Driving around New England Pix's

Isn't Trinity supposed to be a pretty good school?

No idea how much truth there is to this, but I've heard Trinity is a sort of last resort for preppy and probably wealthy kids who didn't make it to the Ivy League...or good Jesuit colleges like BC/Georgetown...or good liberal arts schools like Amherst or Williams.

Personally, I'm fascinated by Hartford. I've been about 2 or 3 times in my life, but never as an "observer." I really know nothing about it.

As far as Hartford doing what Providence has done, I would think (speculating here) that the fact that Providence is a Seaport as well as having Brown, RISD, JWU (which isn't a spectacular school, but does a lot for the city), PC, and other smaller and satellite schools give it an edge over Hartford in that regard. It's also on a much busier traffic corridor (rail, air, sea and road). Providence may sit in the shadow of Boston, but it's not competing with a nearly identically sized city 20-25 minutes away (Springfield).

Again, I don't know much at all about Hartford, but that would be my impression. As far as the "bones" go, don't most old industrial cities have good bones? Most of them were built relatively densely and many have some fairly beautiful old homes and neighborhoods due to the money involved with industry. Usually the cities that do rebound from the demise of industry have some other x-factors going for them aside from good bones. I don't know that Hartford has enough, especially when you look at what it's up against (Springfield and to a degree New Haven nearby).

I read that article with fascination but didn't put too much stock into it. It doesn't take a genius to understand that Detroit is in trouble. Its economy was largely one dimensional and as that particular industry suffers so does the city. I think Detroit will downsize and find some sort of niche as a much smaller, much less significant city.

New Orleans is an interesting case though. I've never been to the city but am going on Sunday and can't wait to see for myself. I have a conference, but only for 2 days. I'm taking the rest of the week to see the city and region. I still won't have memories of NOLA from the pre-Katrina years, but I will have a better understanding when I return.

I don't think Springfield poses much "competition" to Hartford. Hartford has always been the economic heavyweight of the pair, by far...if anything, Springfield being nearby allowed Hartford to claim it was part of a large enough agglomeration to at one time have an NHL team and international flights.

Bones are important. Hartford is, unlike Providence, an inland city without much of a waterfront to serve as a focal point for revitalization. The Connecticut River is cut off from the city by a highway, and is likely to remain so. In fact, much more of the city has been sliced and diced by urban renewal projects, especially urban freeways, than Providence. There's very little pedestrian continuity between downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. The city is also physically small, and suffers from the flight of a lot of wealth to nearby suburbs. The local upper middle class is as burrowed into West Hartford as wealthy South Africans are concentrated in fortified suburbs outside Johannesburg. They live, shop, and eat there exclusively, and only drive into the city to work in very solitary office towers.

Still, there's potential that Acela might realign inland in order to take advantage of higher possible speeds, which would be a boon for Worcester, Springfield and Hartford and a huge detriment to Providence...

Biddeford, Maine
60071_640659032070_6903714_37608738_1327848_n.jpg

60088_640659047040_6903714_37608739_1009127_n.jpg

63851_640659057020_6903714_37608740_4076219_n.jpg

I took some classes down at the Saco campus for USM (great use for that old mill space, btw) and always enjoyed the Saco-Biddeford stretch. It's a little gritty, but it has potential to be a great space.

Downtown Biddeford has come quite a way. There are now new pocket parks and fresh businesses, and the city is drafting a new downtown masterplan. Saco is doing great, too, with the new train station, and a wonderful reuse of the northern mill (turned into a large brew-pub-restaurant that overlooks the historic biddeford mills). You are right, though, that there is some grit and grime, but man what a nice foundation some of these old cities have.

This clock tower is interesting, not just because it is no longer on top of the mill.
33893_640710414100_6903714_37610131_2792194_n.jpg

Interesting to see it deposited at ground level, though it could use some more prominent placement even there. Would make a nice centerpiece for a small park.

Interesting to see it deposited at ground level, though it could use some more prominent placement even there. Would make a nice centerpiece for a small park.

I don't know the history behind how it got there, but I don't think it was intentional. Nor, obviously, do I think it toppled there. Rather, I think it was probably structurally unsound in some way, but too nice to throw away, and too expensive to store elsewhere. That's what I guess. I like your idea for the park (and there are a few in this town that look like they would be big enough to support it), but I would ideally like to see it restored to the building if it ever gets redeveloped (it may have plans to be that I don't know about. I don't spend much time in this town).

I look at those middle class houses and think: why is Winthrop not more expensive? Proximity to Logan? Beside that, it seems to have as much as Marblehead going for it, plus it's closer to Boston.

I look at those middle class houses and think: why is Winthrop not more expensive? Proximity to Logan? Beside that, it seems to have as much as Marblehead going for it, plus it's closer to Boston.

I have to think Logan is reasons 1-10. There must have been a plane a minute, and these things were loud.

IMG_6505.jpg

IMG_6507.jpg

Got it. I knew it was close, but I didn't think it was that close that noise was too bad a factor. Guess I was wrong.

Yeah, quickly scanning the houses on the hill, I see a single door or window cracked open. It's got to be loud. Too bad, too. Then again, maybe it makes an otherwise very expensive area accessible to those who wouldn't otherwise be able to live on the water as long as they can stand the noise.

But their view probably negates that.

Winthrop is nice, got a client there.

Picture from the bridge when you cross into Winthrop from East Boston.

IMG_0652.jpg

White Mt. National Forest Bridge to trail head over river. I think Saco River
IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

Rd. in ME
IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

Portsmouth NH
IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

Exeter NH
IMG_0856.jpg