Emerson College's Paramount Center

Re: BRA approves Emerson College's Paramount Center

L11006302.jpg

^ Crookedy ol' thang.

I have never found a good picture of this addition, it looks pretty bad in the one rendering I've seen. Reminds me of that terrible new residential building in the Charlestown Navy Yard, no pic anywhere even on their web site and now that it's completed I know why they kept the design a secrete.

skin going on! 104-08
177.jpg
178.jpg
all these new buildings are starting to look alike!

11-25-08
001-3.jpg
003-2.jpg

img4609bt7.jpg

img4610ng8.jpg

img4608cn2.jpg

img4607pz9.jpg

This would look awesome if there wasn't already so much glass and new brick in the area, so I'll only give it a very good, because I've always liked when buildings have an old facade and throw in a modern superstructure.

What are they doing to the actual Paramount facade?

Nothing. It has already been extensively restored and looks great (except for the boarded-up entryway)

Before:
L1090241.jpg

Now:
img4609bt7.jpg

Looks like they removed the to metal grates (??) on either side of the sign. Hopefully the are restoring them and will put them back.

Hmm, I don't know the answer to that. I'll take a walk by it soon and look around.

I'm still wondering how the Opera House gets its sets in and out, now that this project has built on its former loading dock.

Sarah Caldwell negotiated to rights to block of weeks to the Opera House when she sold it. Does any one know what happend to those weeks now that she is dead?

Good question, but I bet that was contingent on her company continuing to exist, which it doesn't. Do either Opera Boston or Boston Lyric Opera even want to perform there?

I didn't realize how much of the interior was restored. For some reason I thought it was gutted.

paramont.jpg

Where did you find that rendering?

In the link above my post.

Back