Dorchester Infill and Small Developments

As the sprinkler system was functional, it was either activated at the time of the fire, or not. If it wasn't activated, wouldn't one of the first commands of the fire department be to pressurize the system? And how effective is a sprinkler system in a 1 foot high void space, assuming the space is filled with ductwork, insulation, etc?

It is beginning to feel like it is time for some code updates, particularly related to long blocks of 5 over 1 light wood framing over steel. Time for some hard fire stops at regular intervals?

We have a number of these buildings under construction or recently completed (One Greenway Phase 2; parts of the Ink Block just around me). Seems unless all the systems are working perfectly, they are going to be fire traps.

Oh man, I didn't realize this at first. This is a devastating loss for affordable housing!
The unit mix includes 51 Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) rental units, affordable up to 60% of the Area Median Income (AMI) and 32 for sale condominiums. Four of the condominiums meet the requirements of the City of Boston’s Inclusionary Development Policy (80-100% of AMI), 16 units are affordable to individuals making up to 110% of AMI (workforce units) and the balance are market rate.

http://www.trinityfinancial.com/portofolio/treadmark/

Since there were no lives lost I don't think it is too early to wonder if they can/will rebuild.

Car magnate Herb Chambers has sold the former WLVI-TV studio at 75 Morrissey Blvd., a key property that is immediately adjacent to the now-vacant Boston Globe campus. Chambers sold the parcel to POB CC 75 MORRISSEY LLC, a subsidiary of the Center Court, a New York-based firm that pulled out of an agreement to buy the Globe property earlier this year.

A June 27 filing with the Suffolk County Registry of Deeds shows that the company paid Chambers $14.5 million for the site, which Chambers purchased in 2011. Chambers initially planned to re-use the old television studio as a car dealership for pre-owned BMWs, a project that won approval from civic leaders and the Menino administration. But, Chambers never went forward with the proposal.

http://www.dotnews.com/2017/former-globe-bidder-buys-chambers-property-morrissey

Since there were no lives lost I don't think it is too early to wonder if they can/will rebuild.

I fully expect them to rebuild. Maybe tear down to the steel first floor and start over from there?

Nobody was injured or killed and insurance will cover the financial costs. I consider this a major, unfortunate setback rather than a true "loss".

I fully expect them to rebuild. Maybe tear down to the steel first floor and start over from there?

Nobody was injured or killed and insurance will cover the financial costs. I consider this a major, unfortunate setback rather than a true "loss".

I agree, but this is going to be costly for the insurers, so likely litigated to death to try to determine fault.

Long slow slog through the courts before the developer sees the monies to rebuild.

I agree, but this is going to be costly for the insurers, so likely litigated to death to try to determine fault.

Long slow slog through the courts before the developer sees the monies to rebuild.

The total cost of the project was $45 million [source], so the cost of the actual damage is likely much less (e.g., stuff like the foundation is probably fine to reuse, plus soft costs like permitting and approval are done). Even if the insurer has to pay our the whole $45 million, that doesn't seem like all that much money on the scale of a large insurance company.

My understanding of how this stuff works is that the insurance company pays out to the policy holder then goes after the parties it holds responsible after the fact. But I could be wrong...

The total cost of the project was $45 million [source], so the cost of the actual damage is likely much less (e.g., stuff like the foundation is probably fine to reuse, plus soft costs like permitting and approval are done). Even if the insurer has to pay our the whole $45 million, that doesn't seem like all that much money on the scale of a large insurance company.

My understanding of how this stuff works is that the insurance company pays out to the policy holder then goes after the parties it holds responsible after the fact. But I could be wrong...

Unless the policy holder is potentially implicated as responsible.

They said it was insured, and they will rebuild.

The contractors would also carry insurance. The question here is if a piece of equipment caught fire, was the equipment defective (manufacturer would be liable) or was the installation defective (contractor liability).

Suffolk was the general contractor for Mission Bay in San Francisco. The probable cause was welding or grinding, and a subcontractor failing to keep watch the requisite time after the work was finished. Mission Bay was demolished, rebuilt, and opened a year late.

https://youtu.be/mAHiqOR_Da4

https://youtu.be/ULEcelILTC8

https://youtu.be/7TFlyqn-vcE

Investigators say tonight they are still worried that the top floor might not hold. Fire is out, but structure is weakened & sagging.

It is beginning to feel like it is time for some code updates, particularly related to long blocks of 5 over 1 light wood framing over steel. Time for some hard fire stops at regular intervals?

We have a number of these buildings under construction or recently completed (One Greenway Phase 2; parts of the Ink Block just around me). Seems unless all the systems are working perfectly, they are going to be fire traps.

Makes sense to have firewalls to passively slow down or stop the spread of fire in a long building or connected buildings. Relying on working sprinkler systems appears inadequate.

Anyone know when the building code was updated to allow this type of construction without adequate firewalls? Seems like something relatively recent... like say the last 30 years.

Sad, though... a setback for the neighborhood. On the bright side, I believe there's at least one other large project here in the pipeline.

Port Norfolk’s Neponset Wharf project updated; traffic stirs talk

A new waterfront development featuring 150 condos, a small hotel, a restaurant, and marina uses proposed for Port Norfolk will see about 1,440 new vehicle trips per day pass through the site, according to project forms submitted to the Boston Planning and Development Agency (BPDA) on Friday.

South Boston-based City Point Capital plans to raze the MarineMax/Russo Marine site at 24 Ericsson St. and construct the condos, a 25-room hotel, a 4,000-square-foot restaurant, 185 parking spaces, and a boat storage facility that could handle about 75 vessels, the submission said.

The 7.6-acre site includes about 3.6 acres of developed land and 4 acres of watersheet. It hosts water-dependent uses, including a marina of some 75 slips and supporting buildings for marine services, retail, and storage, according to the project and environmental notification forms filed with the BPDA.

About two acres of landscaped outdoor space would be featured at the Shore Shack on the site, along with a dog park, tidal garden, game court, public fishing pier, Harborwalk, facilities for kayak launching and storage, and a marina support building with bait, tackle, ice, fuel, and other supplies.

The Neponset Wharf development “will provide over 50 percent of the site for public outdoor space, and significantly expand public accessibility to this unique waterfront property,” the filing reads.

A new pedestrian bridge across Pine Neck Creek to connect the project site and Tenean Beach is also being floated by the developers.

http://www.dotnews.com/2017/port-norfolk-s-neponset-wharf-project-updated-traffic-stirs-talk

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-05%20at%202.13.29%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-05%20at%202.16.23%20PM.png

070317neponset001.jpg

070317neponset002.jpg

Build that before anyone can object!

cca

Given that there really is only one road in and out I'd say this is one place where traffic concerns are warranted.

This project looks great, but traffic in Neponset Circle is a disaster at most times of the day.

Back