Exchange South End ( Boston Flower Exchange) | Albany Street | South End

This will be an especially convenient destination given its close proximity to Midtown, Boston's newest Olympic neighborhood, with its plethora of Track 61-related transit options. Coming no later than 2024. Feel the excitement?

So can we put a friggin red line branch under mass ave already?

abbey1.0.jpg

By 2030, when this actually happens, I hope it doesn't look like that.

“We see it as a sort of European plaza,” said Bill Keravuori, a managing partner at Abbey.

I suppose that 'sort of' covers a lot of sins.

^plaza as in paternoster square?

I feel like these aren't finalized plans, I think they're just conceptual placeholders until they find anchor tenants (like partners at Assembly) that will design the buildings to their liking. They could build it to spec but I doubt that.

I feel like these aren't finalized plans, I think they're just conceptual placeholders until they find anchor tenants (like partners at Assembly) that will design the buildings to their liking. They could build it to spec but I doubt that.

I agree, this is not a great area for speculation. Maybe they'll do one smaller building on spec to prime the pump, but I suspect they'll need a tenant before they build significant square footage.

Area has zero transit, how is this development going to attract businesses?

Yup, pretty much. Doesn't mean they don't succeed.

But they payed $7.3 million per acre. That's nowhere near a Waltham / Watertown price.

You can either attract businesses the way Kendall and Longwood do or you can attract businesses the way Waltham and Watertown do. If you go the Waltham / Watertown route you shouldn't pay Kendall / Longwood prices.

Somehow thousands of people work at BMC every day without a problem. There's cachet to having offices in the South End, it's right next to the Medical Center, and no further from the T than some of the outlying offices that like to call themselves "Kendall." I'm not convinced this will work, but the prophesying of doom seems to be going a bit too far.

It's also not too far from the Orange Line, and some pretty convenient bus connections. I work near there, I walk from Mass Ave. Station and it's not at all a problem.

Somehow thousands of people work at BMC every day without a problem. There's cachet to having offices in the South End, it's right next to the Medical Center, and no further from the T than some of the outlying offices that like to call themselves "Kendall." I'm not convinced this will work, but the prophesying of doom seems to be going a bit too far.

Not "doom." I suspect Abbey will work this out. But it does have some transportation challenges. Those challenges can be overcome, but they will be a hurdle, especially when it comes to landing the size of tenant it'll take to anchor buildings this large.

As for the cachet of offices in the South End, how's that working out for Ron Druker? His site is much closer to both the Back Bay and Downtown. But, crickets.

It's also not too far from the Orange Line, and some pretty convenient bus connections. I work near there, I walk from Mass Ave. Station and it's not at all a problem.

Nine-tenths of a mile from Back Bay Station, or from Tufts. That's walkable for the hearty urbanist. But it's not nothing.

By the time this thing is built people will just take self driving Ubers to work. No need to worry about parking.

Nice. 300 Foot Towers. Hopefully not boxes like the seaport. Will we a nice visual from the Highway.

Nice. 300 Foot Towers. Hopefully not boxes like the seaport. Will we a nice visual from the Highway.

Hum, 300 ft. towers would imply more office than labs. But I would think the location near BMC would call for some serious laboratory components for the types of business that would want to locate there?

Back