Dorchester Bay City (nee Bayside Expo Ctr.) | Columbia Point

Re: Bayside Expo Center Redevelopment

Did I read that correctly? Their going to use Bayside as class space while the current buildings are being renovated? Because they really need to renovate those buildings they are literally falling apart. They always had areas blocked off because of fear of collapse.

In the long term this is great for UMB, but getting Savin Hill idiots on board with campus housing is still going to be an issue.

The importance of our colleges to Boston development

The Bayside Exposition Center sort of lost its way over the past decade. The Hynes stole the best smaller exhibits while the Boston convention center took everything else. What was left was "bulk product" shows--cars, boats, and the like.

In most cities, this would lead to a whole flurry of plans paid for by the government, in other words us, characterized by Disney-like visions of what to do with 20 acres of land and property in an outlying area of the city. None of the plans would come to fruition, and the building would slowly decay. Case in point--the attempt by the city of Detroit to auction of the Pontiac Silverdome in Detroit. Nobody came to the auction.

In Boston, an opportunity like this leads to a natural expansion of our strengths. As public universities, colleges, and community colleges become more popular (in inverse proportion to the ridiculously overpriced cost of private education), institutions such as UMASS are able to comfortably plan for the future, make an acquisition, and expand the campus.

Harvard did the very same thing when it purchased the former Casey & Hayes moving company building right off the Mass Pike in Alston two years ago. BU is forever picking up buildings along the Commonwealth Avenue corridor. Northeastern has almost singlehandedly redeveloped the entire Ruggles Square area. Emerson College, in its brilliant creation of a new urban campus, purchased 5 separate Class C office buildings along Boylston and Tremont Street and converted them to administrative and classroom space. The most prolific purchaser of privately owned space has been Suffolk, most notably in its purchase of 73 Tremont Street, a 300,000 square foot office property that had lost its primary tenant, JP Morgan, and was 2/3 empty. It is now, of course, full.

What is the impact on the private commercial market when institutions carry out these expansion plans? Many of the properties purchased were available in the commercial market for lease. The Suffolk purchase is a prime example of a NET ABSORPTION of office space due to the expansion of an educational institution. The Casey & Hayes building measures over 400,000 square feet and was owned by Cabot, Cabot & Forbes. CC&F carried out a beautiful renovation (the property is the large, all glass sprawling building on the north side of the Mass Pike opposite the Allston Depot restaurant.) CC&F then alternately marketed as office space and/or lab space unsuccessfully for 3 years. Harvard's purchase reduced vacancy in the Allston Brighton market by 20% in one fell swoop.

While the Bayside purchase is not comparable in its impact on the private commercial real estate market, consider that the education "industry" accounts for over 7% of all leased space in the private market. And, over the past two years, education has increased its market share even as the schools have carried out major construction projects in the non-private market.

Again, the multidimensional character of the Boston economy provides a buffer to the private real estate market to a degree not found in any other major U.S. city.

Jim Adams
President
J. Adams Commercial Real Estate
You can find more at my blog "Boston by Square Foot" at the link below.

http://jadamscommercial.blogspot.com/2009/12/influence-of-educational-institutions.html

Bayside is huge, cavernous, and windowless -- I really wonder how you convert that into classrooms, even temporarily.

Re: The importance of our colleges to Boston development

I agree. I great way to redevelop an underdeveloped area. Hopefully they can put in some true dorms and create a real campus. I just NEU will continue to expand but it seems they've been landlocked by the nearby neighborhoods.

Re: The importance of our colleges to Boston development

I moved this into the other thread.

I totally agree, this is a great deal for the University and for the city (minus the tax loss).

Bayside is huge, cavernous, and windowless -- I really wonder how you convert that into classrooms, even temporarily.

Contrary to popular belief, windows are not required for classrooms. That's an amenity, not requirement. There's plenty of office systems (Steelcase comes to mind) that do fit-out rooms within larger space.

Classrooms do need to be acoustically separated from their neighbors, however. Does Bayside have pretty high ceilings?

I took a test in Bayside one time. And you dont need windows at all and they could probably install a drop ceiling pretty easily. I'm not a contractor but it seems like it'd be really cheap to convert that. I'm sure there's already power outlets everywhere and maybe IT linkups

Harry is just still steamed that charlesview passed. I suspect in a month or so that he will find some other aspect of Harvard to crusade against.

New 6 story residential building

Executives at Corcoran Jennison Companies are planning the construction of a six-story apartment building at the intersection of Mt. Vernon St. and Morrissey Boulevard. A nonprofit funded by developer is also in the conceptual stages of potentially remaking Mt. Vernon St. through the expansion of sidewalks and creation of space for bicycles.

The proposed new building, with 200 units and retail space on the ground floor, would effectively serve as an entryway into the Columbia Point peninsula, which is already home to the Harbor Point apartment community, UMass Boston, the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Boston College High School, among other institutions.

Rest of the article:
http://www.dotnews.com/2012/new-building-streetscape-eyed-mt-vernon-st

Expansion planned at DoubleTree Club by Hilton

Corcoran Jennison Co. plans to expand the 197-room DoubleTree Club by Hilton hotel in Dorchester's Columbia Point neighborhood.

The Boston developer has proposed a six-story, 71,000-square-foot addition that would include 86 new rooms, an expanded restaurant, kitchen and back-of-house space, function rooms and a ballroom, according to a letter of intent received by the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

The addition would take the place of a parking lot at on the northeast side of the Mount Vernon Street hotel, which is located next to the former 20-acre Bayside Exposition Center site that Corcoran Jennison lost to foreclosure in 2009 and is now owned by the University of Massachusetts-Boston.

http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2014/06/expansion_planned_at_doubletree_club_by_hilton

I have fond memories of MacWorld Boston at the Bayside. it was an awful building, but the vast array of mid-90's pre-web startups was a trip.

Edit: Statler, you can move this to the Soccer specific thread if you want.

Conversations between Umass Boston and the Kraft family are still ongoing to redevelop Bayside into a soccer stadium.

The Kraft family has been engaged in regular discussions with the city of Boston and UMass, which owns the Bayside site, but the sides do not appear close to an agreement. Any deal would be likely to involve the University of Massachusetts offering a long-term lease for the land, while the Krafts would pay for a $250 million stadium that seats 20,000 to 25,000 fans.

Chief among the concerns have been traffic and how to pay for infrastructure costs, such as fixing the notorious Kosciuszko Circle at the top of Morrissey Boulevard. One analysis, done for the 2024 Summer Games bid, estimated that replacing the state-owned rotary with an intersection and traffic light would cost $120 million, and if bypass roads are built, the tab climbs to as much as $220 million.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...ly-terrific/ulkhMPFpcwyNhQUJ8aowGM/story.html

Globe: UMass puts Bayside Expo Center site up for sale

UMass is putting the 20 acre Bayside Expo site on the market. They bought it for $18.7 million in 2010 and it's now expected to go for $200+ million. UMass claims it could support 2.5 million sf of development.

What's the FAA limit here!! BUILD TALL (just going with the prevalent archboston narrative).

Although I hope they can build something better then Harbor Point. Harbor Point just seems so suburban. Plus i'm not a big fan of gated communities, where was the CLF when that was built?

What's the FAA limit here!! BUILD TALL (just going with the prevalent archboston narrative).

Given how often I fly over this site on final approach, I'd guess not very high.

Given how often I fly over this site on final approach, I'd guess not very high.

fjG0ydx.jpg

Back