Dorchester Infill and Small Developments

Re: 93 South Dorchester

Pelhamhall, kind of tough to play the corruption card on this one. The city allowed the exact same kind of billboard at the new WGBH building in Brighton (a billboard that will presumably be more visible as it is cantilevered over the Pike). Are we to assume that the Mayor was skimming off the top at WGBH :)

Pelhamhall, kind of tough to play the corruption card on this one. The city allowed the exact same kind of billboard at the new WGBH building in Brighton (a billboard that will presumably be more visible as it is cantilevered over the Pike). Are we to assume that the Mayor was skimming off the top at WGBH :)

No the question is why a building surrounded by a residential area, is allowed to put up a giant TV screen like WGBH. Yet a new commercial building, surrounded by an ocean of asphalt and big box shopping, would be denied the same opportunity (not that I'm complaining about not having another fugly billboard).

It's just another example of how inconsistent this city's approval and zoning process is, based on who Hizzonah likes or dislikes.

It's just another example of how inconsistent this city's approval and zoning process is, based on who Hizzonah likes or dislikes.

It's like we live in some sort of democratic republic or something.

My neighborhood group got to "vote" on the South Bay billboard. The Union Las Vegas Television within an actual residential neighborhood... well... that was taken out of our hands. That wasn't for us to decide.

I don't recall the WGBH billboard ever planning gaudy political commercials? I thought the WGBH was just plain ole' art? Correct me if I'm wrong.

You all wonder how WGBH got the sign?

"To-o-o-night on Greater Boston, Mayor Thomas Menino on how he's a great mayor and how he's doing great things for the great city of Boston."

"I'm Emily Rooney ... Mr. Menino, besides the trash problem, how do you keep doing such great things for our great city?"

Sleepy's is going on the entire second floor of the new retail building at South Bay. It be a much a billboard for them as a retail location.

Another drive by on 93!
022-7.jpg
023-5.jpg
024-7.jpg

can we vote to ban certain architectural themes, for example:
1) no protruding chunks of concrete
2) no brown exterior unless its brick... especially if it follows a solid row of windows

No we cannot. There are architects who can do both of those beautifully. Boston does not need to stifle any more creativity and innovation than it already does.

That's really ugly but I like it. Looks like it was made of Legos. Also looks like a poor man's WGBH had a baby with poor woman's Macallen.

I don't know...the building's not finished yet and I'm intrigued...kinda like what I see in the pic, but will need to view it in person and on site.

It defies any aesthetic rationale while still looking like it made an effort. That's a great effect.

I'm glad it's not downtown, but as provocative eyecandy along 93... love it.

It defies any aesthetic rationale while still looking like it made an effort. That's a great effect.

I'm glad it's not downtown, but as provocative eyecandy along 93... love it.

you know i see what your saying. but that kind of thing has as much lasting value as having a gimicky band name that is funny the first time you hear it and less so everytime thereafter (get the simpsons reference). sooner or later people will stop thinking about this building in any meaningful way and just see this building as ugly.

I drive by this building every day and cannot believe how much of a turn for the worst it took when they started with this patchwork siding. I think it looks terrible and looks very cheap up close. The frame of the building gave me hope that this would look great when finished, now I think it is a lost cause.

The best worst part of this building is that the lighter vomit/diarrhea colored panels actually change color as you drive past them. When there is no light on these panels, they actually can look deep orange/brown. It's very interesting. The whole thing is one gigantic hulking mess, located literally feet away from a row of triple deckers. These are poor people living in the triple deckers. The powerful union can do what it wants. If this was a developer, there would be no hulking mess in these people's back yards... especially not one with a gigantic television that will display political commercials.

That being said... I like it. It's a nice conversation piece.

The powerful union can do what it wants. If this was a developer, there would be no hulking mess in these people's back yards...

Lesson: Time for a union takeover/occupation of the Seaport?

Hopefully this will get more people to use mass transit instead of driving their single-occupancy vehicles past this eyesore every day. Consider it punishment. :p

I've never been on 93 South of Boston but I imagine that the areas by the highway aren't places you'd except to see world-class buildings. Seems like a good place to try something funky like this.

It's more interesting that most buildings you'll see on a stretch of highway like this.

I just realized: it should have been 10 stories taller.

Back