Driving around New England Pix's

^^^ Ever hear of Google, or Yahoo, or the concept of a search engine in general?

No. Can you tell us more about these, and especially how to use them to look up the geolocation of photos?

OMG, is that sarcasm, from Ron?

It's Stonehill College. I figured it out by looking at the signs in the photos though, not through Google.

OK thanks. I may have missed the signs (or not blown the photos up enough to see them).

sorry should have posted the name of the school! but then again I got 5 post's lol!

Providence 7/29 Took a bunch, here's a few.

IMG_5689.jpg

IMG_5859.jpg

IMG_5760.jpg

IMG_5687.jpg

IMG_5699.jpg

IMG_5795.jpg

IMG_5723.jpg

IMG_5883.jpg

Excellent pictures of Providence. I honestly didn't think it was even half as nice as these pictures make it out to be. I always have this impression of an old run down, inactive city. But then again, I haven't been there much.

It can feel a little empty at times, especially the downtown area (sorry, "Downcity" as the Providencers say) but it definitely doesn't feel run down anywhere near the downtown core or the main eating/shopping neighborhoods like College Hill, Federal Hill, or Fox Point.

I'd go so far as to say it might be the most densely-populated, pedestrian-friendly independent (as opposed to attached to another immediate metro) city of its size in the US.

^ Eh. Waterfire is certainly unique, but it has a weird, theme parky (gondolas plying canals of fire!) meets cult ritual feel. I always think I'm lost somewhere between a Disney Nightly Fireworks type thing and a Druid celebration of the vernal equinox. Providence would be an equally cool city without it; I almost get the sense it's a bit of a crutch that's no longer necessary.

It's probably more densely built than a typical German city; some of those are 10 story+ buildings.

I think that shot is of Westminster St, right downtown. It used to be Providence's main retail street, but right now it's in the process of a slow revitalization. It may not have returned to its former glory, but at the moment it's actually a really cool area with art, book, cheese, and wine stores, but not too too many people...I imagine it sort of like SoHo before it was turned into a mall. In the summer one of the nearby vacant lots hosts outdoor film screenings.

This is sort of a question unrelated to the last pictorial post...but that street shot reminded me of a kind of random question I've had for some time now about a street in Boston. Does anyone know what kind of trees are planted along Canal St. in Boston, by the TD Garden?

canalstreet.jpg

I saw that street while at a concert in February and thought it looked great even then. I usually don't remember the names of little side streets, but I really liked the looks of this one.

Didn't get a picture as I wasn't expecting it, but there's an epic sunflower in the middle of 128 in Peabody at Lowell Street. It's coming right out from under a jersey barrier. Would make a cool shot, I'd say.

What college is in that last set of photos?

Stonehill is a former Ames estate. The main building at Stonehill was known as Stone Hill House, on Stone Hill House Hill, when the Ames owned it. They gave up on it when two Ames kids plowed their aeroplane into a farmer's field in Randolph in the 20's.

This is one part of their current and former holdings in Easton that was not designed by HH Richardson. Richardson did the train station, the town hall, the library, and one or two of the Ames houses, including a great gatehouse to the main estate.

The church picked it up what is now the college on the cheap in the 1934 and the college was founded in 1948. The house was the only college building for the first few years but the school is now a suburban Catholic red brick fantasyland. (I did three years on campus) All the design bravery of a Stoughton ranch house. However, the center of Easton is a great surprise. Sugardaddy spends on small town New England.

This is sort of a question unrelated to the last pictorial post...but that street shot reminded me of a kind of random question I've had for some time now about a street in Boston. Does anyone know what kind of trees are planted along Canal St. in Boston, by the TD Garden?

canalstreet.jpg

I saw that street while at a concert in February and thought it looked great even then. I usually don't remember the names of little side streets, but I really liked the looks of this one.

Honeylocust, Gleditsia triacanthos var. inermis

A great urban tree, it is all over the city, notably in Quincy Market. Also Paley Park in NYC makes great use of these.

Back