EXP | 795 Columbus Avenue | Northeastern University

It wasn't necessarily nixxed by the rail people. NEU themselves shut that down after they saw through experience how big of a pain it was to deal with working over so many active ROWs.
I heard that it was the MBTA that nixed it but maybe Northeastern didn't fight it for the reason you mention.

I heard that it was the MBTA that nixed it but maybe Northeastern didn't fight it for the reason you mention.
Zash's answer was correct.

The bureaucracy surrounding multiple rights of way (ROW) where the the Arc bridge was constructed was the reason cited by Northeastern for giving up on the second half of the Arc bridge to Sciences Quad. Although it would've been constructed as one construction project, it was officially two bridges, which means it was two crossings (quite close to each other). MBTA, Amtrak, MassDOT, City of Boston, multiple utilities, et al need to sign off on each bridge project like that one, not to mention the state and federal environmental reviews, maintenance planning, and multiple levels of public engagement (not simply a BPDA hearing or NU Task Force meeting). The approval timeline for the arc bridge did not align with NU's needs for a high volume pedestrian crossing, so NU made the call to only pursue the one crossing and plan around that.

I also hope it doesn't become an executive event space and maintains some level of public access
With how it looks to be in relation to the rest of that particular floor, it doesn't seem like it'll be cordoned off from the public. I'm thinking more so along the lines of the Curry Student Center Terrace.

F4D77E4E-7938-44A6-B8AC-522423EFE3CD.jpeg

Steel work being done on the roof structure

There was no groundbreaking ceremony due to COVID. Any word about a topping off ceremony?

Wow.. first time seeing this thread, this is quite impressive. NU doing some good work!

Might be a dumb question, but does anyone know what" EXP" stands for? I Know ISEC stands for "Interdisciplinary Science & Engineering Complex". I can't seem to find what "EXP" means.

Might be a dumb question, but does anyone know what" EXP" stands for? I Know ISEC stands for "Interdisciplinary Science & Engineering Complex". I can't seem to find what "EXP" means.

I assume it's naming is related to Physics forums where "exp" means "exponential" function. I'm surprised it's not named after a donor or famous Physics researcher. Could it be that simple?

Back