IMG_6537 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6538 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6539 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

View from Berman Street

IMG_6568 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6572 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
I really hate this trend of making the penthouse floor silver so that it "disappears." It doesn't disappear. It actually sticks out more. I wish they would just more authentically make it part of the building. You can still have a cornice line below it, but just be honest that there's a floor above it.

I see it as another part of the “new build-old build expansion” class of buildings going up. Youre seeing these new build buildings taking on the look of retro fit old buildings, the Quinn in the south end is a perfect example or “the factory” as well.

Im not sure exactly why theyre doing this for new buildings as its more of a compromise to keep old fabric in a new building, but its showing up a lot lately. Its probably a way to make new buildings blend in with the current fabric and pretend to have old bones. Personally I think youre much less constrained to be able to build something unconstrained, but its more of an indightment that lots of new buildings can look kinda crappy so instead of finding something new that looks great and becomes a new style people love that can be replicated, instead they kinda have to create faux history to try to make up for lack of imagination.

That being said a lot of them still look pretty good, but I wish they could really come up with something new thats fresh AND looks great.

50268487418_fa64be9049_b.jpg

Do building codes allow this [apparent] lack of a rear fire escape?

IMG_2771 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2770 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2769 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2773 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2774 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2776 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2775 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2777 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2778 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2782 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2784 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2785 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2787 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2789 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2790 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

It still astounds me that we have not found a way for the City of Boston to take some of the tax $$$ from East Boston's renaissance and stump it up for Red-Blue connector, similar to Cambridge & Somerville did for the GLX.

Back