Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

Hey sorry to change the topic a bit, but has anyone run into this lately? Yesterday, I was on my bike on Temple St waiting for the light to change at Tremont St, and a little punk a** teenager standing on the corner asked me if I had a phone so he could "call his mom". I told him no, and his response was that I'm a "little bitch" and that he "oughta up me". I shrugged my shoulders and went on my way. He walked away with his friends laughing.

Faneuil Hall Marketplace and Marketplace Center are TERRIBLE malls from a store standpoint. The only good stores are AE, ANF, Loft, Ann taylor, Urban, and Victoria's Secret.

Also Newbury Comics.

I'm certainly not in favor of DTX becoming the Boston version of Times Square, but the one concept I think would be interesting to see replicated, is to have one of the local network affiliates (or NECN since they broadcast all day) open up a street level glass-fronted studio somewhere near the Summer St/Winter St/Washington intersection similar to what ABC does in Times Square. Not only would it be an interesting tourist curiosity, it would be a continual subconscious reminder to all viewers that DTX actual has stuff going on all day (and hopefully in the evenings soon).

If it were to grab a prominent spot (like the corner of the old Filene's building), it would instantly raise the lease value of those storefronts in the background (free advertising), and maybe the Corner Mall and that accessories shop would get replaced with something better.

(Fox 25 has that one weird spot across from the State House on the corner of Park/Beacon, but it doesn't engage with the street level at all.)

It's not say there would be better ideas for a prominent spot like that, but I think it would be interesting.

Hey sorry to change the topic a bit, but has anyone run into this lately? Yesterday, I was on my bike on Temple St waiting for the light to change at Tremont St, and a little punk a** teenager standing on the corner asked me if I had a phone so he could "call his mom". I told him no, and his response was that I'm a "little bitch" and that he "oughta up me". I shrugged my shoulders and went on my way. He walked away with his friends laughing.

Ugh, there's nothing I hate more than a little coward who becomes Mr. Tough Guy when all his friends are around.

Something like that happened to me at a bar near the Alley on Boylston St. shortly before I left for Brasil. Some dude tried to cut in between me and my girl and start dancing with her so I was like "chill man, this is my girlfriend". He walked away without saying anything but then when we were leaving, him and 5 of his friends came up to me outside and started talking shit to me. It's frustrating as hell.

"At least I'm not insecure enough to pretend that I'm a tough guy."

I came up with a good one too: "Sure give me your mom's number so I can call her and tell her what a standup job she's done as a parent"

I'm certainly not in favor of DTX becoming the Boston version of Times Square, but the one concept I think would be interesting to see replicated, is to have one of the local network affiliates (or NECN since they broadcast all day) open up a street level glass-fronted studio somewhere near the Summer St/Winter St/Washington intersection similar to what ABC does in Times Square. Not only would it be an interesting tourist curiosity, it would be a continual subconscious reminder to all viewers that DTX actual has stuff going on all day (and hopefully in the evenings soon).

If it were to grab a prominent spot (like the corner of the old Filene's building), it would instantly raise the lease value of those storefronts in the background (free advertising), and maybe the Corner Mall and that accessories shop would get replaced with something better.

(Fox 25 has that one weird spot across from the State House on the corner of Park/Beacon, but it doesn't engage with the street level at all.)

It's not say there would be better ideas for a prominent spot like that, but I think it would be interesting.

This is an interesting thought. The Fox 25 spot always pisses me off because it reminds me what was once there (the very unique, for the area, Curious Liquids Cafe).

It was a great little coffee/soda shop well into the mid to late 1990s, Curious Liquids Cafe. The TV studio though is a terrible waste of a good commercial space. It would be better suited for a restaurant or something.

How much does Fox actually do in that studio? Their main facility is in Dedham right?

It was a great little coffee/soda shop well into the mid to late 1990s, Curious Liquids Cafe. The TV studio though is a terrible waste of a good commercial space. It would be better suited for a restaurant or something.

It was a very cool place as I recall. It was still there in 1999, btw, and left in the next few years after that.

How much does Fox actually do in that studio? Their main facility is in Dedham right?

I'm pretty sure they use it for at least one segment every morning and every night. Not positive, but I know it's frequent.

That tiny space is basically so they can claim they're "right in Boston" or "right next to the State House action" or something like that, I've always thought.

The financial district and DTX skyline are slowly starting to come together! Check out the density around the millennium towers! Sorry for the poor photo, UMASS's windows in the library are really dirty.

20130515093626.jpg

You just have to put the image link between the IMG tags. No HTML.

Looks like the space between Tello's and Kenmore Army Navy on Washington St. is being gutted. Anyone know what's going in there?

Back