Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

I was referring to the 80's. I've talked to sales people at Macy's recently and they said the theft is unbelievable and brazen.

On my walk home from work (from Gov't Center to Prudential basically), I decided to go shopping for a few items: some dress socks, under shirts, and brand new underwear. I skipped Macy*s and Lord & Taylor because I didn't want to pay more than I needed to for those items. So I walked into Filene's Basement (on Boylston) and found the socks & undershirts, but ended up paying $50+. I walked across the street to Marshall's looking for the underwear, but they didn't have more than one pair of any single brand. I walked up and down Newbury Street, and then through the Prudential Center.

Underwear.

Such a simple commodity, and not a single retailer in the Back Bay/DTX had what I was looking for.

So I decided to get a Zipcar and make my way down to the South Bay Center Target. 20 pairs of boxer briefs for $35--EXACTLY what I was looking for! And I didn't stop at that either. When all was said and done I spent about $200 on a dozen additional articles of clothing and several items for around the apartment.

No Back Bay, Fenway, Beacon Hill, Downtown, or North End resident should be this separated from an all-around great retailer such as Target. I vow to be a passionate advocate for bringing Target to Downtown Crossing -AND- the Fenway Triangle. This should've been done years ago!

Last edited:
My last underwear purchase was at Burlington coat factory. They have good prices and a large selection.

Do they still exist? They closed their Porter Square store years ago. (It was under Shaw's supermarket and was formerly Decelles.)

Tjmaxx is right there in dtx. I was just there w a $25 gift cert and bought some boxers and a bunch of socks and had 2 cents left over

is that the horrendous ex-Gold's Gym, ex-CVS building on the north side of Summer?

That's the one.

Uno is doing their best, better than the gym. A demolition and fresh start would be even better.

Not sure it's been mentioned, but there's a new-ish Chipotle at the intersection of Summer and Lincoln. There's also a new burrito place readying to open across Kingston Street from Good Life, just past the pizza place on the corner. The burrito place looks grimy but maybe will get spiffed up before opening.

That's the one.

Uno is doing their best, better than the gym. A demolition and fresh start would be even better.

Not sure it's been mentioned, but there's a new-ish Chipotle at the intersection of Summer and Lincoln. There's also a new burrito place readying to open across Kingston Street from Good Life, just past the pizza place on the corner. The burrito place looks grimy but maybe will get spiffed up before opening.

Doesn't Drucker own this spot? This is one of the worst corners on Summer St.

I go to sears at the Cambridge Galleria mall for all my socks, boxer-briefs, and undershirts. Seriously, TJ-Maxx and Marshalls only carry the expensive brands and you have to pay $16.00 for a pack of 2 undershirts. I can get a pack of six hanes undershirts for $15.00 and a pack of six hanes boxer-briefs for the same price. I would much rather go to a Target for this stuff, but alas I hate driving to the Southbay shopping center and would rather ride the green line to get to my destination.

I go to sears at the Cambridge Galleria mall for all my socks, boxer-briefs, and undershirts. Seriously, TJ-Maxx and Marshalls only carry the expensive brands and you have to pay $16.00 for a pack of 2 undershirts. I can get a pack of six hanes undershirts for $15.00 and a pack of six hanes boxer-briefs for the same price. I would much rather go to a Target for this stuff, but alas I hate driving to the Southbay shopping center and would rather ride the green line to get to my destination.

Are you crazy shopping at Sears. Those Items are pre-used then repackaged as new.

52 Summer Street. The location was a gym until earlier this year.

And before that...

boston195603bondsstore.jpg

Goes to show this building doesn't have to be the ugliest thing on the block.

And before that...

(image)

Goes to show this building doesn't have to be the ugliest thing on the block.

WOW, that is a stunning photo. I never would have imagined 52 Summer ever looked that good. Tx for posting!

Because of its lack of windows and boxy shape I was guessing that its original use was for some kind of power generation or other utility.

Do they still exist? They closed their Porter Square store years ago. (It was under Shaw's supermarket and was formerly Decelles.)

In Boston? No clue. The national chain is still active.

Back