Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

I'd vote Curley's over Stoddards, but put both in my top 10 new additions of the last 5 or so years. Incredibly solid bars.

Awesome beer list Tmac. You won't be disappointed.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm dying for some good, reasonably priced beer. If I want to buy a microbrew here, I usually pay the equivalent of $10 USD for a single bottle of IPA...however this can get as high as $20 (or even $100 if I wanted to get a bottle of a good Brew Dog)...and I'm talking about in a store, not a bar.

I fully plan on bringing back a suitcase filled with good beer haha.

Washington St needs more restaurants. I mean like lining each side of the street. Screw more "retail" or big box shopping, they need to turn it into a restaurant row.

+1 It would be nice if they did there what NYC did on Stone Street in FiDi.

Non-summer months:
images

Summer / warm weather months - how DTX should be after work:
oyster-festival-nyc-stone-street.bmp

They do have Thursday concerts/beer garden in DTX on Summer St in the summertime. From what I've seen they are pretty well attended.

What currently occupies the old entrance for the Orpheum? Another lit marquee along Washington Street would be great. Especially for a venue that people frequent; as great as the Paramount looks, its programming is less than mainstream. And the Modern is little more than a cock tease.

Speaking of theaters, the two picture's I've been able to find of the old RKO theater show it pretty intact, minus the concrete sealing off the mezzanine from the orchestra.
181122_414789951895668_52830128_n.jpg

529646_414789981895665_1877673448_n.jpg

In fact I can barely find any information on the RKO on the internet. Which seems odd considering it's still buried in there. Seems like an urban explorers wet dream, unless its sealed off really well.

^ found it, doesn't show shit about the theater. My google-foo isn't that bad...

Old Washington St. entrance to the Orpheum was until recently Aldo Shoes. I'm not sure what has replaced it -- possibly another shoe store?

No problem. The main thing when searching is that most of the hits are either the RKO that is now the Opera House, or one of the other RKO theaters in NY. That random video and those two pics are all I could find. Even wikipedia only has a one paragraph blurb about it.

Depressing... I'm guessing restoration would be so monumentally expensive it's not worth it or the Orange Line runs too close that vibrations and sound would make it unfeasible.

600 wash is such an intriguing redevelopment case right now, with millennium place finishing now on its Hayward place face. Its Essex st face is still totally untenanted. Ditto Washington st face more or less. But the location is so so prime.

Does the MBTA own the building? If so, I suspect they're to incompetent to do anything with it.

Back