Dorm 17 stories 218'

23. *BHA/McCormack Housing Complex Redo/Old Colony Ave/South Boston 3,200~3,500 units on 27 acres.

24. *776 Summer St/ L Street Station/South Boston Mixed Res/retail/ office 1,588 units 2.1M sq ft

25. *Allston Yards/60 Everett St/Allston 1000 units

aaaa july 12 26. 112 Shawmut Avenue 3 Buildings 536 units 660,456 sq ft 165'

u/r 27. 36~705 Sprague St/Readville Station/Hyde Park 521 units 557,000 sq ft

28. 55 wheeler street/ Alewife Station/ cambridge 526 units 500,000 sq ft

29. Quincy Center/Quincy ~500 residential units (condos + apts)

30. Queensbury Garage area Residences/ Fenway 400 units.

31. 45-47 Townsend St/Roxbury 322 Units 380,000 sq ft

32. Harrison Avenue Tower/ Ink Block/South End 245 units 14 stories 170'

u/r 33. 144 Addison St/ East Boston two, 5-story bldgs 270 units, 179 parking spaces 241,000 sq ft

aaa may 17th 34. 40 Rugg Road/Allston 262 units 177 parking spaces 251,033 sq ft

aaaa jun15 35. 105 W South Street mixed use/residential incl 218 units 250,000 sq ft

36. 780 American Legion Hwy

37. 112 Shawmut Avenue/South End/ 155 units 180,200 sq ft 13 stories 170'

38. 174 Ipswitch St/Boston Arts Academy/Fenway ~180,000 sq ft

39. Newtonville/Kofrf/Newton 151 1-2 bdrm units.

40. Mattapan Station/Mattapan 135 units 167,000 sq ft

41. 40 Mount Hood Rd/ Brighton 178 units 142 prkg spaces 163,000 sq ft

42. 1241 Boylston St/ Fenway 184 hotel rooms 105,000 sq ft

43. 37-43 North Beacon Street/ Allston 74 units 87,484 sq ft (proposed)

44. 70 Baker Street/West Roxbury 56 units 77,738 sq ft

45. 301-303 Border Street/ East Boston 64 units + retail 75,167 sq ft

46. 944-946 Saratoga Street/ East Boston 39 units + 42 parking spaces 55,000 sq ft

47. 11 Burney St/ Mission Hill 31 units 32,000 sq ft (proposed)

48. 1 Harrison St/ South End 63 units 45 prkg spaces 91,547 sq ft

49. 500 Talbot Avenue/ Dorchester 40 units 23 prkg spaces 49,500 sq ft

approved but, delayed or unbuilt....

1. Copley Place Tower/Back Bay 52 stories 625'
(approved 2015/ put indefinitely on hold in Oct 2016)

2. Columbus Center; 34 stories 420'
(approved 2007/cancelled in 2008/ Bostonplans searching for a new developer).

3. 380 Stewart Street/JHT #3/Back Bay 26 stories 390'
(approved 11 Nov 2015 has gone quiet)

4. South Station #3 (offices) 9 stories above garage 249'
(phase 3 of South Station redevelopment/ delayed)

5. Boston Landing Hotel Boston 175 rooms 16 stories 236' (on hold)

6. 104 Canal/Boutique Hotel/West End 15 Stories 191' 90 rooms (has gone quiet)

approved, +/- construction, topped, +/- cladding or completed;
*(year = year project completed, constr = under construction).

black ink denotes not yet u/c.....

1. 1 Dalton Street/Four Seasons/Back Bay 61 stories 742' (topped/cladded)

2. 115 Winthrop Sq Main Tower/Downtown 52 Stories 691' (constr).

3. Millennium Tower/Downtown Crossing 60 stories 685' (2016)

4. South Station Tower; 51 stories 677' (construction 2019)

5. Govt Center office tower/Downtown 43 stories + tall mech screen 647' tip (construction 2019)

6. 115 Winthrop Sq Tower #2/Downtown 45 Stories 579' (constr).

7. Govt Center residential tower/Downtown 45 stories 547' (2nd level)

8. *Air Rights Parcel 15 Tower #1/Back Bay/Weiner Ventures w/ Prudential 34 Stories stories 544' (approved March 15, 2018)

9. TD Garden office tower/West End 525,000 sq ft ~21 stories over the podium 510' rooftip (8th level).

10. Residential tower on MIT's 10 acre Volpe site 30 stories 500'

11. TD Garden resident tower/West End 45 stories 496' (40th level)

12. Garden Garage Tower/West End 44 stories 485' (constr)

13. "Avalon North Station/West End 38 stories 449' (2016)

14. 40 Trinity Place/Back Bay 33 stories 446' (construction 2019)

15. Atlantic Wharf 32 stories 436' (2011)

16. Back Bay Station tower #1 (residences) 34 stories ~413' (approved Nov 16, 2017)

17. The Huntington/Fenway 32 stories 400' (approved Dec 14, 2017)

18. 145 Broadway resident tower/Kendall Sq/Cambridge 33 Stories 395' (site prep)

19. *Back Bay Station tower #2 (offices) 24 stories 390' (approved Nov 16, 2017)

20. 260-290 Main Street/Kendall Sq/Cambridge SOMA Building 4/ Dorm Tower 28 stories 381' (constr)

21. DOT Research tower on MIT's Volpe Sq development site ~380'

22. The Pierce/Fenway 30 stories 378' (2018)

23. Wynn Casino & Tower/Everett 700 rooms 2.1M sq ft 27 stories 371' (2019)

24. 45 Province Street 31 Stories 367' (2009)

25. The Clarendon/Back Bay 32 stories ~345' (2010)

26. Govt Center #3 residential tower/Downtown 27 stories 336' (phase 3 of Govt Center redevelopment)

27. South Station #2 (residential) 28 stories 332' (phase 2 of South Station redevelopment)

28. 45 Stewart St/AVA Theater District 29 stories 332' (2015)

29. Avalon Exeter 28 stories 331' (2014)

30. StuVi2/33 Harry Agganis Way/BU 26 stories 331' (2010)

31. Back Bay Station tower #3 26 stories 325' (approved Nov 16, 2017)

32. 157 Berkeley Street/Liberty Mutual 22 stories ~325' (2013)

33. 540 Albany Street/ Flower Exchange main tower 321' (approved 2018)

34. *Rio Grande/Dudley Square mixed use incl 211 units 293,193 sq ft 25 stories 320' (approved 2018)

35. 145 Broadway/Kendall Sq offices 20 stories 314' (topped/cladding)

36. The Kensington Apts 27 stories 313' (2013)

37. 100 Stewart St/"W" Hotel Hotel & Residences 26 stories 310' (2010)

38. 30 Dalton St 26 stories 306' (2016)

39. Fenway Center main tower 27 stories 305' (phase 2 of 1.4M sq ft air-right's project)

40. MIT East Campus "NoMa Building 1"/ Kendall Square/Cambridge 300' (constr)

41. Radian 26 stories 291' (2014)

42. 88 Ames St (Cambridge) 23 stories 290' (2018)

43. 888 Boylston 17 stories 286' (2016)

44. Tremont Crossing Tower #1 22 stories 284' (approved 3-03-17)

45. Tremont Crossing Tower #2 20 stories 254' (approved 3-03-17)

46. 578 Huntington/Tree House/Mass College of Art 21 stories 280' (2013)

47. MIT East Campus "SoMa Building 5"/ Kendal Square/Cambridge 390,000 sq ft 280' (constr)

48. Archstone North Point 1 22 stories 280' (2009)

49. Andrews Sq/South Boston Tower 1 21 Stories, 278' (constr)

50. Seaport Square Block L4/ Amazon/ Seaport 525,000 sq ft 17 stories 274' (constr)

51. 240 Tremont/Marriot Moxy 23 stories 273' (topped/cladding)

52. 10 Burke Street residence hall #1/ Northeastern U 21 stories 272' (topped/cladding)

53. 10 Burke St Residence Hall #2/ Northeastern U 16 stories 189' (2019)

54. Assembly Row (Block 8) tower/Assembly Sq/ Somerville 500 units sq ft 23 stories 273'

55. Assembly's Edge Residences/Assembly Sq/ Somerville 215 units + 199 pkg spaces 255'

56. 'Montaje'/Assembly Row/Assembly Sq/ 20 stories 243' (2018) 447 units

57. Partner's Healthcare/ Assembly Row/ Somerville 232'

58. 1 Seaport Square/Seaport; 2 towers, 1.1M sq ft, 832 residential units
w/ 250,000 SF of retail & 775 parking spaces

59. 1 Seaport Square "The Benjamin" 22 stories 266' (2018)

60. 1 Seaport Square "VIA" 20 stories 262' (2017)

61. 150 Seaport Sq/St Regis Residences 22 stories 266' (constr)

62. Waterside Place 1a 20 stories 260' (2015)

63. Waterside Place 1b 23 stories 264' (constr)

64. 399 Congress Street 414 units 22 stories 264' (constr)

65. 75 Ames St/ Broad Inst Labs/ Cambridge 300,000 sq ft 14 stories 263' (2014)

66. 121 Seaport Blvd 17 stories 262' (2018)

67. *Omni Hotel BCEC/Seaport total project 800,000 sq ft tower #1 500 rooms 20 stories 260' (constr)

68. *Omni Hotel BCEC/Seaport tower #2 500 rooms 20 stories 260' (constr)

69. Pier 4 Residential Tower/136-146 Northern Avenue 22 stories 260' (2015)

70. Pier 4 Office tower/Seaport 199' (2018)

71. Pier 4 residential low rise 106 units (topped/ cladding)

72. 99 Kneeland Street/1 Greenway Phase 1/Chinatown 21 stories 260' (2015)

73. Echelon/Parcel M1/M2/Seaport $865M/1.3M sq ft Tower #1 spanning 14-21 stories, 275 units 255' (topped)

74. Echelon/Parcel M1/M2/Seaport Tower #2 spanning 11-21 stories 180 units 255' (constr)

75. Echelon/Parcel M1/M2/Seaport Tower #3 spanning 10-21 stories 280 units 255' (constr)

76. 47 La Grange St/Theater District 21 stories ~255' (approved June 15, 2017)

77. 315 on A/Berkeley Investments 207 units 258,000 sq ft 20 stories 255' (2013)

78. 401 Park Drive/Landmark Office Tower 16 stories 250' (construction 2018)

80. 20 Child Street/"Twenty/20"/North Point/Cambridge 355 units 20 stories ~242'

81. Troy North Tower/55 Traveler St/South End (378 units incl South Tower) 330,000 sq ft 19 stories 236' (2016)

82. Troy South Tower/246 E. Berkeley St/South End 140' (2016).

83. Boston Landing Residences/Brighton 295 units 17 stories 236' (2018)

84. 212 Stewart St/Bay Village; 19 stories 230' (constr)

85. 100 Northern Avenue/Fan Pier 17 stories 230' 516,000 sq ft (2016)

86. Lovejoy Wharf Residences/North End 17 stories 228' (2016)

87. Quaker Lane/Congress Square/Downtown 17 floors 228' (2019)

88. 160 Mass Ave/Berklee College of Music 16 stories 224' (2014)

89. Julie Hall dorm/Emmanuel College/Fenway 691 beds 267,500 sq ft 19 stories 223' (2018)

90. 360 Longwood Ave/Longwood Medical Area/Mission Hill 413,000 ft 12 stories 223' (2015)

91. 75. Mass and Main/Central Square 19 stories 308 units (285+23) 219' (constr).

92. 1350 Boylston/Skanska/Fenway 17 stories 220' (2018)

93. Emerson College/Boylston Place/Theater District 18 stories 218' (2017)

94. 540 Albany Street/Flower Exchange site 2nd tower 215' total project 1.6M sq ft

95. 540 Albany Street/Flower Exchange Bldg #3

96. The Viridian/Fenway 342 units 18 stories 214' (2015)

97. Andrew Square Bldg C/South Boston 18 stories 214' (constr)

98. Fenway Trilogy/Fenway 17 stories 211' 576 units (2009)

99. 50 Liberty/Seaport 14 stories 211' (2018)

100. MIT East Campus "SoMa Building 2"/ Kendal Square/Cambridge 316,000 sq ft 200' (constr).

101. 145 Broadway/Kendall Sq #3/Cambridge 14 Stories 200' (constr).

102. 22 Liberty/Seaport 14 stories 199' (2015)

103. 291 St Botolph St/Grandmarc Tower/ Northeastern U 17 stories 198' (2014)

104. The Eddy/East Boston 16 stories 194' (2016)

105. Zinc/Northpoint Cambridge 392 units 528,000 sq ft 15 stories 193' (2015)

106. Fenway Center/ Beacon & Maitland St mid-rise tower 191'
total 1.4M sq ft Phase 1 312 units (construction Jan 2018)

107. 1325 Boylston/Van Ness/Fenway 14 stories 180' (2015)

108. Fenway Triangle offices/Fenway 180' (2015)

109. 100 Binney Street/Cambridge 12 stories 417,000 sq ft 180' (2017)

more notable/high density projects approved, underway or completed

110. 660 Summer St/Marine Wharf/Seaport 14 stories 320,000 sq ft 411 rooms 175'
duel branded/Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites hotel complex (constr)

111. 580 Washington St/Millennium Place/Theater District 14 stories 164' 391,000 sq ft (2013)

107. 315 Northern Ave/Parcel K #1 apts/ Seaport 304 units 12 stories total/1+2: 500,000 sq ft (constr)

108. 315 Northern Ave/Parcel K #2 hotel/Seaport 293 rooms (constr)

109. Dorchester Ave Planning initiative/South Boston: residential 7-8M sq ft, Office 6-7M sq ft Ground floor retail ~1 m sq ft

110. Northpoint Cambridge/HYM mixed office/residential 5.2M sq ft: (2.7M sq ft 2700 units +2.5M sq ft office).

111. *MIT/Volpe residences/Cambridge 1.7M sq ft offices + 1400 units

112. Massachusetts Institute of Technology East Campus area projects, incl labs, dorms, edu bldgs and renovations >4.2M sq ft.

113. MIT Kendall Sq Bldg #4/Cambridge (construction)

114. 610 Main St MIT/Pfizer bldg/Cambridge 280,000 sq ft (2017)

115. MIT Nano/Nanotech Lab/Cambridge 240,000 sq ft (cladding)
se

116. Harvard University/Cambridge projects + rehabs >3M sq ft ~$4B

117. Harvard University School of Government/(addition)/Cambridge 77,000 sq ft (construction)

118. Harvard U/Allston Campus 7 bldgs ~$2.4B >1.4M sq ft + 2 rehabs (construction)

119. Harvard U Science Bldg/Allston 491,000 sq ft (construction)

120. Harvard U Klarman Hall & G2 Pavilion 100,000 sq ft academic space + 1000 seat pavilion (construction)

121. 141 N. Harvard St/Barry's Corner Resident & Retail Commons/ Allston 325 units + retail 350,000 sq ft (2015)

122. 219 Western Avenue/The Continuum/Allston 325 units + retail 350,000 sq ft [Samuels/Weiner land use from Harvard U (2015)]

123. Harvard University/370-400 Western Avenue/Allston 240 rental units

124. Boston Landing Sports Complex and Offices 1.4M sq ft (constr)

Bullfinch Triangle development

126. 88 N. Washington St/Valenti Sq Boutique Hotel/North End 72 rooms 14 stories 160' (approved 17 March 2017)

127. 101 Canal Steet/Archstone Avenir/Bullfinch Triangle/West End 241 units 315,000 sq ft (2010)

128. 110 Beverly St/The Victor/Bullfinch Triangle/West End 286 rental units 365,000 sq ft. (2014)

129. One Canal St/Bullfinch Triangle/West End 164' 435,000 sq ft (2017)

130. Parcels 1B & 1C residences & hotel Bulfinch Triangle/North End 13 stories 166' 484,000 sq ft (2018)

Harrison-Albany Corridor

130. Inc Block residences/South End 315 units 549,000 sq ft (2018)

131. 89 E Dedham St/660 Harrison/ "Harrison-Albany Block"/ South End 710 residential units 700,000 sq ft (constr)

132. 345 Harrison Ave/South End 12 stories 560 units 515,000 sq ft 160' (cladding)

133. 379-380 Harrison Ave (The Berkeley)/South End 273 units 356,000 sq ft 14 stories (constr)

134. 321 Harrison Ave/South End 220,000 sq ft 160' (approved 15 Sept, 2016).

135. 600 Harrison Ave/The Girard/South End 193 units 200,000 sq 5 (2017)

136. Boston Med Ctr/ambulatory care bldg/South End 240,000 sq ft (2017)

137. 105A S. Huntington/Serenity/Jamaica Plain 14 stories/185 units 164' (2017)

138. Fenway Van Ness tower 172 units 14 Stories 164' (2015)

139. 65 Seaport Blvd/Yotel Hotel/Seaport 326 rooms 11 stories 164' (2017)

140. *Hood development parcel/480-570 Rutherford Avenue/Charlestown mixed development project total 1.2M sq ft....

141. 572 Rutherford Avenue/Charlestown mixed development 270,000 sq ft (construction)....

142. 480 Rutherford Avenue/Charlestown 177 units 200,000 sq ft (constr)....

143. ...and 32 Cambridge Street/ Charlestown 171 Units 138,000 sq ft (constr)

144. River Works Station/Lynn/1200 units (construction 2019)

145. 101 Allstate Road/"South Bay Ctr" expansion 1.1M sq ft: 475 units, 130 hotel rooms, 120,000 sq ft of retail (constr)

146. 235 Old Colony Ave/Andrews Sq/South Boston [total project 8 bldgs] 656 units 735,000 sq ft (constr)

147. Education First Phase 1/ Cambridge 200,000 sq ft (2011)

148. Education First Phase 2/ 250,000 sq ft 172' (2014)

149. Education First Phase 3/ Cambridge 300,000 sq ft 12 stories 162' (2019)

150. Children's Hospital expansion/Mission Hill 500,000 sq ft 11 stories 160' (constr)

151. Roxbury Crossing/Parcel 25/Mission Hill 88 units 350,000 sq ft retail/office/residential 160' (constr)

152. 14 West Broadway/South Boston 180,000 sq ft 152' (topped)

153. 159-201 Washington St./ Brighton 660 units 584,000 sq ft (approved 16 Nov 2017)

Kendall Sq

154. 100 Binney Street/Cambridge 12 stories 417,000 sq ft 160' (2017)

155. 50 & 60 Binney Street/Kendall Sq/Cambridge 10 stories 541,000 sq ft 140' (2017)

156. 75/125 Binney St Kendall Sq/Cambridge 388,000 sq ft (2017)

157. 121-139 First St/Cambridge 325,000 sq ft (constr)

158. 399 Binney Street lab/Cambridge 165,000 sq ft (constr)

159. GE Headquarters Building/Ft Point *main building of 700k sq ft complex (construction 2019)

Somerville

160. Assembly Row Alloy residences, hotel, retail (condos)/Somerville 13 stories 267,000 sq ft total; 1.8M sq ft 166' (2018)

161. Assembly Row lowrise infill & offices/Somerville 760,000 sq ft

162. Assembly Row Boutique hotel/Assembly Sq/ Somerville 159 rooms (2018)

163. Assembly's Edge hotel/Assembly Sq/Somerville 180 rooms 162'

164. Assembly Row (Block 8) offices/retail/Assembly Sq/Somerville total 525,000 sq ft (250/200k)

165. Broadway Apartments/Somerville 180 units

166. Northeastern University projects >750,000 sq ft

167. Boston University projects >600,000 sq ft

168. Boston College projects >600,000 sq ft

169. 215 First/50 Second/300 Third Sts/Kendall Sq/Cambridge - 622,000 sq ft (2017)

170. 303 3rd St/Cambridge 531 units (2010)

171. Roxbury/Jamaica Plain/Mission Hill infill & small projects >1,000 units

172. South Boston infill & small projects >800 units

173. Cambridge/Somerville/Malden/Melrose infill & small projects >800 units

174. Allston/Brighton infill & small projects >500 unit

175. 169 A Street/1 Channel Center/South Boston 525,000 sq ft (2015)

176. 660 Ocean Ave/Waterfront Square/Revere 424 units (2016)

177. Brookline Place Expansion/Brookline Village 465,000 sq ft (230,000 sq ft medical offices + 683 space garage)

178. 6 Tide Street/Innovation Square/ Seaport Office/Lab 360,000 (constr)

179. 125 Amory Street/ Jamaica Plain 360 units 320,000 sq ft (approved February 8th, 2018)

180. Residences at Alewife Station/Cambridge 320 units 325,000 sq ft (construction 2018)

181. 8 Industrial Dr/ Readville Yard 5/ Hyde Park/ 5 bldgs 249,845 square feet (constr permits issued)

182. Roxbury Crossing/Parcel 25 mixed use retail/office/residential 305,000 sq ft (constr)

183. 3611 Washington Street/Metromark Apts/Jamaica Plain 283 units 300,000 sq ft (constr)

184. Alewife Research Center/35 Cambridge Park Dr/ Cambridge 289,000 sq ft (2019).

185. UMass Boston Dorms/South Boston 1,077-beds 260,000 sq ft (2018)

186. 375-399 Chestnut Hill Avenue [Circle Cinema]/Brighton mixed use retail + 92 large units 218,520 sq ft (constr)

187. 795 Columbus Avenue/ Northeastern Univ Interdisciplinary Science & Engineering Center/ Roxbury 198,000 sq ft (2017)

188. 290 Huntington Ave/ NE Conservatory Student Life and Performance Center/Fenway 250 beds 200,000 sq ft (2017)

189. 33 Gainsborough Street/NE Conservatory/Academic and Admn Bldg 65,000 sq ft

Mission Hill/Jamaica Plain

190. 161 S. Huntington Avenue/Olmsted Place/Jamaica Plain 196-units (2015)

200. 201 South Huntington Avenue/Jamaica Plain/ 149 units 150,000 sq ft

197. Mosaic/Mission Hill 145 units 180,000 sq ft 149' (2017)

198. 800 Huntington Ave/Mass Eye and Ear/Mission Hill 90,000 sq ft (2013)

199. 1457, 67, 70 Tremont Street/ Mission Hill 81 units 91,000 sq ft [(total) constr]

200. 95 St. Alphonsus St/Longwood II Residences/Mission Hill 115 units 112,000 sq ft (approved November 16 2017)

201. 555 Parker Street/Wentworth Bio-Eng Bldg/Mission Hill 78,000 sq ft (topped)

202. 77 Terrace St + 9-11 Burney St/Mission Hill 44 units + 31 units

203. 28-30 Gurney St/ Mission Hill Senior Housing 40 units 50,000 sq ft (2015)

204. 70 Parker Hill Avenue + 35 South Huntington/ Mission Hill 40 + 38 units 90,000 sq ft (2017)

205. Jacqueline Boston Community Ctr/Mission Hill

East Boston

176. Clippership Wharf Condo's/East Boston/Lendlease/Winn 478 units 555,000 sq ft (constr)

178. 29 Marginal Street/Portside at Pier 1/East Boston total; 368 condos + 177 apartments, 500,000 sq ft (2017)

206. Boston East/126 Border St/East Boston 196 units (constr)

16 Boardman St/ Hilton Garden Inn/ / East Boston 262 rooms 155,000 sq ft (approved Nov 16, 2017)

216. 99 Sumner Street/East Boston 119 units 125,000 sq ft (approved Jul 13, 2017)

220. 75 Border Street/80 Liverpool Street/ "Coppersmith Village" East Boston 71 Units 114,091 sq ft (constr)

255. 114 Orleans Ave +10-16 Everett St + 75 Liverpool Street/East Boston 64 res units

South Boston

7. Boston Globe building redevelopment

207. 262 Monsignor O'Brien Hwy/Cambridge 200,000 sq ft (2017) [/COLOR]

208. 105 First Avenue/Chain Forge hotel/Charlestown Navy Yard 231 rooms 160,000 sq ft

209. 105 First Avenue/Rope Walk Residences/Charlestown Navy Yard 97 apt units 160,000 sq ft

213. 235 St Botolph Street/NE Conservatory/Student Life & Performance Ctr/ Fenway 135,000 sq ft 11 stories 149' (2017)

214. 530 Western Ave/Brighton 132 units 130,000 sq ft (constr)

215. Parcel 9/Haymarket boutique hotel/Downtown 225 rooms (constr) [/COLOR]

217. 89 Brighton Avenue 130 units 120,000 sq ft (construction 2018)

218. 45 West Third/South Boston 105 units + parking spaces w/ retail (2018)

219. 61-83 Braintree St/Allston 80 units 110,000 sq ft (2017)

221. 249 Third Street Cambridge 84 units (constr).

222. 1971 Dorchester Ave/Treadmark/Dorchester 83 units 110,000 sq ft

224. 46 & 88 Wareham St/South End mixed office & residential incl ~60 units ~90,000 sq ft (constr)

225. 6 West Broadway Hotel/South Boston 156 rooms 87,000 sq ft (2018)

226. 20 West Fifth St. Ceinture/South Boston 52 units 80,000 sq ft (approved Jan 11, 2018)

227. 9 Channel Center Street/ South Boston 72,562 sq ft (2016)

228. 112 + 136 Shawmut Ave/South End 155 units +33 units 13 stories/10 stories 149' (2018)

229. Seaport Transportation Center Garage/Seaport 1604 spaces (2018)

230. 525 Huntington/Wentworth Dorms/Fenway 305 beds (2015)

232. 46 Hichborn Street/ Brighton 46 units 49,679 sq ft (approved Dec 14, 2017)

233. 45 West Third/South Boston 105 units + parking spaces w/ retail (constr)

Malden

234. The Pioneer/"Mystic Side area" of Malden 286 units

235. 100-150 Exchange Street/Malden 210 units w/ retail 275,000 sq ft (2017)

236. 150 River's Edge/Malden/ 282 units (2016)

237. 200 River's Edge/Lab/Malden #1 116,000 sq ft (2015)

238. 200 River's Edge/Lab/Malden #2 116,000 sq ft (2019)

239. 341 Forest Street/ Malden 80 units assisted living (2017)

240. 180 Eastern Avenue/Malden 86 units 120,000 sq ft (2018)

Chelsea

179. 201 Maple St/ Chelsea FBI HQ Bldg 275,000 sq ft (2016)

180. 100 Heard St/One North/Chelsea (1 & 2) 452 units (2016)

260. 950 Broadway/ Chelsea 38 units (2010)

261 242 Spencer Avenue/ Chelsea 34 units (2018)

Watertown

173. Arsenal Yards residences/Watertown 503 units (constr)

174. Arsenal Yards offices & retail/Watertown 350,000 sq ft (constr)

175. Arsenal Yards Hampton Inn/Watertown 145 rooms (constr)

241. 20 Somerset Street/Suffolk University academic bldg reconstruction/
112,000 sq ft (1930/2015)

242. 55 India St/Downtown 40 units 67,000 sq ft (delayed)

243. 110 Broad St/The Boulevard/Downtown 40 units 84,000 sq ft 12 stories 160' (2019)

245. 100 West Second Street/Artists for Humanity/Fort Point 57,000 sq ft (constr)

246. 22 Boston Wharf Road/Stillings Garage Expansion/Fort Point 54,700 sq ft (2018)

247. 205 E Street residences/South Boston 50,000 sq ft (2017)

248. Little Building reconstruction/Emerson/Theater District/ + 294 additional beds (2018)

249. 839 Beacon Street and 44 Burbank Street/Fenway 45 + 34 units (2018)

250. 3353 Washington St/Jamaica Plain 44 units (2018)

251. The Vault/Lynn 49 units (2018)

252. 1650 Commonwealth Avenue/(The Aberdeen) Brighton 40 condo units 50,000 sq ft (2018)

253. 256 Dorchester Street/South Boston 32 units 46,000 square feet (approved Dec 14, 2017)

254. 395 Colombia Rd./Charter School/ Dorchester 41,000 sq ft (approved November 16, 2017)

256. 495 Western Avenue/Charles River Community Health Ctr/Brighton 48,000 sq ft (2016)

257. Porter Square: Porter Square Hotel + 1971 Mass Ave residences + Beacon Street Hotel + Hotel Cambridge]/Cambridge (2015, 2017, 2018, 2018)

88 Hudson Street/Chinatown 51 units 59,992 sq ft (2017)

77 Warren Street 101 units 110,000 sq ft (constr)

258. 1650 Soldier’s Field Road/Maserati-Alfa Romeo auto sales 27,000 sq ft (approved Dec 14, 2017)

259. 198 Hanover Street/North End residential/ retail (constr)

261. Dewitt Community Center/ Roxbury

244 Hanover Street/ North End 28 units [/COLOR]

parcels to watch;

1. 125 Lincoln Street (400-680')

2. Columbus Ctr tower and mid-rise cluster over the Mass Pike (420')

3. Dot Parcels 25, 26, 27 & 28, Leather District (2 X 300') + midrise

4. Beach Street Garage (300~325')

5. Suffolk Downs

6. 601 Newbury Street

7. Queensberry Street Garage/Fenway (proposal)

Lord & Taylor (280~340')

8. 200 Stuart Street Garage.

9. Dock Square Garage (proposal)

10. 1 Merrimack St, Bulfinch Triangle (165-260')

11. Widett Circle

12. several new air rights projects currently under study by Mass DOT.

13. Wonderland Dog Track

14. 500 Western Avenue/Allston

15. the Northern Avenue Bridge/Ft Point Channel

Failed during review phase....

1. Southbay Tower/ Parcel 27 Leather District, 67 stories 800' (killed by FAA)

2. 1 Bromfield St/Midwood Investment 59 stories 709' (latest design sent back by the BCDC)

3.1065 Boylston/ Boylston Square (originally proposed for 59 stories 650').
encountered intense opposition by Back Bay/ Fenway community groups

4. 45 Worthington St/Equity Residential 35 stories 390' (sacked after neighborhood pushback).

5. 1 Joslin Place 29 Stories 340' (cancelled)

6. 533 Washington St 29 stories 303' (sacked after neighborhood pushback)

7. 41 LaGrange St Residences/ Chinatown 126 units 134,000 sq ft 19 stories 235' (cancelled)

8. 171 Tremont St residences/Theater District 13 stories 300' then 250, then 175' (cancelled)
*project site purchased by Emerson College.

Boston Skyline 2021~22...

http://boston.siretechnologies.com/sirepubbra/mobilemtgviewer.aspx?meetid=393&doctype=AGENDA

http://boston.siretechnologies.com/sirepubbra/mobilemtgviewer.aspx?meetid=393&doctype=AGENDA

build baby build another Four Seasons type property at 65 Martha Rd

airbnb too at 15% the units at Tremont Crossing and just build the fucking thing the right height. God forbid someone sleeps in Roxbury that ain't already livin there with their cousins in a closet.

And where is that hotel in Brighton? Where the fuck is 1 Bromfield Street, 104 Canal and Valenti Square ??? SST, Winthrop Square, and the Harbor Garage are about 10 years late already.

How 'bout the fuck we just develop properly like a real God damned city?

Then maybe the .gov can actually afford to fix their railway.

Last edited:

Back