Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

I'd love to see an independent store instead of Borders or B&N, but I doubt that any of the existing independents (Brookline Booksmith, Harvard Book Store, Porter Square Books, Newtonville Books) are financially able or willing to take such a risk.

The used book store DZH22 refers to is the treasured Brattle Book Shop on West Street. If it ever goes away, we're really in trouble.

^

wonder with enough time [and money] could they do something with both lots that would be of greater value

Zacd4.jpg

That's one vacant lot I'd like to see remain that way forever.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Parisian style open air book carts, but I'd rather see a building here, and the book carts moved on to the sidewalk, or even better, West St. closed to vehicular traffic and filled with book carts and other push cart vending.

Traditional bookstores -- derriving revenue from selling physical newly published books and magazines -- evolving into physical distribution of music and video -- are history

However, people like browsing for books and music in ways other than using their dsektop or notebook computers or today even their tablets, etc.

So what is the future of the media store going to look-like -- well at some B&N's you can listen to any music CD using a simple rig to select the genre, artists, etc, and then a private headphone based preview -- replace all of the racks and such with private cubicals where someone with a latte and coissant can sit for 30 minutes and browse books, video, music in comfort and in private or perhaps with a couple of friends) -- anything that you want can be printed on demand or delivered to you in physical form or it can be transmitted to you locally or via the web for you to retrieve at your leisure

Such a place doesn't exist so far -- but ti could at DTX and the old bank now Borders would be a great site -- just need a company such as B&N or WHsmith with the connection with the authors and publishers and some entrepreneurship and a way we go

Throw in a few racks of old books (not necessarily antiquarian) to add bookstore atmosphere and some additional options and you'd have a winner -- i'd be there whenever I was in the neighborhood

Is there such thing as an urban Costcos or an urban BJs? Not that I think it would fit in the Borders, but maybe Filene's pit.... Just ponderin'....

Closest Costco I've seen to an urban area is in Arlington in the same building as a Metro stop and just across the river from the Jefferson Memorial. I think these work because of huge flat footprints with relatively low overhead. Don't see it working in an urban core.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=costc....86464,-77.055724&fspn=0.010927,0.017231&z=16

Was there any good reason for B&N to close up its store in DTX? I don't remember hearing anything at the time. Did they use "rent increase" as an excuse?

I don't recall them making a statement, but the store was considered out of date, didn't have a cafe, was overshadowed by the spanking-new Borders.

if I recall correctly -- I think that B&N opened the new store at Prudential when the Belvedere opened -- the DTX B&N closed about the same time

Traditional bookstores -- derriving revenue from selling physical newly published books and magazines -- evolving into physical distribution of music and video -- are history

However, people like browsing for books and music in ways other than using their dsektop or notebook computers or today even their tablets, etc.

So what is the future of the media store going to look-like -- well at some B&N's you can listen to any music CD using a simple rig to select the genre, artists, etc, and then a private headphone based preview -- replace all of the racks and such with private cubicals where someone with a latte and coissant can sit for 30 minutes and browse books, video, music in comfort and in private or perhaps with a couple of friends) -- anything that you want can be printed on demand or delivered to you in physical form or it can be transmitted to you locally or via the web for you to retrieve at your leisure

Such a place doesn't exist so far -- but ti could at DTX and the old bank now Borders would be a great site -- just need a company such as B&N or WHsmith with the connection with the authors and publishers and some entrepreneurship and a way we go

So a Starbucks|FedEx|Kinko's with cubicles.

I know it is a long shot, but I would love to see some kind of live music venue take over the Borders space. Perhaps a jazz/blues club where folks could go for an after work drink or bite to eat and listen to some free live music and then later in the evening have ticketed events. Is there anything like this in the immediate area? Is the space too big for something like this? I'm thinking a venue capacity of 400ish.

My Patch.com column on ideas for the Borders' space. You'll find that I included many of the suggestions made on the ArchBoston board. I didn't take credit for them (nor, the blame).

Most of the column is a retread of stuff we've discussed here. I mention an initiative taking place in San Francisco to encourage companies to relocate to the Central Market Street area / neighborhood. The city is cutting the city's payroll tax on new employees at companies that move there. Twitter is the big name mover. (The organization behind 'Burning Man' is also taking advantage of the offer.)

Some of the ideas for the Borders' space are interesting. Some are unique (a six-story slide?).

Naturally, I also found enough room in my column to include criticism of our mayor.

Opinion: Borders DTX is Another Hole in The Ground
by John Keith, Patch.com

The Borders in Downtown Crossing will close soon, victim of its parent company's bankruptcy. What should be done with the space?

What should we do about Borders?

Borders Group, Inc. is in the process of liquidating its holdings, selling off the entire inventory in its 399 bookstores before going out of business forever. Here in Boston, its Back Bay branch is already closed, and last week the Downtown Crossing store advertised a 10 percent closeout sale on books in its fiction collection, with discounts of 20 - 40 percent and more expected soon.

This news could not have come at a worse time for the Downtown Crossing (DTX) neighborhood. With the Filene’s hole in the ground just a block away, with the nearby 45 Province condo project less than a third sold, with the proposed One Bromfield apartment complex preparing to break ground, and with multiple retail vacancies leaving the area feeling at times like a ghost town, the neighborhood needs to at least hold its ground until the real estate market and economy improves. Otherwise, we might lose the opportunity to save our city’s main shopping district for as long as another generation.

The DTX Borders at 10-24 School Street includes 36,000-plus square feet of space with the bookstore on the first two levels (the chain’s largest) and separate business offices on the floors above – it’s a large building in a prominent location. (The building's owners can’t be happy losing their prime retail tenant, considering they paid $32.6 million for the property back in 2006, taking out a $24.45 million mortgage loan.)

Assessed at $8.4 million by the city of Boston, the property brings in $260,000 per year in taxes. So, it’s in all of our best interests that it doesn’t lie dormant for very long.

One building can’t be counted on to resurrect an entire neighborhood, but unfortunately, the opposite is true – all it takes is the demise of one building to tilt a neighborhood over the edge into urban blight. That’s what’s at risk here.

We need to ensure that, once Borders closes its doors, something else quickly takes its place. The question is: What should the Downtown Crossing Borders become?

I asked my friends on Facebook and Twitter for ideas. Here are their responses, including the clever, the sarcastic, the silly and the sublime.

Beer Garden
International Food Court
Jewelry District
Roller skating rink
Bigger, better hole (see Filene’s)
B&H photo store
Starbucks|FedEx|Kinko's with cubicles
Full-sized version of Pee-Wee’s Playhouse
Bordello
Redemption center
Movie theater / IMAX
College classrooms
Library (college or public)
Bookstore
Restaurant
Apple store
Performance space
Office space
Open market / flea market
Movie / TV studios
Boston History Museum
Boston Design Museum
Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) Downtown
IKEA
CVS
Kmart
Bank
A new city hall
Trader Joe’s
Multi-level burrito place
Amazon Kindle store (too soon?)
Six-story winding slide
An ethnic-food sensitive Whole Foods
A newspaper office
Pub with good beer and live music
Reopened Filene’s Basement

All of the above are great ideas (although, with varying degrees of practicality). They show that Boston residents feel engaged and involved, that there are plenty of people who want our downtown neighborhood to improve and our city to succeed.

An out-of-town friend suggested, “They should make DTX more of a promenade-like area with higher-end shops and boutiques, cafés, etc.”

Easier said than done, although many cities have had success with this sort of thing, including Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica and Lincoln Road in South Beach, Miami.

Meanwhile, the Boston Herald came up with the concept of a “Digital Alley”.

There’s precedence for this idea of turning a rundown neighborhood into a digital district. Twitter, the online messaging service, is moving into an abandoned furniture showroom building on San Francisco’s Market Street, occupying hundreds of thousands square feet of space.

SF city officials persuaded Twitter to stay local “by proposing a six-year exemption on the city's 1.5 percent payroll tax for new employees of companies located in the mid-Market and Tenderloin neighborhoods,” according to SF Gate.

I’ve never been fond of tax credit gimmicks, so I can’t recommend making this kind of offer, here in Boston. It leads to all types of trouble. They’ve already discovered this in San Francisco, where other internet companies are urging officials to make payroll-tax changes “that would benefit companies no matter where they are located in the city,” according to the Wall Street Journal. But, it’s an interesting idea.

Hopefully, Boston’s leadership is paying attention to this dire situation and is willing to put as much effort into Downtown Crossing, a neighborhood that already exists, as it is in the “Innovation District” which, last time I checked, was still a bunch of parking lots.

And, hopefully, our elected officials are willing to help businesses that are already located in Boston as well as companies that have to be persuaded to move here with offers of buckets of cash in return.

If Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino is going to continue giving our money away to private developers (which seems probable), he could do worse than using it to encourage economic development and growth in a neighborhood such as Downtown Crossing.

What do you think should be put in the Borders' space? And what thoughts do you have about what's going on in Downtown Crossing?

Would help if you identified the street corner. Is this Kensington Place (former site of the Gayety/Publix theatre)?

that's definitely Kensington Place which has been extensively discussed here and I think has its own thread too.

Anyone know whats up with the crane parked on chauncey st. between the hyatt and macy's? Walked by and they had the road closed. Could have been something temporary but I didn't get a chance to ask.

There was road work being done there on Friday, with the street closed.

Back