Dorchester Infill and Small Developments

Re: 93 South Dorchester

Won't that be covered up when they build the new hotels?

Can we change this thread to Dorchester Development? or All things Dot?
248-3.jpg
267-2.jpg
268-1.jpg
270-1.jpg
281-1.jpg
280-1.jpg
278-1.jpg
279-1.jpg
277-1.jpg

Coming up! Is that the new Ashmont station? There was a blog about it for a long time then it stopped being updated so I lost track.

Thanks for changeing this! Yes thats Ashmont station, just a drive-by shot I'll get some better ones later or someone else can post!

The meetinghouse is under a slow repair job with the congregation raising funds for repair.

Looks like the rate of repair won't keep pace with the rate of ruin.

If the congregation's not full of right-wing ideologues, why don't they apply for a little-shovel read money?

Hard to find a project so shovel-ready.

Yeah, as in shove it in the hole and shovel the dirt on top of it! I wonder if hate groups are better property managers?

Its so dirty! I just want to go powerwash it myself. Don't know if it would do anything but hell!!!

Yeah, as in shove it in the hole and shovel the dirt on top of it! I wonder if hate groups are better property managers?
Many now-pristine historic monuments once looked like this. If everyone thought this way, we'd have no East Cambridge Courthouse, Faneuil Hall or Quincy Market --all somewhat contemporary with this building. Savannah and Charleston would be useful parking lots --like much of the Seaport.

But you were being ironic ... right, toby? ;)

Iam sating MOVE this one and ALL unloved Bildings to RfKGrunwald to fill NASTY NASTY empy spacers. SO. Bilding new old disturbingage Village. With the Gov's wife Shirley's HAUS. OR. Like the Srawbergy Banke in PortsMOUYh peeples city. And. PUT ON THE COSTUMES.

This church in Dorchester Center(Codman sq) is in rough shape also, if they were in any other nieghborhood they would be restored historic sites!
058-11.jpg
060-11.jpg

Another beauty. If Boston had more culture, they'd be used for performances. As churches, they're now obsolete.

Looks like the rate of repair won't keep pace with the rate of ruin.

If the congregation's not full of right-wing ideologues, why don't they apply for a little-shovel read money?

Hard to find a project so shovel-ready.

I'm the historian at First Parish in Dorchester and no, the congregation isn't full of right wing-ideologues. First Parish is a Unitarian-Universalist congregation, and was founded in March of 1630, making it the oldest congregation in Boston. We're in the process of a complete building assessment and restoration plans will be announced soon. The top two levels of the steeple which you see on the ground were removed to allow restoration of the lower stages of the tower.

The building you see is the sixth meetinghouse of the congregation, and was opened in 1897 after the fifth meetinghouse, which was built in 1816, burned. It was designed by Cabot, Everett, and Mead and is probably the finest late 19th century wood colonial revival church in the country. The interior is in much better preservation than the exterior and I would be happy to give a tour of the building to anyone interested.

In addition, the parish hall is used for a variety of community functions, as well as monthly classical music concerts. I would disagree with the assertion that churches such as these are obsolete. They're certainly expensive to maintain, but over the past eight years the congregation has been steadily growing and has increasingly offered the use of the church to the Dorchester community.

I'm the historian at First Parish in Dorchester and no, the congregation isn't full of right wing-ideologues.
Pleased to meet you, and sorry to have offended you. If I had known your church's denomination, I wouldn't have made that glib and thoughtless comment (but you do know what many churches are up to, don't you?).

The top two levels of the steeple which you see on the ground were removed to allow restoration of the lower stages of the tower.
A glib aesthetic judgment: don't put back the grounded portions of the tower; donate them to Boston for food stands on the Common. Your tower looks A-OK as a stump; makes it look older and Greek Revival. Asher Benjamin?

In addition, the parish hall is used for a variety of community functions, as well as monthly classical music concerts.
Link to Programs?

I would disagree with the assertion that churches such as these are obsolete.
You would, and I would; but for most of the world, neither of us determines what's obsolete and what's not. I design churches, and kennedy speaks for most churches when he says:

No stadium seating? No A/V system for the rock star preachers? No support for laser light shows?

For most Americans, Massachusetts might as well be on the Moon.

Good uses for old churches: libraries (although these seem to be going obsolete, too), theatres, arthouse cinemas (why has no one thought of this!?), government administration buildings, firehouses, museums, mosques.

Good uses for old churches: libraries (although these seem to be going obsolete, too), theatres, arthouse cinemas (why has no one thought of this!?), government administration buildings, firehouses, museums, mosques.

The pulpit at First Parish Dorchester came from Old West Church on Cambridge Street in Boston. The city gave it to First Parish in 1897 when Old West was converted to the West End branch library.

Joe Stalin and Sultan Mehmed II were way out in front of you, dude!

(p.s. Look up the history of the First Spiritualist Temple on Exeter St.)

Back