EXP | 795 Columbus Avenue | Northeastern University

Thanks! Apparently they did not have an official groundbreaking ceremony. I was wondering if this would be postponed. I check News @ Northeastern daily and missed it. There has been no article about the construction, just the picture.

I am also not aware of any official groundbreaking or announcement, but that photo shows them ripping down the recently finished landscaping around the bridge (the second time, since they've done that, they landscaped it after ISEC, them ripped it down for the bridge, then built it back up again)

I think this is for the 'underground' connector.

Specifically:
MEXj7Dwh.png

It is weird that they would build it up 2 times to take it down again.

Fantastic pictures Bee, great to see it moving quickly. As for the landscaping, I'm sad to see it go. Again.

Here's the building upon opening in 2017, note the landscaping in the foreground:
northeasternexterior2.jpg

Then in 2018 for the bridge:
20190330_155253.jpg

Then in 2019 it looked lovely:
20191010_132415.jpg

Now in 2020 looking at Beelines photos they've not only torn down the landscaping, they've completely torn down the bridge walkway... Which is incredible because they only finished work on that in the last 8 months or so, they spent ages installing fencing and lighting along the sloped walkway and it's all gone, including the sloped walkway itself, and the fancy bridge over the raingarden. Which they literally put up nice permanent signage about and finished landscaping literally in April of this year. Note the concrete slope in the background of this image is now totally gone along with all that landscaping. Odd decisions.

20200412_123519.jpg

Oh and totally blocking the Columbus Ave bikelanes and SW Corridor trail would be a big no no in any time other than a pandemic when commuting is down as much as it is.

I am amazed that there has been no mention of construction being underway in the Northeastern media aside from that single picture.

I am amazed that there has been no mention of construction being underway in the Northeastern media aside from that single picture.

Nobody home at the PR office this barely-there semester? Wouldn't surprise me.

I'm shocked BU's Daily Free Press is still chugging along at full-tilt, but them always being indie detached from the University means they have leeway to chart their own way and student staffers there are more likely to be holding down other journo gig work on the side keeping them in-town while rest of campus is empty.

Nobody home at the PR office this barely-there semester? Wouldn't surprise me.

I'm shocked BU's Daily Free Press is still chugging along at full-tilt, but them always being indie detached from the University means they have leeway to chart their own way and student staffers there are more likely to be holding down other journo gig work on the side keeping them in-town while rest of campus is empty.
News@Northeastern, their PR department, is grinding out stories, just not about EXP.

News@Northeastern, their PR department, is grinding out stories, just not about EXP.
I think students would consider that rather insensitive, given the much larger issues and happenings going on around Northeastern right now involving Coronavirus. Northeastern patting themselves on the back for building a new expensive science building would get near universal backlash from students right now. Can confirm construction is still quietly progressing along though.

Not the greatest quality photo by any means, but here's an angle of the plot of land that I don't think we see too often. From here, you can kind of get a feel for how much space will be going towards the little plaza between ISEC and EXP.

image0.jpeg

This may or may not be a dumb question, but is EXP the final name? I know ISEC was originally ISEB, but both of those abbreviations at least had meaning. I've yet to hear from anyone what EXP stands for.

This may or may not be a dumb question, but is EXP the final name? I know ISEC was originally ISEB, but both of those abbreviations at least had meaning. I've yet to hear from anyone what EXP stands for.
My guess is that in the next few years wealthy donors will make naming gifts for each building. The two buildings combined will be known as ISEComplex.

Looks like what I thought was previously them going vertical is not the case. I’m currently sitting in ISEC and watching (and hearing them, quite loudly, I might add) ram these steel beams into the ground. So much force from the equipment they’re using that it’s literally shaking the ground all the way up here from the sixth floor.

My guess is that in the next few years wealthy donors will make naming gifts for each building. The two buildings combined will be known as ISEComplex.
I think it’ll be hard to group the two buildings together into one ISEC. The student body by and large refers to the first building solely as ISEC. It’ll be very hard to remove that association, IMO. Sort of like a John Hancock/200 Clarendon or Willis/Sears Tower issue.

Back