Dorm Tower @ Berklee College of Music | 168 Mass Ave | Back Bay

13752275964_9171648b2e_b.jpg

13751918503_af2450be96_b.jpg

Campbell was rather complimentary about this building. I was surprised that up close the sheathing feels, look, and sounds like plastic. Good imitation of concrete from a distance...

I wholeheartedly agree with everything he said. I continue to absolutely love this building. The "aquarium" metaphor is spot on. When the renders first came out showing the undulating glass wall, I was instantly excited at the life and vitality that would theoretically be occurring behind it, on display for all to see. The wall and Caf behind it is a performance and stage in itself for all in Boston to see while walking by.

I found myself there on Saturday while the sun was out and everything around and inside the building was so animated and alive. The sun was reflecting off the glass. At night the building glows at the street level. This project really is a breath of fresh air for the area.

I still don't like the tower part, but I agree the base is a great addition to the area. However...

Rawn says that the key to the Caf was to design it as an auditorium that can also be a cafeteria, not as a cafeteria that can double as a not-very-good auditorium.

Lies. How many venues put undulating glass walls behind the performers? None, because the acoustic properties of glass suck. But I am glad it's getting used--it would've been a shame if that stage went untouched.

One with the good camera:

14462632557_7c5764c1a6_b.jpg

And a couple with the phone:

14646810331_76366c1596_b.jpg

14463384620_dce181b22a_b.jpg

Doesn't do much for the skyline but what kid wouldn't want to live here. Great street level apartment generally any development in the Back Bay I'm happy with need some movement!

Anyway, my father works for a large glazing subcontractor (projects include 45 Stuart St, Avalon Exeter, 75 Ames St), and he and a coworker happened to walk by this building a few weeks ago. They said the installation of the glass work is some of the worst they've seen. I'm surprised I didn't notice it at first, but it's definitely apparent at ground level when you take a closer look. I know there were issues with the glazing during the course of this project, but it strikes me that the entire building is rather poorly detailed in a general sense and appears somewhat shoddily constructed, regardless of material qualities. There is just something rather awkward about the way the glazed corner and the corrugated cladding meet and interact. To me the wins are the giant open atrium and the series of seating elements along the edge under the awning. Any idea what might go into the retail space and when?

It's really bothering me that they haven't been able to get the contractor to restripe the bike lane through this section. They shifted it for construction, but never put it back!

Restaurant could come to Berklee College of Music building

A restaurant could open soon at Berklee College of Music's 160 Massachusetts Avenue building, which opened earlier this year. T.C.'s Lounge goes before the Boston Licensing Board for hearing on its petition to transfer ownership of the now-closed bar's alcohol license across Massachusetts Avenue to an entity called Back Bay Beats, LLC which intends to open a restaurant, possibly with live music, in the 4,200 square feet space on the building's ground floor. A Boston Redevelopment Authority article in February previewed the possible plans for the space.

In addition a 4,200 square foot ground floor space is available for a restaurant tenant. The restaurant will offer a new dining option for those attending concerts at the nearby Boston Symphony Orchestra, and other area arts and theater venues.

http://www.bostonhospitalityindustry.com/2014/09/restaurant-could-come-to-berklee.html

Back