Dorchester Infill and Small Developments

Re: 93 South Dorchester

napoleon-dynamite-400a111306.jpg

It reminds me more of the Westin Times Square, just the colors. Based on pictures.

It's extremely ugly and I love it.

why do people keep saying "its so ugly, i like it"

am i the only one whos saying "its so ugly, i hate it"

Would you have rathered

strip_mall.jpg

Or

Strip%20Mall-Gilmer%20Rd.JPG

Or maybe even

BL010132.JPG

?

Its the worst kind of bad. It had all sorts of potential until the cladding went on. That 1-1/2" of poorly chosen materials (why is it not Wood if not Phenolic Panel with wood grain), and poorly scaled panel sizes (this would only look good at 178mph), and poor choice in color. (all the colors of wood rendered in metallic Kynar finish.

Label it Disappointing. I am sorry for the folks who have to see this twice a day.

cca

Luckily I only drive in one or two times a week. The rest I'm safe on the train. Ofcourse I don't find it as bad as half of you. I do always forget my camera is in my bag when I'm driving by, this and Sleepy's.

This project needs blindingly orange Venetian blinds.

why do people keep saying "its so ugly, i like it"

am i the only one whos saying "its so ugly, i hate it"

There is a difference between liking something because it is attractive and being able the see an ugly building for more than just what is socially acceptable. Boston City Hall is a perfect example; that is ugly and many people love it not because it is attractive but it has many more important qualities.

Basically, any building that I will say "ugly but I like it" about is a building that has the balls to try something no other build of a similar type would try. The pics Shepard posted are a perfect example, this building could have been any anonymous office building but instead it went for it and tried to be different. It's like a punk or a rock star; they might not be pretty but you didn't have the balls to try what they did.

I am sorry for the folks who have to see this twice a day.

I feel sorry for them for far more than passing this building.....

shouldn't we maybe wait until they, say, finish the exterior before making wild statements about the design?

Nah the misfits wanna have their time.....

Oh ya I like this. Its something to look at in an otherwise dreary area. I think I've been there a few times myself...

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

While driving, with a cell phone... it's an absolutely hideous monstrosity and I might even like it... it's just such a horror it's practically beautiful.

The images change from these two to a third with Menino's ugly mug.

That is pretty hideous but I still love it.

restoring the mural
338.jpg

Last edited:

Awesome, that mural is one of my first memories of Boston.

Back