Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

I think the point is that we want lots of even smaller places, not another auditorium-sized "venue".

Too bad they globbered a bunch of little place to put in the HOB. Does Wally's still have students playing during the day? They used to.

How can the public take advantage of that? By injecting it into everyday lives.

Up the amount of permits given out to musician buskers, especially in subway stations.

I'd posit that the reason jazz has become such an 'elitist art' is precisely because it's institutionalized.

Yes, by today's standards jazz being so institutonalized is a turn-off to many, but it was only after jazz was overshadowed by rock and roll (which you could argue dumbed down the average listener's ear) that it became something to be studied.

I don't take the subway much, but how come the only time I see a busker is at Park Street? Is it only profitable (relatively speaking) to do that at the busiest stops in the system? Why on earth aren't there Berklee, BoCo or NEC students playing in Hynes, Copley, Kenmore, Symphony, ect.?

There are regulars at North Station (upper level, near Garden tunnel), South Station (Red Line Inbound), Government Center (Blue Line), State Street (Anywhere), Downtown Crossing (Anywhere), and Park Street (Red Line), Kenmore (during game nights), Harvard (Inbound).

That's all that I know of as far as regular sightings.

Why on earth aren't there Berklee, BoCo or NEC students playing in Hynes, Copley, Kenmore, Symphony, ect.?

Because they're not that poor and there's kind of a social stigma.

I don't take the subway much, but how come the only time I see a busker is at Park Street? Is it only profitable (relatively speaking) to do that at the busiest stops in the system? Why on earth aren't there Berklee, BoCo or NEC students playing in Hynes, Copley, Kenmore, Symphony, ect.?

Theyre not allowed to. They can only play at locations that have signs saying they can.

Every station has a location set aside for performers. Some stations are a lot more popular than others. Stations that are under construction (Arlington, Copley) probably don't allow performers right now.

I often see buskers at Davis.

Every station has a location set aside for performers. Some stations are a lot more popular than others. Stations that are under construction (Arlington, Copley) probably don't allow performers right now.

I often see buskers at Davis.

I have never seen performance signs at Kenmore, and I know that station like my own bathroom.

They are regularly present at Back Bay station, both on the Orange Line and Commuter Rail platforms. There's an old guy who plays electric guitar who one time performed a perfect fusion of Dylan and Henrix's respective takes on All Along the Watchtower. Really good stuff, and there are a few others with a decent talent level to make the wait time more enjoyable.

There's only one drug store chain downtown -- we'd be better off with some competition.

Back