Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

Please edit for coherence? In what way is the Financial District falling apart? How is it not getting better?

I think he is referring to the massive amounts of vacant space for lease downtown.

Please edit for coherence? In what way is the Financial District falling apart? How is it not getting better?

Downtown looks like a junkie haven,
Boston Common is becoming an upgradable junkie haven
The financial District just looks dismal, EMPTY, lack of life.
The Greenway is not a park just a median strip to walk through.

Cambridge and Somerville have become better places to take long walks.

This is my view.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to concentrate all the junkies on the Greenway?

It's also difficult to take a long walk in the financial district, with Boston Common, Government Center, the North End, South Station, Chinatown, all being, what... five to ten minutes apart? Unless you're willing to spiral around in circles.

I took a long walk through it today, and it wasn't unbearable. I walk all the way from the MIT boathouse, across the river, up Newbury, through DTX, made it to SS, and hopped on the T at Aquarium. The only point I found myself bored was when I crossed the Greenway. The Financial District certainly had plenty of life, perhaps because everyone was just getting out of work, and it was a beautiful day out.

Yep, the financial district is the most exciting and bustling part of the city - at 8:59am, 12-1, and 5:01pm...on weekdays.

Financial District contains plenty of older (and dare one say? ... obsolete) office buildings that in New York would have been converted to condos (can you say "Woolworth"?). If you could build a few supertalls in Boston's Financial District, a similar phenomenon might occur to animate the streets at off hours.

I worked in the NY financial district last year. I don't care how many condos have been built there; it's going to take thousands more to make it anything close to animated at night (lawyers and bankers working 24/7 and hitting the bars during breaks do more to contribute to that...)

today
456.jpg

God, what a fucking awful excuse for a facade on the left. What is that, a tunnel vent? If it's not, it needs to be ripped apart and replaced.

If I'm interpreting the photo location correctly, that's the Boylston Street side of the Ritz-Carlton (Millennium Place) tower, with the CVS storefront.

Yup. They kept it fortress-like because of the flop house next door, which is never going to move.

Does the T really need ventilation there? Why aren't there massive T ventilation stacks everywhere? There's a T station inside and under the Old State House; I haven't seen its facade disfigured for a vent thing.

Just read in the Herald that Felt will be renamed Sin and completely renovated to an upscale downtown nightclub. This is good news since the outdated facade is something that really needed an overhaul. Great news for the area. Now if the Paramount would just change the tacky purple, way-too-bright, light band on its marquis, I'll be happier still.

Somehow the name change doesn't inspire confidence in their targeted clientele.

Somehow the name change doesn't inspire confidence in their targeted clientele.

Completely agree. When are we going to see a place downtown for adults to grab an adult beverage, take a load off their feet, perhaps have a bite to eat and listen to some quality live music (Jazz, Blues, rock whatever)? I know nightclubs serve their purpose, but for those of us married with kids, a nightclub is pretty much the last establishment we will frequent. We need some new establishments in this part of town that cater to folks over 30.

Back