Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

They are accepting reservations late November. I don't think the restaurant/coffee shop will open right away.

Some Godfrey updates:

http://buildingthegodfreyhotel.com/2015/11/03/two-hard-hat-tours/

(Note: nobody in these photos are wearing hard hats, lol)

Also, they've preserved the elevator lobby:

https://twitter.com/BostonTweet/status/661667809198391297

CS63W1HU8AAAKHU.jpg:large

I couldn't believe the change DTX has undergone in the last few years when I saw it Saturday. The way the city has everything lit up really helps open the area. It was swarming with people out post Christmas. Sure many of the stores are basic bitch mall slop but that is going to change quickly as more and more people move in there. The change is so apparent even from a few years ago. Really awesome.

Speaking to Van's observation of the transformation of DTX, I've been wondering when the Pi Alley garage might be replaced. The footprint is about the same size as One Boston Place, so something tall and mixed-use might fit. Though the Devonshire is across the street, there is an eastern view corridor down Water Street. To the west is a killer view of the State House. In some respects, this is a better spot than One Bromfield.

^ I've wondered the same thing but I like the street level on this garage: its all small food shops that line the street and there's never empty storefronts.

The Godfrey's construction barriers are all down and there's just paper in the windows.... looks like it's all but done and it looks great with the accent lighting at night!

^ I've wondered the same thing but I like the street level on this garage: its all small food shops that line the street and there's never empty storefronts.

Qdoba has been vacant for months now (maybe over a year) and the frozen yogurt place in the building next door has been empty for a few months now.

Not too crazy about the snaggletoothed restoration of the Godfrey's formerly beautiful ornamentation...

The way the city has everything lit up really helps open the area.

I'm sure the City lights the trees on the Common, being public property. I highly doubt they light anything else.

All those photos showed light displays on the walls of privately owned buildings, so I suspect that's the work of the property owners themselves.

If it was the City, you'd know about--there'd be some loudspeaker blasting out at intervals, "Hi, I'm Mayor Marty Walsh...." as you have with that light display at the BPL Copley, which I very much like for its whimsicality.

Speaking to Van's observation of the transformation of DTX, I've been wondering when the Pi Alley garage might be replaced. The footprint is about the same size as One Boston Place, so something tall and mixed-use might fit. Though the Devonshire is across the street, there is an eastern view corridor down Water Street. To the west is a killer view of the State House. In some respects, this is a better spot than One Bromfield.

You're kidding, right?

Let's review:

1.) Big Dig environmental law put a permanent freeze on any new parking spots in downtown not embedded in office tower/condo tower development. So no new parking has been developed in downtown for decades that isn't immediately absorbed by the building's own internal demand.

2.) Five-year economic expansion swelling downtown's office worker population by the tens of thousands.

3.) Closure of Winthrop Sq Garage eliminated hundreds of spaces from aggregate supply.

These are the salad days for downtown parking garage operators. They'd be insane to contemplate doing anything to that garage for a long, long time, until something dramatic happens to transform the market and/or regulatory regime.

I'm sure the City lights the trees on the Common, being public property. I highly doubt they light anything else.

All those photos showed light displays on the walls of privately owned buildings, so I suspect that's the work of the property owners themselves.

If it was the City, you'd know about--there'd be some loudspeaker blasting out at intervals, "Hi, I'm Mayor Marty Walsh...." as you have with that light display at the BPL Copley, which I very much like for its whimsicality.

I believe the Downtown Business Improvement District is responsible for the lighting. Paid for by the local businesses and property owners.

These are the salad days for downtown parking garage operators. They'd be insane to contemplate doing anything to that garage for a long, long time, until something dramatic happens to transform the market and/or regulatory regime.

See Don Chiofaro threads.

The Eddie Bauer outlet in the Lafayette City Center (nee Corporate Center) will be closing in 4 weeks. This might be good news that the entertainment place might be getting ready to build.

https://twitter.com/EricaMattison/status/681925631639195650

What entertainment place?

Honestly, this one makes me sad but comes as no shock. I don't think the store did very well. It's right next to the center of DTX but somehow feels disconnected. I was there on December 23rd at 5:30 and there were maybe 3 other shoppers in the store and 1 register open. That's one of the busiest shopping days of the year and the store was a ghost town. I feel like this is one that's been coming for a while and may be unrelated to any new project.

What entertainment place?

Honestly, this one makes me sad but comes as no shock. I don't think the store did very well. It's right next to the center of DTX but somehow feels disconnected. I was there on December 23rd at 5:30 and there were maybe 3 other shoppers in the store and 1 register open. That's one of the busiest shopping days of the year and the store was a ghost town. I feel like this is one that's been coming for a while and may be unrelated to any new project.
Yeah, it's chronically dead.

The main corner of the Lafayette City Center on Washington is supposed to be a like a nightclub restaurant thing with games, iirc.

Last edited:
The main corner of the Lafayette City Center on Washington is supposed to be a like a nightclub restaurant thing with games, iirc.

I was recently in this place in Chicago (http://www.ftwchicago.com/) and thought how nice it would be if they had something similar in Boston. They had over 30 beers on tap, decent food and some pretty high end games to go along with many classic arcade games. Near every game there was a small table or shelf to store your drink while you play. Plenty of waitresses roamed the room to make sure no one was without a drink. I believe it was 21+ after a certain time of day. This was definitely more large bar than nightclub which is far preferable to me.

Back