Dorchester Bay City (nee Bayside Expo Ctr.) | Columbia Point

Columbia Point Master Plan

Final community meeting for master plan being held this Thursday, December 10 at 6:30 p.m. at the Corcoran Mullen Jennison Community Building at 270 Mt. Vernon Street.

To see and/or download the Draft Master Plan, or to review any materials from Task Force meetings that have taken place over the last 20 months leading up to preparation of the Draft Master Plan, please go to: http://www.tinyurl.com/ColumbiaPoint

Re: Bayside Expo Center Redevelopment

Looking at the master plan, what is with the awkwardly wide boulevard in the midst of this thing. Are Morrisey Bvd. and I-93 not enough traffic arteries for this area? Was there a crushing need for some kind of imitation Champs-Elysees? Or will this just be some awkward suburban landscaping mashed between the over-wide street and the buildings that are supposed to be lining it?

I'm guessing it just looked kewl when the planner drew it. Some kind of variation on the longitudinal triangle parks that are all the rage among planners for some reason.

I've been following and involved with this process since it's in my backyard...

- It took two years to plan this area. The master plan to be released looks almost exactly like the original plan from two years ago. This fed a lot of mouths at the BRA to drag this process out.

- The other big delay was waiting to get this out after the mayoral election. It was stalled specifically for this reason (this is my claim/opinion, not "fact" I only have circumstantial evidence to back this claim up)

- This whole process was meant to slow down the proposals in place, such as the Bayside Expo site. Taking two years meant that the Bayside owners (C/J) went bankrupt waiting for the government red tapers to hem and haw and decide to propose, two years later, what was originally proposed anyway.

- The wide boulevard: The traffic at the K circle is such a horrible mess, but instead of fixing it, the planners basically said "OK, we have a traffic nightmare, we're going to add 3.5M SF of office, and we can't fix the circle... because we're government employees and it's all red tape" that's Federal highway ramps. The circle is designated "historic". Our elected officials are enslaved by these regulations. So the problem isn't being fixed, instead, laughably, they are proposing new grand boulevards to circumvent (not fix) the existing problem.

At first glance I really like it, though for wanting a neighborhood where you don't need to drive there are an awful lot of parking garages.

What I really like is really smart use of open space (courtyards, squares, bike paths, etc), not just "open space" for the sake of open space.

Any ballpark estimates of when this project would actually get going?

The Shaw's supermarket site may be the first one to get moving. Corcoran/Jennison still owns some of the land although the lost the Bayside Expo site, which a lender now owns. So those massive, key parcels are in disarray.

If not the Shaw's site, the JFK station air rights may end up being one of the first projects to get moving, but the draft Master Plan calls for 22-story buildings here to help offset the cost of building on and around the tracks, and this is the last source of contention among the neighbors.

Then of course we'll have the bankruptcy of the Boston Globe and then that site will come into play.

So basically, the parcels in the corridor between I-93 and Morrissey are more likely to get moving in the next 2-3 years, and the ones to the east of Morrissey to the water are more likely to be a 3-5 year wait.

^^ Hopefully your right

It will be a slam dunk. Who doesn't love living at the beach?

Oh gawd, if any of you guys want some free entertainment at the expense of idiots, check out the neighborhood comments file from that BRA link.

Although it was only a few short seconds until my initial amusement wore off and I realized that NIMBYs are no fun at all.

BEWARE THE 'BOSTON BRONX'

Oh gawd, if any of you guys want some free entertainment at the expense of idiots, check out the neighborhood comments file from that BRA link.

Although it was only a few short seconds until my initial amusement wore off and I realized that NIMBYs are no fun at all.

BEWARE THE 'BOSTON BRONX'

I had no idea but apparently:
- Buildings taller than 3-4 stories cannot make a "real" neighborhood and will breed crime
- We shouldn't build anything at all on Columbia Point because traffic is already bad, and more traffic will make pollution worse
- The shadows from the tall buildings will put everyone into total darkness
- Building "tall" buildings on Columbia Point will ruin the historic Savin Hill neighborhood
- No matter how little parking you build, people will still bring lots of cars except they'll park them in all the nearby residential neighborhoods

The Shaw's supermarket site may be the first one to get moving

But hopefully whatever is built there will incorporate a replacement supermarket -- the neighborhood needs one.

What the ...? So I guess it wasn't Menino behind the delay.

From the Universal Hub:

UMASS Boston buys Bayside Convention and Exhibition Center land

MEMORANDUM

To: The University Community
Date: December 16, 2009
Subject: Campus news

I am writing to inform you about a unique opportunity that has presented itself to the University of Massachusetts Boston.

UMass Boston has entered into a preliminary agreement with the owners of the Bayside Exposition Center, LNR/CMAT, to purchase that property to help meet our space needs over the next several years as we begin to develop new campus facilities and renovate outdated existing facilities.

We know that the 20-acre Bayside site holds great potential. UMass Boston?s acquisition of the property, in addition to addressing our immediate needs, would initiate a university-led planning process to create a vision for redeveloping the site to support the university?s mission and objectives and enhance our neighborhood. UMass Boston will work with the City of Boston, the Commonwealth, the UMass President?s Office, Columbia Point neighbors, and the surrounding communities to develop a plan that realizes the potential of the site, stimulates economic activity, creates jobs, and brings greater activity and opportunity to Columbia Point and the region.

Additional space will be crucial for UMass Boston as we develop the first new academic facilities on our campus in 35 years. Beginning in 2010, we anticipate starting construction on three new facilities: an Integrated Sciences Complex, a general academic building, and the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate. With our current facilities and parking already strained to capacity, we will need space to replace parking eliminated during the construction process and to house relocated offices and classrooms during renovations to existing buildings.

Over the past year we have looked at a number of properties in the area to assess whether they might serve our purposes. When the Bayside property unexpectedly became available earlier this year through foreclosure, we also considered it, cautiously evaluating its suitability and examining the contingent issues its acquisition could raise. We concluded that Bayside offers a truly unique combination of flexible ready-to-use parking and facility space, proximity, and near- and-long-term value for UMass Boston.

I am pleased to report that this week we reached preliminary agreement with the Bayside owners on a letter of intent, which will allow us to move forward with negotiations toward a purchase and sale agreement, and a subsequent due-diligence period. Our hope is to complete the purchase in the first quarter of 2010.

The current economic climate makes this an ideal time for UMass Boston to invest in its future. To accomplish the acquisition, we would work with the UMass Building Authority, which has had remarkable success selling low-interest bonds for capital projects. Since the Bayside would be purchased using bond funding, it would have little impact on student tuition or fees. In fact, the more than 1,500 existing parking spaces at the Bayside would delay the need to build parking structures on campus and, therefore, delay the need to raise parking fees. If the university is successful in purchasing the property, we will work with the City of Boston and Mayor Thomas M. Menino to compensate for the property?s removal from the city?s tax rolls.

I want to thank the entire campus community ? faculty, staff, and students ? for your assistance in making UMass Boston a wonderful place to be. And I look forward to your continued support in the coming year as we strive to make UMass Boston the student-centered urban public research university of the 21st century.

Happy holidays to you and yours.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

More, here at the Dorchester Reporter:

http://www.dotnews.com/2009/umass-boston-seeks-buy-bayside-expo

Didn't see that coming.

I wonder how Menino feels about the loss of more taxable land.

Hope this means the urban vision for the site stays, and it doesn't become an annex of UMass' disjointed office park-esque "campus".

I assume they will demolish rather than reuse the Bayside. What happens to the adjoining hotel?

I hope that in the medium term, those 1500 parking spaces are relocated into a new garage.

Ron, check out the Dorchester Reporter or Boston.com's Metro Desk. It says the hotel is owned separately and it, plus the Bayside office park, will remain standing.

I would absolutely kill for the commission of the master planning and architecture if I were an architect. That would be such an awesome project - virtually blank slate, campus design, the opportunity to totally redefine the university...I'm dreaming about it now.

And from the Globe . . .

UMass makes deal for Bayside
Plans to expand Boston campus; Expo center site faced foreclosure
By Milton J. Valencia and Casey Ross, Globe Staff | December 17, 2009

The University of Massachusetts Boston has reached an agreement to acquire the troubled Bayside Exposition Center at Columbia Point in what would mark a major expansion by the school into neighboring waterfront property in Dorchester.

The move also significantly alters plans for a prime 20-acre piece of land that had once been targeted for a $1 billion development, until the property faced foreclosure.

UMass, which said it has reached a preliminary agreement with the real estate company that owns the property, plans to immediately use the Bayside?s nearly 2,000 parking spaces as it constructs new facilities at its existing space along its Morrissey Boulevard campus. The 275,000-square-foot Bayside building will also be used for classrooms and offices during renovations of buildings.

Officials from the university would not disclose a price. A purchase and sale agreement has not been signed, but the final figure is expected to be near the $11 million the owner, LNR Massachusetts Partners, paid to buy the property in the spring after foreclosure. UMass said the acquisition of the property would be paid for with bond funding and would have little impact on student tuition rates.

The university said the acquisition of the Bayside property is crucial as it embarks on its biggest expansion project in 35 years with the construction of a new science complex, general academic building, and the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate.

But the acquisition also provides the university with a prime piece of real estate that it will look to develop once initial construction plans are complete.

UMass officials would not discuss any long-term plans for the property yesterday, saying any project will be coordinated in partnership with city and state officials and area residents.

?We know as a university that we will want to really engage the community, engage the neighborhoods, engage the city of Boston in coming up with a plan for the site that not only helps the university in achieving its mission but also supports the neighborhood, community residents and the City of Boston,?? said UMass spokesman DeWayne Lehman. ?We?re not going anywhere, and we need and want to be good neighbors.??

The Bayside property had been part of a larger, 27-acre plan for a community on Dorchester Bay with hundreds of residences, stores, and offices. That plan soured in the spring, however, when the developer, Corcoran Jennison Co., defaulted on a $22 million loan for the Bayside property.

LNR Massachusetts Partners, a division of LNR Property Corp., gained ownership of the property for $11 million in May at a foreclosure auction after Corcoran Jennison defaulted on its mortgage.

At the time, Corcoran officials said that the foreclosure was the result of a national credit crisis, and that it was interested in hearing LNR Massachusetts? plans for the property. Reached at his home last night, Gary Jennison, vice chairman of Corcoran Jennison, declined to comment.

Lehman said yesterday that the university had recently notified Corcoran officials, as well as city and state officials, of the intent to buy the property.

He said it was too early to say whether Corcoran?s plans would be incorporated in the university?s vision for the land. Other properties in the area include the Doubletree Club Hotel and the Harbor Point residential community.

UMass Chancellor J. Keith Motley said in a statement that, ?The Bayside property represents a truly unique opportunity for the University of Massachusetts Boston, the city of Boston, and our neighbors in Dorchester and in South Boston. We look forward to partnering with the city, state, and community to create a vision that furthers our educational mission, stimulates greater economic activity and opportunity, and enriches our neighborhood and region.??

Mayor Thomas M. Menino yesterday welcomed the acquisition.

?Higher education remains one of our strongest economic engines and we will continue to work closely with UMass as they develop their plans for the future,?? the mayor said in a statement. ?UMass has been a great partner in providing many services for our residents and we believe that those partnerships will only grow as we move forward.??

Dot Joyce, a spokeswoman for the mayor, would not say when the mayor had found out about the planned purchase, and would not comment on how UMass will compensate the city for removing a lucrative piece of property from city tax rolls.

In the past, the mayor has used his leverage over development plans by Boston?s universities to extract payments from them to compensate for the loss of property tax revenue. He launched a task force in 2008 to seek recommendations for eliminating inequities in the amount of money tax-exempt universities pay to the city.

In a statement, UMass said it will work with the city to compensate for the removal of the property from city tax rolls, and that the acquisition ?will bring stability in ownership of this large and important Columbia Point property since its foreclosure earlier this year.??

The immediate construction is part of UMass?s 10-year master plan that calls for the development of more than $500 million in new facilities and infrastructure.

But the acquisition of the prime Bayside property is bound to spark a new master plan for the school and the area.

Paul Nutting, an area resident and member of the Columbia Point Master Plan Task Force, a local civic group run under the Boston Redevelopment Authority, said yesterday that local officials and residents had been working on a plan that followed Jennison Corcoran?s design for a mixed-use development with stores and residences. That plan will have to change.

He said UMass?s announcement yesterday triggered new questions:

Will the university allow open access to the waterfront? And will it let a prime piece of property, removed from city tax rolls, sit as a parking lot?

?There?s good and bad to this, so we?ll see,?? Nutting said. ?This sort of changes the whole dynamic of things.??

Fairwell Columbia Point Master Plan . . . we hardly knew you . . .

Back