Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

I've been working in 101 Arch St. for the past three years and have experienced DTC at all times and in all seasons. This statement is just colossally ignorant and misinformed. When was the last time you actually read about a violent crime in DTC? Oh yeah, that's right, there hasn't been any for years, because it's a ridiculously safe neighborhood.

Sure, there's plenty of tough/rough-looking folks wandered around certain sections. Funny, though, how all the developers pouring millions of dollars into the area with all these new projects didn't get that memo about "violence levels meandering back to the bad old days," huh?

I completely agree. I have worked a block from Downtown Crossing for 11 years and lived in the neighborhood from 1998-2002. Since 1998, I can recall one or two shootings and 2 or 3 stabbings in Downtown Crossing. None of the crime being random acts of violence. I have never ever had an issue walking through downtown crossing. I'd love someone to link an article discussing any random, violent crime in downtown crossing. It's really a very safe area despite the inevitable loitering of youths.

Monday. Other ones I could find just on UHub happened in August, March, and January. Ridiculously safe is perhaps not the best choice of words.

None of these were random, correct? None of them were a resident or tourist walking through downtown crossing only to get shot. Thugs will fight thugs no matter what part of the city. That is not the same as people minding their own business getting attacked.

Just like the poor soul that got shot in the back outside of the night-club near FELT last year.

You talking about the solider who just came back from overseas? If so, he was not shot in downtown crossing. It was the theater district by the old Radisson Hotel (now Hotel Revere) parking garage.

That is not a list of crime in Downtown Crossing. Unless Downtown Crossing has expanded to include the waterfront and Atlantic Avenue. I feel really sorry for you if you are genuinely scared to walk through downtown crossing. I am still waiting for a link to the story where the tourist/resident/worker was minding his own business in Downtown Crossing only to get shot, stabbed or attacked for no reason whatsoever other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Incidents of that nature happen just as frequently if not more in the Back Bay.

I've worked/played in DTX now for the past 12 years, all hours of the day and night. Nobody has yet to say 'boo' to me. And I'm a very unintimidating 30-something white dude. If you use 1 ounce of common sense, you'll have no problems.

Side note...I find it interesting the same people complaining about the Seaport's lack of urbanism, and calling it a 'suburban office park' are the ones complaining about the alleged crime in DTX. Where's the middle ground?

I think the point is if you put a KINGs Bowling alley & Pool joint in the middle of Downtown district......Trouble will happen over-time. Because it will bring a young late night rowdy crowd looking to drink & have fun in an area for centralized location that becomes a hang-out for some young locals.

There was trouble on Lansdown in its hayday before the entire area went corporate America around Fenway Park.

I personally could careless what they put in DTX anymore. Kings would be fun for a while but then it would be watered-down with headaches.

I think the point is if you put a KINGs Bowling alley & Pool joint in the middle of Downtown district......Trouble will happen over-time. Because it will bring a young late night rowdy crowd looking to drink & have fun in an area for centralized location that becomes a hang-out for some young locals.

Isn't that the point of a freaking city, let alone America's College Town?!

Downtown is probably the best centralized transit location spot in the city. Every transit line runs into this centralized area. Downtown's past identity was known for its Garment district. Is a KINGS bowling alley a good idea for a spot that every walk of life can actually get to? I don't have that answer. But one thing I will say. Boston is no longer the Blue collared hard-working tough individual city it was know for. An underdog against NYC (Larry Bird and Bobby Orr days) It has become a college cosmopolitan yuppie city. That is the reality. Kings Bowling alley might bring intimidation when the inner-city kids start to hang-out in an area where all these college cosmopolitan yuppies live & hang-out. This will probably make the politicans very skepitcal to put something in a area where their business associates have a lot of money invested in.

So in my opinion they probably want DTX district vibrant in the day-time and a more upscale enviroment at night, restaurants, bars, jazzclub,.

So wait... a Kings would be bad in Downtown Crossing, despite the fact that it's exactly the same place as Lucky Strikes on Lansdown, which is an area you claim has been sanitized?

The theatre district has late night clubs for young people. How's that working out? The fact that someone isn't stabbed or shot there every week is more the luck of the draw than anything else.

Please note - Boston is tiny. All of downtown Boston could just about fit inside Central Park. That means that wherever you are, you're on top of something else. There's no industrial district to open clubs in like many other cities - nowhere you can go to get away from NIMBY neighbors. So Boston will never have a good nightlife - not like it once had.

The theatre district has late night clubs for young people. How's that working out? The fact that someone isn't stabbed or shot there every week is more the luck of the draw than anything else.

It's actually not. You said it yourself. There are nightclubs there and random crime isn't rampantly happening! This is the exact same kind of denial that fueled the republican party in this past election -- the taking of facts and statistics and saying that they are simply an anomaly and that my completely biased opinions of yore must be right. The past is not the present.

The Combat Zone no longer exists. It's done and over with. People need to get the heck over it. Yes, it was brutal in the 1980s with rampant extremely violent random crime, but that is no longer the case. DTX has everything going for it (bursting with housing, surrounded by college students, the busiest transit hub in the entire city, etc) to be a ridiculously awesome shopping and entertainment district.

DTX has everything going for it (bursting with housing, surrounded by college students, the busiest transit hub in the entire city, etc) to be a ridiculously awesome shopping and entertainment district.

What Downtown are you talking about. Everytime I'm down on Summer Street late night.
I see homeless people shacking up against the retail stores. Junkies making drug deals down the side streets of Downtown. Downtown Boston is a fucking disgrace. It should be everything you said in that paragraph but since the entire FILENES cluster-fuck. DTX is a little scary late night scene that looks like a crime could happen any second in the area.

It might not be that dangerous but it can be scary scene late at night.

What Downtown are you talking about. Everytime I'm down on Summer Street late night.
I see homeless people shacking up against the retail stores. Junkies making drug deals down the side streets of Downtown. Downtown Boston is a fucking disgrace. It should be everything you said in that paragraph but since the entire FILENES cluster-fuck. DTX is a little scary late night scene that looks like a crime could happen any second in the area.

It might not be that dangerous but it can be scary scene late at night.

You know what, I can walk by Tedeschi's on Boylston Street across from the Lenox Hotel and see the same thing.

A bowling alley would bring lots of people onto the streets and make the neighborhood LESS scary. Unlike a theatre, it would be open every day and people would be coming and going continually, rather than at fixed showtimes.

When I said "ridiculously safe," as others alluded to after me, what I really should have said was, "DTC is ridiculously safe, especially given that BPD's monthly crime statistics completely discredit the area's reputation for being dangerous."

I'm sure if anyone did just a cursory review of BPD's monthly crime summaries, they would find that the only crime that DTC is above-average for would be petty theft--exactly as you would expect for a retail district with a huge volume of pedestrians.

Downtown Boston is a fucking disgrace.

Compared to what? Rant and rave all you want, but just because you say something doesn't make it true. Uncorroborated bluster like this should be kept quarantined on the Herald's message boards.

A bowling alley would bring lots of people onto the streets and make the neighborhood LESS scary. Unlike a theatre, it would be open every day and people would be coming and going continually, rather than at fixed showtimes.

Wait. Did you say something would be better than a theatre?

Oh shit. Ron's account has been hacked.

Back