Educate everyone on a good website...

Well, I know I just found the next must-see quartier of the City of Light:

DSCN1333.jpg

DSCN1437.jpg

I wonder how many people know it sometimes looks like Orange County in the suburbs there?

There are a surprizing number of cheap commie blocks scattered in the burbs, mixed in with the Carrefours and industrial parks.

But I think it compares favorably with the inner suburban ring of say, NYC.

^ I actually don't think it's that different. Let's see, commie blocks (Fort Lee, NJ), hypermarkets (Paramus, NJ), cute villagey towns for wealthier people (Westchester), tract housing (Long Island)...yup, got it all.

The difference is that most of the cheap commie blocks in Paris (and their violent crime, immigrant angst, poverty) are in the burbs, whereas NYC keeps it in the city limits.

^^ Got to disagree w/ that. Yonkers has crime and grit, as does plenty of spots in Jersey and to the suprise of some Long Isalnd has some tough spots.

Sometimes I visit WW1 battlefields if any are nearby. The drama and importance of the battle and the (often) banality of the locale can be so at odds.
I posted the suburban link because it is a pretty good su...(sorry, Nelly Carreno just came on the NECN weather)...
As I was saying, the link is a pretty good pictorial summary of the Marne valley suburbs. Probably not a big tourist draw, unless you are a EuroDisney fan.
Haven't spent time in the other suburban areas, so I defer to those who have done time there.
The visual aesthetic of NYC inner suburbs seems inferior to the areas I've been to. I leave the discourse on social conditions to the sociologists!

^^ Got to disagree w/ that. Yonkers has crime and grit, as does plenty of spots in Jersey and to the suprise of some Long Isalnd has some tough spots.

Yes, but there's not a relatively consistent pattern of wealth in the city, crime and poverty outside in New York as there is in Paris.

That picture above of suburban Paris doesn't look much like 'crime and poverty' to me.

Gents, (and ladies). What do you think of our new type of design? Designed for those with a super widescreen frame of mind (and monitor...)

New design

Gents, (and ladies). What do you think of our new type of design? Designed for those with a super widescreen frame of mind (and monitor...)

New design

Not very impressive and confusing to navigate. Also, you bragged about the biggest flaw the site has: the extremely widescreen layout that requires almost all users to use scrollbars (which are so Web 1.0). The index has no clear navigation structure or even searchable text, which then effects the site's accessibility for those who have vision impairments and use screen readers. When I visited the site, I was unsure of what it was about, what the content meant, and if I could click on buildings that interested me. I clicked on WTC 1 and 2 because I love Minoru Yamasaki and it led me to a nice thread with some pictures and videos which I appreciated.

Overall, I can appreciate the desired feel of the website and the want to have featured buildings or projects on the homepage for quick-access, but they're presented in too haphazard of a manner for it to be comprehensible. Our younger generation would probably figure out and navigate the site fine, but someone older might have difficulty understanding how the site works.

</web design bitch>

If you love Boston, if you love Massachusetts, then you should read Commonwealth magazine, every quarter. Get a subscription, even, to support their work.

Not just about government, it's about transportation, development, and all things urban.

http://www.commonwealthmagazine.org/

This is probably old news to most and may even have been posted here already, but it just popped up on my radar screen, so in case anyone else out there has yet to find it:

http://openbuildings.com/

I love the smart phone app. It generates a list of interesting buildings nearby based on your location.

Back