Exchange South End ( Boston Flower Exchange) | Albany Street | South End

Re: Flower Exchange Redevelopment

For reference the Harbor towers are 400 ft.

Salesforce, which is leasing half the space in the Salesforce Tower, will have about 5,000 employees in 2 million square feet of adjacent office space in San Francisco. Of course, the tower sits atop a major transit hub.

Salesforce, which is leasing half the space in the Salesforce Tower, will have about 5,000 employees in 2 million square feet of adjacent office space in San Francisco. Of course, the tower sits atop a major transit hub.

That is a good comparison point.

This site has decent highway access and will (reasonably so) have a good deal of parking. A parking space is as big as an office, bigger than a cubical. That is going to cut into the usable square footage.

Doesn't this make sense? 5000 employees located on a major transit hub.

Instead we let developments like Harbor Garage sit in gridlock (but the location is on a major transit blue line access along with walking distance from NStation and SStation)

But then we build out a sprawling suburban Seaport Development which creates more useless traffic.

Where is the logic to this?
At least Kendal Square has the Redline Running through the heart of Cambridge.

Doesn't this make sense? 5000 employees located on a major transit hub.
Riff -- the equivalent is 6000 employees of Partners at Assembly
Instead we let developments like Harbor Garage sit in gridlock (but the location is on a major transit blue line access along with walking distance from NStation and SStation)
Huh -- How about the Congress St garage which is currently under construction
But then we build out a sprawling suburban Seaport Development which creates more useless traffic.

Have you actually ever been down to the Seaport and walked over the Congress St. Bridge crossed over to Seaport Blvd and returned over the Moakley Bridge -- there is actually nothing that relates to your "sprawling suburban" -- its about as urban as the Financial District except that the towers are a bit shorter and there's more glass

Where is the logic to this?
At least Kendal Square has the Redline Running through the heart of Cambridge.

I presume that you are questioning your own premise -- and unfortunately there is no logic to your premise or your development of it

Sorry

Update on the Boston Flower Exchange moving to Chelsea

An existing building at 260 2nd St in Chelsea is being renovated for the vendors (or nearly all of them) at the old (and closing) Boston Flower Exchange. The new name of the association will be the New England Flower Exchange. Facility will have more refrigeration and ease of loading/unloading.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...new-chelsea/NOU0XHm29IxYzka6PdCDlN/story.html

New owners of Flower Exchange unveil their plan for the site

Abbey is targeting companies that want to be near Boston Medical Center and Boston University Medical School. The cluster of four buildings of lab or tech office space would total some 1.6 million square feet, rising 200 feet or more near the Southeast Expressway. Offices would have large open floor plans, while restaurants and stores would go at street level, as well as a cultural center and plaza Abbey has dubbed “Albany Green.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ch-complex/jvy96C9P1ktqszQwmj35kL/story.html?

What the neighborhood has lacked, Keravuori notes, is much in the way of new office space. The 5.5-acre site is big enough for a campus that could compete with Kendall Square, Longwood Medical Area, and the Seaport to attract companies, he notes.

I don't know about this. Kendall is served by Red line. Longwood is served (albeit not very well) by 2 Green lines. How do people get here? Walk from their South End homes? Or (more likely) use Melnea Cass?

I don't know about this. Kendall is served by Red line. Longwood is served (albeit not very well) by 2 Green lines. How do people get here? Walk from their South End homes? Or (more likely) use Melnea Cass?

The same could be said for BMC itself. Abbey Group is saying that the hospital is the anchor.

The same could be said for BMC itself. Abbey Group is saying that the hospital is the anchor.

"Anchor" like "anchor tenant"? All the Globe article says is that "Abbey is targeting companies that want to be near Boston Medical Center and Boston University Medical School", with no mention of BMC itself as a tenant.

As far as competing with Kendall and Longwood, BMC and BU Med do not have nearly the same research focus/culture/reputation as MIT or the Longwood institutions. I wonder how many deep-pocketed life sciences companies will see a community-focused hospital as a draw. To me, it seems like there's much more of a market for residential at this location than office.

Also, they should just keep the "Boston Flower Exchange" name; they bought the rights to it with the parcel. It is so much more authentic than "Albany Green".

Silver Line Washington, Red Line Broadway and Andrew are each about 0.5 miles away.

If they are smart they would offer a shuttle service (to either Andrew or Broadway).

Silver Line Washington, Red Line Broadway and Andrew are each about 0.5 miles away.

If they are smart they would offer a shuttle service (to either Andrew or Broadway).

Broadway's more like 0.8 and the stretch from Andrew is for all intents and purposes unwalkable.

"Anchor" like "anchor tenant"? All the Globe article says is that "Abbey is targeting companies that want to be near Boston Medical Center and Boston University Medical School", with no mention of BMC itself as a tenant.

As far as competing with Kendall and Longwood, BMC and BU Med do not have nearly the same research focus/culture/reputation as MIT or the Longwood institutions. I wonder how many deep-pocketed life sciences companies will see a community-focused hospital as a draw. To me, it seems like there's much more of a market for residential at this location than office.

I meant as a an anchor for tenants, not as a tenant itself. If Abbey Group thinks that there's a market for life sciences research there (they're next to the Biohazard Lab, remember) I'm sure they have research to support it. Actually, the Biohazard Lab is a pretty good reason not to build housing there. Between that and the highway, I can't believe demand would be that high for luxury housing.

Bus Route 1 and CT1 also serve the area along with Dudley Station, but honestly it would be great if they created a light rail that runs the length of Mass Ave.

Bus Route 1 and CT1 also serve the area along with Dudley Station, but honestly it would be great if they created a light rail that runs the length of Mass Ave.

I guess it's walkable to Broadway, but not a nice walk. And we're talking about 1.6 million square feet of office/lab space. That's, what, a few thousand commuters in and out every day? They're sure not all going to make that hike. Transportation will be interesting.

If Biogens new building in Cambridge is to serve as an example at 190,000 sq. ft. and 300 employees, we are looking at around 1600 people in and out of this development. While that would clearly overwhelm the transportation system if it were built in a day, in reality this will take 10-15 years for full build out, (at a minimum), and by that time, solutions will be found. Some of them will be rather creative, yes, but I don't really see transportation as the real barrier to making this project happen.

abbey1.0.jpg

Back