Exchange South End ( Boston Flower Exchange) | Albany Street | South End

Fantastic!!

Guess who filed a PNF yesterday?

(if your answer is the Abbey Group for the Flower Exchange, then you're right!)

Renders start at page 40.

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/1b903566-89e7-4a47-8f8a-19b199496224

RroDmSah.jpg

That looks really nice and will add a lot to the area. It may be, dare I say it...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

A game changer!

Hmmmm. Very on the fence here. The street level looks great and creates something where nothing was before, but the buildings themselves look very "meh". Looks like Stamford as someone mentioned above.
Why not taller here. I think it would look fantastic to have something like the Rincon Towers in SF here. Highway passes by these towers. I think tall and slim would be better set back from the South End side, with towers closer to the highway.

1024x1024.jpg

FAA is about 400' here
Hmmmm. Very on the fence here. The street level looks great and creates something where nothing was before, but the buildings themselves look very "meh". Looks like Stamford as someone mentioned above.
Why not taller here. I think it would look fantastic to have something like the Rincon Towers in SF here. Highway passes by these towers. I think tall and slim would be better set back from the South End side, with towers closer to the highway.

1024x1024.jpg

I have some doubts as to the population density in this area to make that plaza/mall work.

I'm not 100% sure where this is, but judging by the FAA map it would be able to go 375'-400' max. The tallest tower could probably go 3-5 more floors but that's as much height as this location could get.

That looks really nice and will add a lot to the area. It may be, dare I say it...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

A game changer!

Nice one. A fellow hater of curbed. I haven't even checked their website in over a year.

I'm fine with this. What I'd like to see is a removal of BU's fence along the mass ave connector which is obnoxious and wrong, and the conversion of bio tech drive or whatever it's called into the melnea cass path extension over to the bridge over fort point. It's absurd that bu gets to just hog all this property and shunt the bikes onto the sidewalk of a highway exit!

They call the plaza/park the "Albany Green Quiet Garden" which sounds lovely until you realize that they are putting a street between the buildings which is the opposite of green, quiet and garden. No one wants to sit in a park with cars whizzing by 10 feet away. They should not add car access on East Dedham Extension.

They call the plaza/park the "Albany Green Quiet Garden" which sounds lovely until you realize that they are putting a street between the buildings which is the opposite of green, quiet and garden. No one wants to sit in a park with cars whizzing by 10 feet away. They should not add car access on East Dedham Extension.

I'd like to see less hardscape too. I like the irregular shape and dimension to the "mini-drumlin" of the lawn and I'd like to see it repeated on the eastern end, or have a more regular square/rectangular-shaped lawn to compliment the current grassy area in the proposal.

Confused some of those for Seaport renders at first.

It does seem bland. Kind of surprising for Stantec, their recent work in Boston (MassArt tree house, 47 Lagrange, the Harlo) has had an interesting energy and liveliness to it. The massing seems fine but the buildings could be so much more in such a prominent location.

It does seem bland. Kind of surprising for Stantec, their recent work in Boston (MassArt tree house, 47 Lagrange, the Harlo) has had an interesting energy and liveliness to it. The massing seems fine but the buildings could be so much more in such a prominent location.

That was all work done by ADD Inc. before they were acquired. They've gone corporate.

That was all work done by ADD Inc. before they were acquired. They've gone corporate.

That could be it, but both 47 Lagrange and the Huntington theater associated residence tower are new and much more interesting than this proposal. To some extent, it reflects what the client wants . But it would be nice if they were hiring Boston Stantec to do what they have shown a knack for, rather than as a generic corporate architect. SO 105 W. 1st, another new Stantec building, is just boring and chunky. They can crank that stuff out but so can a lot of firms.

Basically, they can do better and I wish the client would let them.

The tall tower looks like it gonna be a fatty from the side...wish they had rendered it.

I'll be really happy if they actually plant that many trees (and let them grow without chopping them down later).

The modern aversion to providing ample shade in public spaces always seems weird to me.

I'll be really happy if they actually plant that many trees (and let them grow without chopping them down later).

Good point. Trees would help make Albany street feel less of an industrial stretch and help improve air quality a bit given the proximity to 93 and mass pike.

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/5ae2b798-240c-49c0-8940-6054ed81f4c0

Some design changes were made to the development proposal. Saw this on the South End facebook group page.

Some very neat changes shown in this PDF.

The most obvious change is gaining height (to 321 feet) on the building further away from Albany in exchange for lower height on the closer buildings.

Before:
k0OISCv.png

After:
b8bzNprh.jpg

Last edited:

Back