East Boston Infill and Small Developments

40 William C. Kelly Square (9 units)

I like this project a lot. I didn't love that it replaced a restaurant, but this is going to be a major improvement to this corner. If a developer ever decided to build urban on the Shaw's and the strip mall properties across the street from this, the square could be a nicely framed urban space.

128 Gove st. Mount Carmel

1702085083336.jpeg

1702085098457.jpeg

https://www.rise.boston/projects/mt-carmel

Not to nitpick, but I live around the corner on Cottage, and 128 Gove is the church. It seems maybe their website is incorrect? The 128 Gove project will be the conversion of the church into apartments and tearing down the condemned side rectory for grass and parking. The building pictured here is the other part of the developme which is much larger, and built in the currently abandoned church school and overgrown adjacent parking lot (on the intersection of Gove and Frankfort). The church is an eyesore, and has been since I moved to this small, but incredibly dense (as dense as the North End) part of Eastie, known as Gove. There's a lot of nearby proposed or approved developments for Gove, which seems is the next area of Eastie to rapidly take off, creeping further out from Jeffries Point/the waterfront.

Not to nitpick, but I live around the corner on Cottage, and 128 Gove is the church. It seems maybe their website is incorrect? The 128 Gove project will be the conversion of the church into apartments and tearing down the condemned side rectory for grass and parking. The building pictured here is the other part of the developme which is much larger, and built in the currently abandoned church school and overgrown adjacent parking lot (on the intersection of Gove and Frankfort). The church is an eyesore, and has been since I moved to this small, but incredibly dense (as dense as the North End) part of Eastie, known as Gove. There's a lot of nearby proposed or approved developments for Gove, which seems is the next area of Eastie to rapidly take off, creeping further out from Jeffries Point/the waterfront.

This building across the street is part of the same approved BPDA project, with the same permits, designer, and developer. They're just using the church address to name the entire project.

This building across the street is part of the same approved BPDA project, with the same permits, designer, and developer. They're just using the church address to name the entire project.
Got it, thanks for exploring 😀

Not sure if this is fhe right thread for thus, but yesterday and today was a blessing to have the newly opened Pier Park II addition! It's nice but has some finishing touches such as bricklaying, small path addition, more landscaping, and such.

Pros:
1. Accessible exercise equipment
2. More water dispensers
3. Well lit. Lots of trees, while they have to grow.
4. Handicapped-Accessible picnic tables.
5. Playground with discovery tools for music for kids.
6. New sailing center building.
7. Handicapped accessible, to make the park wide, ramped for all to enjoy!
8. What is replaces.

Cons:
1. A bit plain for the materials and color scheme, while trying to be the modern addition to the park.
2. Part III will supplement this a lot and it's obvious it completes it.
3. Trees are very young and don't cover the space well, so it's a very open space.

Does it feel connected or like its two different parks that are next to eachother?
It feels connected - just a whole lot less established. For Me, the sod line (where new meets old) and the trees are the biggest differentiators. The walkways in Piers Park II are blacktop whereas I are brick and that’s noticeable, but not enough to make it feel like they’re not connected. It would feel even better connected if the stretch immediately along the waterfront (from E. Pier Drive to the old Sailing Center location) was open. But it’s still fenced off and torn up.

I do not love how much space is committed to surface parking though. Two sizable lots for parks that are a short walk from the Blue Line, ferries, and several bus routes seems completely unnecessary.

Does it feel connected or like its two different parks that are next to eachother?
It's designed to be connected, but doesn't feel that way from the cosmetic mismatch.

Attachments

• 20231215_122012.jpg
    20231215_122012.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 111
  • 20231215_122020.jpg
    20231215_122020.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 101
  • 20231215_122017.jpg
    20231215_122017.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 96
  • 20231215_122213.jpg
    20231215_122213.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
  • 20231215_122029.jpg
    20231215_122029.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 91
  • 20231215_122041.jpg
    20231215_122041.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 90
  • 20231215_122547.jpg
    20231215_122547.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 92
  • 20231215_122026.jpg
    20231215_122026.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 94
  • 20231215_123156.jpg
    20231215_123156.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 97
  • 20231215_122009.jpg
    20231215_122009.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 114
2-10 Maverick Square's fencing is down and just interior work remains. Ground level restaurant remains unknown AFAIK.

It didn't end up 10 stories, but it's a nice start for adding height to the square. This should add a nice corner from what was a taxi parking lot. The likening and pedestrian-friendly improvements start with new buildings like this.

Attachments

• 20231226_081507.jpg
    20231226_081507.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 87

57-unit all affordable housing complex approved for East Boston but possible lawsuit looms​

By adamg on Wed, 01/10/2024 - 12:46pm
Rendering of the two building showing their central plaza

“The Zoning Board of Appeal yesterday approved a proposal for a two-building complex with 35 affordable apartments and 22 affordable condos off Saratoga Street in Orient Heights, but the owner of a commercial building behind which the complex would sit says one of the proposed access routes, via a private way, would violate an easement.

The proposal by the East Boston Community Development Corp. calls for one building to house the apartments, with 14 parking spaces, and the other to house the condos, with 22 parking spaces. The buildings would be numbered 80 and 82 Shawsheen Rd., although the possible continuation of Shawsheen from the other side of Saratoga Street would remain greenspace under the plans….”

https://www.universalhub.com/2024/57-unit-all-affordable-housing-project

East Boston planning initiative gains BPDA approval​

by Liz Hughes

“A new vision for East Boston has been approved following five years of planning and community discussions.

The Boston Planning & Development Agency’s board of directors adopted East Boston Tomorrow, the PLAN: East Boston vision report at its January meeting.
The adoption of the plan follows five years of planning work and community engagement to set a “clear and ambitious vision for the neighborhood, deeply informed by the priorities” of East Boston residents.

The plan includes several initiatives focused on increasing affordable housing, climate change preparedness, enhanced mobility and transit options, supporting local businesses and zoning recommendations for growth.

“This document is called East Boston Tomorrow because it will truly take us into the future in the strongest way possible as Bostonians, producing a future with more housing, improved mobility and better prepared for climate change,” said Boston’s Chief of Planning Arthur Jemison. “I want to thank the community for their collaboration on this process since 2018 and agency staff for their hard work to produce a comprehensive plan that will serve East Boston for decades to come.”

The adoption also includes the board recommending the approval of updated zoning, which will be before the city’s Zoning Commission for adoption. Because the plan recommends new development within residential areas and includes an emphasis on improving access to neighborhood retail amenities, the updated zoning will allow for more mixed-use in the area to allow for more area shops and community uses.

“Neighborhood corner stores are an integral part of East Boston’s economy and social fabric, as they provide walkable access to essential goods and services,” the BPDA board said. “Because of this, the plan recommends updating zoning to allow for a mix of uses like coffee shops, laundromats and community uses like daycares, all of which are prohibited by the current zoning.”
The plan also recommends increasing dentistry in East Boston’s squares and corridors to expand access to housing.

“By intentionally encouraging housing production in transit-accessible areas that offer an abundance of commercial, civic and cultural resources, East Boston residents and business owners will feel benefits beyond access to housing,” the filing says. “When daily needs are available close to home, time and money spent on transportation and the number of car trips can be reduced. In addition, small business owners can benefit from a larger pool of nearby patrons and employees.”

https://bostonagentmagazine.com/2024/01/31/east-boston-planning-initiative-gains-bpda-approval/

Not sure if that's a sarcastic comment or not, but I've frequently seen crews just sheet up a house and come back a day or two later to cut out all the windows with a router or circular saw, not much to do with framing. Wasteful, but that's construction...

Honestly, if their windows are on hold/delayed and they're looking to do any interior work (I've seen crews frame all the exterior walls before any interior walls, even being dried in before putting a single stud up inside), I'd see a reason to leave the window holes boarded up to keep out the wind/rain/snow. Not sure that's the case here, but just thinking out loud..

Not sure if that's a sarcastic comment or not, but I've frequently seen crews just sheet up a house and come back a day or two later to cut out all the windows with a router or circular saw, not much to do with framing. Wasteful, but that's construction...

Honestly, if their windows are on hold/delayed and they're looking to do any interior work (I've seen crews frame all the exterior walls before any interior walls, even being dried in before putting a single stud up inside), I'd see a reason to leave the window holes boarded up to keep out the wind/rain/snow. Not sure that's the case here, but just thinking out loud..
My comment was a bit sarcastic. But it is true that the practice of sheeting up the exterior, then cutting out the openings requires much less measurement and precision on the part of the crew.

Back