59 Temple Place
Wednesday, November 7th
6:00-7:30 PM
Hyatt Regency Boston, One Avenue de
Lafayette, Boston, MA 02111
Project Proponent: Walton Oxford Temple Owner, LLC
Project Description: The Proponent proposes the development of the
site at 59-63 Temple Place and 501-507 Washington Street (the
Project) located in the Downtown Crossing neighborhood of Boston.
The Project will consist of the rehabilitation of two buildings and the
change of uses from office and retail to a boutique hotel with ground
floor retail and restaurant space along both Washington Street and
Temple Place.
CLOSE OF COMMENT PERIOD: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 19, 2012
mail : LAUREN WILLIAMS
BOSTON REDEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
ONE CITY HALL SQUARE, 9TH FLOOR
BOSTON, MA 02201
fax: 617-742-7783

https://mail-attachment.googleuserc...351639430099&sads=dFStCe8yLblRSl9LZaxoD4N-4Jg

The rest of this article is behind the Globe pay wall.

Downtown Crossing to get another building makeover

The owner of Lafayette Corporate Center, one of the largest commercial buildings on Washington Street, is seeking to refresh the complex with new and larger retail stores, a redesigned lobby, and restaurants to serve a growing residential population in the district. Executives with The Abbey Group said the changes will attract new tenants to replace State Street Corp., which is moving to the Seaport in 2014, and help reposition the 610,000-square-foot property to take advantage of the downtown’s blossoming revitalization.

LOL AGAIN! Poor Lafayette Place. No matter what you do to it, it will never be nice.

Interesting mention of large-footprint retailers looking at the building. No names.

Given its short height, I wonder if they'd ever consider adding to the height of the building...

LOL AGAIN! Poor Lafayette Place. No matter what you do to it, it will never be nice.

How about the first full size downtown Nordstrom location? Or what about something like a Dave & Busters or even a Kings bowling/entertainment venue?

How about the first full size downtown Nordstrom location? Or what about something like a Dave & Busters or even a Kings bowling/entertainment venue?

I think you know about how I feel about all of them, especially the first. ;-)

A Kings bowling/entertainment type venue would work well until someone got shot or stabbed. Between the street thug school kids during the day and drunk thug steak-heads at night the downtown entertainment scene is meandering back to the violence levels of the bad old days.

A Kings bowling/entertainment type venue would work well until someone got shot or stabbed. Between the street thug school kids during the day and drunk thug steak-heads at night the downtown entertainment scene is meandering back to the violence levels of the bad old days.

I've been working in 101 Arch St. for the past three years and have experienced DTC at all times and in all seasons. This statement is just colossally ignorant and misinformed. When was the last time you actually read about a violent crime in DTC? Oh yeah, that's right, there hasn't been any for years, because it's a ridiculously safe neighborhood.

Sure, there's plenty of tough/rough-looking folks wandered around certain sections. Funny, though, how all the developers pouring millions of dollars into the area with all these new projects didn't get that memo about "violence levels meandering back to the bad old days," huh?

^^ Yes, there will be violent crimes from time to time, but I think the point DBM was alluding to is that on a per capita scale, there are far less violent crimes in downtown than in several other neighborhoods of Boston. For example, Northeastern's newspaper "The Huntington News" has a popular section every week--the Northeastern Crime Log--that easily documents a range of petty to violent crimes that happen near the school every week.

If a search on UHub only leaves you with 4 incidents in the last year for a place that has 150,000 people working in a square-mile area, then I'd say DBM's point about safety is accurate.

I agree, much safer than Roxbury. I just don't think perception is entirely divorced from reality in this area, and I think that the developers working up and down Washington right now have to be hoping that their projects continue to drive the neighborhood into a still safer direction. I also didn't include a link to the man beaten to death after the downtown bars let out earlier this fall. The safety level at 2 AM in particular is absolutely a valid concern, to Lurker's original point.

Oh, is time for this discussion again? How time flies.

Last edited:
I blame the Opera House. Ever since it reopened, the ballet crowd has terrorized DTX non-stop.

I've been working in 101 Arch St. for the past three years and have experienced DTC at all times and in all seasons. This statement is just colossally ignorant and misinformed. When was the last time you actually read about a violent crime in DTC? Oh yeah, that's right, there hasn't been any for years, because it's a ridiculously safe neighborhood.

Just like the poor soul that got shot in the back outside of the night-club near FELT last year.

Back