Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

Gvt ctr refers to city hall plaza, the jfk building, and the garage and that's it. It's not a neighborhood. It borders dtx across state st, beacon hill across Cambridge st, west end after the hulking garage, and haymarket/fanuiel, which aren't really neighborhoods either although I'm sure there's some who would lump those in with being part of the north end...

Surely the State Services Center would be included, no? I would probably include the courthouses as well.

Wikipedia agrees.

Interestingly, Wiki actually lists OBP as FiDi, not DTX or GC. You guys are looking at it from a hard geographic perspective in terms of street boundaries, but as someone who works in the heart of DTX, OBP does not "feel" like DTX. It feels more like a part of the GC area, at least to me. I can kind of see the FiDi argument too.

I guess this also leads to what are the boundaries, physical and mental, between DTX and FiDi?

Last edited:
I was thinking at the Eataly in the Pru food court made me wonder about the Corner Mall. It's pretty dated but also still very busy. I think it could use a major rehab but I'm not sure how much it should change in terms of function.

Completely agree...its actually gross.

How would you go about getting natural light in there?

If anything anywhere close to Washington Street between State and Chinatown, Winter Street, and Summer Street to South Station wants to call itself DTX, I'm not gonna fight them on it.

At any rate ... if this were an apartment listing, dollars to donuts some optimistic broker would be calling it 'Beacon Hill' ... so it could be worse ;)

Is it just me, or are the two big renovations going on in DTX taking forever? Godfrey and its friend across the street are taking an eternity to open up. But these++Millennium Tower+a couple more empty storefronts getting new tenants will make a big difference. Canvas, Bromfield, and that Theater District tower will add too, if they can get up and running.

Out with the old, in with the new:
19770626120_3473f8b2ab_b.jpg

Stuff is hard to do. Doing a good job still takes time. It will happen.

cca

Is it just me, or are the two big renovations going on in DTX taking forever? Godfrey and its friend across the street are taking an eternity to open up.

Yes, Godfrey is taking awhile--it's a gut renovation of a century-plus building. Can you even begin to imagine the nasty surprises they encountered that set it back greatly? I'm sure there was asbestos and all sorts of other awfulness lurking in there. But there's still 100s of construction workers at the site; I trip over them every morning when they take their 9 a.m. break. It's fine, I'm sure.

But there is no "friend across the street" under development. That's simply a very long-term vacancy, maybe as long as Barnes & Nobles. Latitude 360 bowling alley/restaurant/lounge was going to go in there but they got crucified by the downtown residents and hit a bunch of bad press and so they scuttled it.

That building picked up Carbonite and Partners as 250,000 SF tenants, so, no economic pressure there to fill the peripheral street-facing vacancy, even though it creates that dead space...

I was walking through DTX today and was imagining that some lucky soul might be able to some day build a buddy for Millennium Tower on the Liberty Travel site-- after all, it is a two-story structure sitting awkwardly in the middle of a row of buildings that are mostly between 6 and 12 stories tall. And MT could use another tower to chat with about the weather and such. Lo and behold, it turns out that the property was sold not so long ago, around the same time as the Felt club. It'll probably be a few more sales down the road before this gets redeveloped, but, in the meantime, at least the property isn't static.

I was walking through DTX today and was imagining that some lucky soul might be able to some day build a buddy for Millennium Tower on the Liberty Travel site-- after all, it is a two-story structure sitting awkwardly in the middle of a row of buildings that are mostly between 6 and 12 stories tall. And MT could use another tower to chat with about the weather and such. Lo and behold, it turns out that the property was sold not so long ago, around the same time as the Felt club. It'll probably be a few more sales down the road before this gets redeveloped, but, in the meantime, at least the property isn't static.

They JUST rebuilt that Liberty Travel likely to the tune of a million dollars or more. I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon.

They JUST rebuilt that Liberty Travel likely to the tune of a million dollars or more. I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon.

They did indeed, and all the while I was thinking "WTF?" Talk about a missed opportunity. And for a travel agency?

I claim no magic ball and am making no predictions here. But if I were to make a list of "properties in DTX that will see the shortest turnaround between a major rebuild and its subsequent tear-down and RE-rebuild to something bigger", this site would be at the top of the list.

I'd need a better name for the list. Maybe call it the WTF list. Could that be a thread idea?

Residents in 453 Washington whose windows look down on the roof of Liberty Travel would be surprised to see it developed into a high rise. We haven't sold

^The restoration of the Godfrey facades is coming along beautifully. They are already stunning now, and will be fantastic when complete. I'd recommend taking a look in person the next time you're in the area.

Last edited:

Back