Exchange South End ( Boston Flower Exchange) | Albany Street | South End

Nice. 300 Foot Towers. Hopefully not boxes like the seaport. Will we a nice visual from the Highway.

Hmm. This is in the part of the South End that was recently re-Zoned right? It looks like there is a max height of 100/150'. I think it's pretty unlikely that a developer is going to be allowed to build twice (three times that). We saw this on the Harrison Albany site where the developer wanted a lot more height and was brought down to conform to the zoning (admittedly with a higher FAR)

Should be interesting to watch.

Is this building part of it?

IMG_5378 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_5379 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_5380 by David Z, on Flickr

where's whighlander to give you an insanely long history where he insults you to start? *

In case others don't know, this is the original flower exchange, formerly located where current day Beehive is located. Whiglander would have, of course, give n you a longer history on the battle of gettysburg.

The flower exchange has now located to its third location in Chelsea. Good luck.

* I actually miss Whighlander.

i miss Whiggy a lot.

i spent much of the day on Saturday in Vicksburg, MS.....

very rundown town with a cool rail tunnel, horseshoe curve and a few other treasures.....

and perhaps, even the occasional fantasma......

The other side of this bridge is the top of a slight hill that a regiment of Union solders defended for ~7 weeks
in the bloody battle that took over 10,000 lives..... Most of the regiment died of course. But, they killed an asston
of Confederates with their cannons and rifles.

a Kansas City Southern train traveling east possibly from Shreveport, LA toward Birmingham, AL,
moments after crossing the Mississippi......

Last edited:
^ What in gods name does that have to do with the flower exchange development?

i miss Whiggy a lot.

You don't see the dandelion in the first pic? (Hint: lower right)
H
From wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Flower_Exchange

History Edit

The Boston Cooperative Flower Growers Association leased the first space for a wholesale growers' market in 1892 in an empty storefront on Tremont Street, near the current Park Street T Station. Before the end of the year the location was overcrowded and the Board of Directors decided to lease the basement of the Park Street Church in 1894. As the success of the market continued to attract more growers and buyers, the market was forced to move again in 1903, this time to 163 Columbus Avenue. When the stalls in the newly renovated market were auctioned off, the exorbitant prices pushed some of the growers to form another organization, named the Boston Cooperative Market, which opened in the basement of the old Music Hall.

The Flower Exchange was founded in 1909 when the two organizations combined in order to find a building that could better meet their collective needs. They moved once more to Winthrop Square before settling on the Cyclorama Building on Tremont Street in 1923, which once housed the famous panoramic painting of the battle Gettysburg. Due to the increasingly haphazard parking situation and plans by the controversial Boston Redevelopment Authority to purchase the Cyclorama building, the original home to the Gettysburg Cyclorama, now the main building of the Boston Center for the Arts, the Board of Directors began looking for a new location in 1963.

ZNnsoXa.jpg

QdSlaDE.jpg
Kf8tg1F.jpg

m3tY0N7.jpg

iHz6VrA.jpg

oTe5m0X.jpg

E8LqiCF.jpg

C2wf1jK.jpg

Walking to andrew is farther than it looks but they could also have a new bus that takes people from here/ink block to the closest station. For that reason I think residential will work best so you dont have a huge influx of commuters to their office.

Normally I hate marketing name for new developments but "Exchange" works. Although it should be "The Exchange" or "Exchange Place", yeah?

Normally I hate marketing name for new developments but "Exchange" works. Although it should be "The Exchange" or "Exchange Place", yeah?

Might get confusing with the existing Exchange Place downtown... :)

Looking at the "aspirational vision" for the site, well, I think it, umm... Let me start over...Why in the world does this place need a lawn, a plaza, and a garden? How about, this place is right between Albany St. and the highway, across the street from a jail and a biohazard level 4 medical facility. Just put up some buildings and be done with it.

Looking at the "aspirational vision" for the site, well, I think it, umm... Let me start over...Why in the world does this place need a lawn, a plaza, and a garden? How about, this place is right between Albany St. and the highway, across the street from a jail and a biohazard level 4 medical facility. Just put up some buildings and be done with it.

Maybe they are trying to be nice?

As I understand, one of the principals for Abbey Group is a Southender himself. With the Legatt McCall proposal right across the street (east dedham and east canton and albany) putting in a few hundred more apartments, the opportunity is now to offer such public places.

There is a public information meeting on this tonight for South-Enders:

18192555_10211449341285146_3102338013325458224_o.jpg

Very nice scale for the area!

4 buildings, looks like 3 over 200' and tallest will eclipse 300', ~1.6 million square feet in total. Heights given below do NOT include mechanicals.

A: 5 floors, 92'
B: 14 floors, 200'
C: 20 floors, 282' (with clearly a big/tall crown from the renders!)
D: 15 floors, 215'

Note besides the renders starting on page 40, there are some good diagrams after page 215.

Amazon?

Looks like all office/research. I wish they included some residential but oh well.

Is there anything planned for the floral supply site next door?

Hope it doesn't end up looking like Stamford.

Back