Fall River/New Bedford Commuter Rail (South Coast Rail)

Re: Fall River/New Bedford Commuter Rail

^I don't think that's off. I think a big part of the creation of more tracks would be increased headways on the Fairmont Line (I think now it's a max of 15 min, right?) as well as more frequent service on other lines too.

Rerouting Worcester traffic seems like a good move as well so long as it doesn't adversely impact current ridership. Does anyone have any idea what that would do as far as travel times go?

MAJOR MILESTONE FOR SOUTH COAST RAIL REACHED AS PATRICK-MURRAY ADMINISTRATION ACQUIRES CSXT RAIL LINES
Transaction comes at same time MassDOT advertises South Coast Rail TIGER ARRA project to rebuild three rail bridges

Start Date: 6/18/2010
Email: Colin.Durrant@state.ma.us

BOSTON - Thursday, June 17, 2010 - As part of the Patrick-Murray Administration's commitment to the South Coast Rail economic development and transportation project, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) has closed on the legal transaction with CSX Transportation to acquire the rail lines necessary for the restoration of commuter rail service between Boston and the South Coast region.

"Helping this region realize the promise of South Coast Rail has been our focus since day one," said Governor Deval Patrick. "While others have stopped at talking about this project, we are making it happen. This agreement is another important example of our commitment to bringing this project one step closer to reality."

"The Patrick-Murray Administration has been dedicated to delivering commuter rail service to the South Coast region," said Lieutenant Governor Timothy Murray. "By partnering with CSXT, we have reached a major milestone in this process, and it will be critical to use this investment to leverage future job growth, transportation services, and economic development in communities like Taunton, Fall River, and New Bedford."

"This is another important step towards bringing commuter rail to the South Coast to create jobs, reduce pollution, and relieve traffic congestion. It will link the economies, businesses, and homes of New Bedford and Fall River with Boston. Since 2005, we obtained more than $30 million in federal funding for this project from Congress because we know what it will do for our economy and our environment. Governor Patrick has been the first Massachusetts Governor to move forward on South Coast rail. I want to thank CSXT for their efforts and I'm proud to have worked so closely with Tim Murray and Jim McGovern - we just refused to quit before the job was done," said Senator John Kerry.

"Extending commuter rail to Southeastern Massachusetts is incredibly important for economic development in the region," said Congressman James McGovern. "I applaud Governor Patrick and Lieutenant Governor Murray for their tenacious work on this issue."

The newly-acquired 30 miles of track run from Cotley Junction in Taunton to Fall River and New Bedford. As part of the agreement, the Commonwealth now controls the tracks and will be able to dispatch passenger trains once the South Coast Rail line begins operation.

In another major milestone for South Coast Rail, last week a new request for proposals was released on Thursday June 10 for the reconstruction of three rail bridges in New Bedford. In February, the Obama Administration awarded MassDOT $20 million in competitive stimulus TIGER funds to replace the deteriorating railroad bridges. Bridge construction will begin in the fall.

"Commuter rail to the South Coast is this much closer to becoming a reality after years of inaction from previous Administrations. Those of us who have fought so hard for funding to ensure this project gets the outcome it deserves know there are still hurdles to clear, but are feeling ever confident the effort we've put in was not in vain. On the merits, South Coast Rail is as strong as any project in the state and that is why it continues to garner strong attention and support," said Senator Mark Montigny.

"This recent progress with the South Coast Rail is encouraging. Southeastern Massachusetts needs a commuter rail and this new agreement brings this profound project one step closer to fruition. I applaud the Patrick-Murray Administration for continuing their fight for the South Coast Rail, as the jobs and economic opportunities that will be created are much needed," said Senator Marc Pacheco.

"One of the major concerns I hear often is about the difficulty of Attleboro area residents getting public transportation to Fall River and New Bedford. This major development will help our residents obtain this vital service. I applaud the Administration for this major transportation accessibility initiative for the South Coast residents," said Representative Bill Bowles.

"I would like to applaud Governor Patrick and Lt. Governor Murray for signing this agreement with CSXT. Where others have talked about better utilizing these lines, this Administration has gotten the job done. This agreement is a crucial first step and shows the Administration's commitment to bringing commuter rail to the South Coast," said Representative Antonio F. D. Cabral.

"I would like to thank the Patrick-Murray Administration for working diligently with CSXT to come to this agreement. The economic development & transportation improvement benefits will be felt across our state, and it is a critically-important step in maintaining the momentum behind the South Coast Rail project. This is a further example of Governor Patrick's support for Southeastern Massachusetts and his desire to provide efficient, effective, and timely rail service for our region and our state," said Representative Stephen R. Canessa.

"This is an investment that will lead to economic growth and jobs," said Representative Steven D'Amico.

"I am very pleased that Governor Patrick has stood by his commitment and is working hard to bring commuter rail service to Taunton and the South Coast. I look forward to working with him to make that a reality," said Representative James H. Fagan.

"I am appreciative of the hard work of the Patrick-Murray Administration in addressing this issue that has stymied the progress of South Coast Rail for the past decade. The Patrick-Murray Administration deserves a lot of credit for this important step forward in the realization of South Coast Rail," said Representative Robert Koczera.

"South Coast Rail is a crucial project for the region. Having worked toward this for years, I am grateful that the Patrick-Murray Administration has brought us one step closer to making it a reality," said Representative Patricia Haddad.

"South Coast commuter rail is a necessity for the growth of our region as well as an issue of equity. I am most appreciative and I would like to thank the Administration of Governor Deval Patrick and Lt. Governor Timothy Murray for continuing to move the commuter rail project forward. This agreement with CSXT is an important step for us and we have made significant progress with this project under the Patrick-Murray Administration. I will continue to work with this Administration and the rest of the legislative delegation to ensure that a commuter rail link to Fall River becomes a reality," said Representative David B. Sullivan.

"The signing of this agreement is another step in the right direction to finally bring rail to the South Coast. We have gotten more done on this project under the Patrick-Murray Administration in the last few years than we did in the previous ten years under prior state leadership," said Representative John Quinn.

"I applaud Governor Patrick and Lieutenant Governor Murray on living up to their promise. Because of the Administration's strong commitment to South Coast Rail, we are another step closer to making commuter rail service a reality here in Fall River," said Representative Michael J. Rodrigues.

"I am pleased to hear of the Commonwealth's purchase of 30 miles of rail that will connect Taunton to New Bedford and Fall River. This critical acquisition of rail is the next step in ensuring access to commuter rail service for South Coast residents and continued economic development in the region," said Representative William Straus.

"I want to commend the Administration of Governor Deval Patrick and Lieutenant Governor Tim Murray for their commitment to the South Coast Rail project. Their commitment to improve economic development and transportation for Southeastern Massachusetts is second to none," said Mayor William Flanagan.

For additional information on how the Patrick-Murray Administration's agenda has led Massachusetts out of a global recession sooner and stronger than the rest of the nation, visit www.mass.gov/governor/agenda.

MassDOT is the new, unified transportation organization created in 2009 under the historic reform legislation passed by the Legislature and signed into law by Governor Patrick. MassDOT's four divisions are focused on delivering safe and efficient transportation services across the Commonwealth. For transportation news and updates, visit the MassDOT website at www.mass.gov/massdot, the MassDOT blog at www.mass.gov/blog/transportation or follow MassDOT on twitter at www.twitter.com/massdot.
a

Right thread...

http://www.eot.state.ma.us/default.asp?pgid=content/releases/pr112310_whale&sid=release

NEW BEDFORD - Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - The City of New Bedford and the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) announced details of an informal design competition for a new station off Route 18 to be known as Whale�s Tooth. The multi-modal station will be built as part of the South Coast Rail project and may host a new local and intercity bus terminal. The announcement was made in New Bedford City Hall by Mayor Scott W. Lang and Kristina Egan, Director of South Coast Rail, MassDOT.

"As one of the largest stations on the planned South Coast Rail line, Whale's Tooth station is expected to generate millions of dollars in new economic development," said Transportation Secretary Jeffrey B. Mullan, "The Patrick-Murray Administration is happy to work with the city and its residents to create a great place for people and for transportation"

"The City is looking for inspirational designs that are consistent with the history, character, and feel of New Bedford," said Mayor Lang. "We want the station to incorporate green building features and reflect the character of nearby neighborhoods, as well as the city�s plans for the future. We have vibrant art and education communities in the region and want to gather ideas from these talented groups of people."

"In anticipation of the South Coast Rail project, the MBTA is pleased to be working with the community in seeking innovative ideas for the Whale�s Tooth Station," said Rich Davey, General Manager of the MBTA and Transit and Rail Administrator for MassDOT. "We hope residents of the South Coast - students, residents, designers and artists - will bring their visions and ideas to the contest."

In addition to holding a design contest, the City, MassDOT, and the Southeastern Regional Transit Authority have launched an initiative to identify ways to improve local bus service and provide service to the Whale�s Tooth station. Customer surveys are underway to gather information from riders and the larger public. Recommendations will be released next year in the first comprehensive report ever developed for the bus authority.

The contest poster and background information about the station site are posted on the project website, www.mass.gov/southcoastrail. Submissions are due on December 20, 2010, and must include one or two drawings or renderings and a description and rationale for the design.

South Coast Rail will restore passenger rail service from South Station in Boston to the South Coast Cities of Fall River and New Bedford. It will address long-standing transportation inequity, encourage economic development, foster job creation and connect people with affordable housing options, while protecting the natural environment. The project is guided by Sustainable Development principles and includes a regional smart growth corridor plan. Whale�s Tooth would be one of the new stations providing service to Downtown New Bedford.

For transportation news and updates visit MassDOT at our website: www.mass.gov/massdot, blog: www.mass.gov/blog/transportation, or follow MassDOT on twitter at www.twitter.com/massdot

What? I like the name (Whale's Tooth, cool), but it sounds like they're building this "intermodal station" in a place that isn't quite a natural transit junction. Why not aim for an existing hub? And is this in or close to New Bedford's city center? It doesn't sound like it.

Wow, and it's right alongside Herman Melville Boulevard.

It's an easy walk to downtown with a pedestrian bridge (5-10 minutes to many points) and it's right next to the ferry terminals (cuttyhunk and MV) at state pier. I wish it were a LITTLE closer, but it's not bad at all.

Isn't there an old station that's even more central? Why are they building tracks and a station merely adjacent to downtown NB now? (I'm sure this is buried in the thread somewhere, but too lazy to look.)

The tracks are there and they're currently used by freight rail. In fact, the bridges in town were all upgraded recently as part of stimulus funding. They're in fine shape. There were a number of stops in town. The central station is long gone. It was a nice old structure too (I think there's a photo on one of the links on this page). Another cool one is right near where 195 meets 18 and is now apartments and office space (another nice older building).

From what I've seen, the platform in the current proposal is further from downtown than it should be. They should flip flop it so that the garage/lot is on the opposite side (to the North) of where it currently is and the station and building above it are on the opposite side (to the South) of where they currently are. That would get it about as close to downtown as possible. We're still only talking a 300-400 foot difference, but on a cold, windy day, that's all the difference in the world to a pedestrian.

Frankly, I don't know where else you'd put it. Not without incredible increases in the budget and an engineering nightmare. The portion of downtown closest to this is the Whaling District. There's no way you could run rail through a national historic park to get to the geographic center of the city.

If I had my way, they would run the line a few hundred yards further and have a singular intermodal facility right where the state pier is. I'm talking one building where you can get off the platform and walk to your ferry or bus line without stepping outdoors. Given the fact that the State Pier is expanding as an international shipping center, the chances of that happening are about as likely as Jeter signing with the Sox. Still, this makes the most sense to me.

Next stop, Whales Tooth, cool. As for the design how about a train going into the mouth of a whale. That be pretty hard core Pinochio-esk. And as far as the tracks go. Will the tracks go down to the south coast and then split, one going to Fall River and the other going to New Bedford (like a T), or is one city first and then the next in a linear way?

^They'll split in Taunton where both Fall River and New Bedford will have spurs (Freetown gets a stop too).

Taunton's really going to benefit a LOT from this. By rail, it's really not a long ride from Boston (under an hour anyway) and it'll have double the frequency that Fall River and New Bedford do seeing as the spurs split off AFTER the Taunton stop. Taunton has a walkable, attractive city center that will really get a boost from having a station there. It's a borderline exurb (minus the wealth) as it is now, having frequent trains will help quite a bit.

Next stop, Whales Tooth, cool. As for the design how about a train going into the mouth of a whale. That be pretty hard core Pinochio-esk. And as far as the tracks go. Will the tracks go down to the south coast and then split, one going to Fall River and the other going to New Bedford (like a T), or is one city first and then the next in a linear way?

I like this line of thought! How about an inter-modal facility that incorporates ferry dockage? The ferries could enter the whale's mouth, and the train could run on a viaduct above. Something like this:

63zx8.jpg

Of course, the real thing already exists at Disneyland. That circus train was always one of my favorite Disney attractions and I loved watching the boats disappear into the whale's mouth.

Thanks for the answer. One more question in that line. Does New Bedford and Fall River have a direct rail connection?

^ No, they won't. You'd have to go north to Taunton and switch to a southbound train on the other branch. Annoying, but I don't think there's enough potential riders between the two to justify a direct connection as well.

Thanks for the answer. One more question in that line. Does New Bedford and Fall River have a direct rail connection?

CZSZ got it. They don't. However, the bus system, SRTA, connects the two fairly well. They're also working on building a bike trail to connect the two (will connect through Dartmouth and Westport). It's not too difficult to get from one to the other without a car.

It only makes sense to connect Fall River to New Bedford by rail if Providence is somehow involved (Maybe a Providence- Cape Cod connection along the South Coast including both cities). Still, One step at a time. The current proposal for South Coast Rail still has a ways to go.

As far as designs go, the Whale's mouth is a great idea. It's not as if the city has abused the whaling heritage enough already. I say tie in the modern with the old. How about the train enters through a whale's mouth and the ferry enters through the skeleton of a fish (or a scallop shell, more appropriately)? Maybe a nod to San Diego... If the trains enter through the mouth, the buses can enter through the whale's vagina. Seriously though... 99% of the designs submitted will play off the whaling theme somehow.

From the MBTA
WINNERS OF NEW BEDFORD STATION DESIGN COMPETITION ANNOUNCED

Start Date: 2/9/2011
Email: Adam.Hurtubise@state.ma.us

New Bedford ? The City of New Bedford and the Massachusetts Department of Transportation today announced the winners of a contest to provide design ideas for the proposed Whale?s Tooth Intermodal Station and opened a display of the entries at the New Bedford Whaling Museum. Mayor Scott W. Lang and South Coast Rail Director Kristina Egan presented the awards on behalf of a panel of judges.

As part of the South Coast Rail project, MassDOT and the MBTA are partnering with communities that will host new rail stations to plan the area and design the rail facilities to catalyze economic development while enhancing community character. New Bedford will host two stations, one at Whale?s Tooth and one at King?s Highway.

"As one of the largest stations on the planned South Coast Rail line, Whale's Tooth station is expected to generate millions of dollars in new economic development,? said Transportation Secretary Jeffrey B. Mullan, ?The Patrick-Murray Administration is happy to work with the city and its residents to create a great place for people and for transportation.?

?The MBTA is seeking innovative ideas for the Whale?s Tooth Station,? said Rich Davey, General Manager of the MBTA and Transit and Rail Administrator for MassDOT. ?The residents of the South Coast ? students, residents, and designers ? brought many creative ideas to the contest.?

?The City is looking for inspirational designs that are consistent with the history, character, and feel of New Bedford,? said Mayor Lang. ?We want the station to incorporate green building features and reflect the character of nearby neighborhoods, as well as the city?s plans for the future. We have vibrant art and education communities in the region and want to gather ideas from these talented groups of people.?

The committee of judges included Mayor Lang, Ms. Egan, Jill Maclean and Anne Louro from the City of New Bedford, and Edgar Adams, Roger Williams University. Two entries received awards for Best Overall Design Response. They were created by:

Students from the Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational Technical High School, Jennifer Benevides, Brandon Correia, Michael Cruz, Patrick Grime, and Catarina Pedro:
The judges commented that: ?The design reflects New Bedford?s historic mill buildings and the new station is carefully oriented to use solar energy to heat and daylight the building.?
Damon May, AIA: In Mr. May?s words, his design ??captures the historic soul of free enterprising New Bedford, it builds a strong basis for reflecting and integrating with the city's complex architectural fabric, and it provides a tried and true form for meeting the energy efficient design mandate.?
The judges awarded Honorable Mention for the following creative design features:

Iconic Treatment of New Bedford?s Character: Anthi Frangiadis, Archit8 Studio.
Exploration of Circulation and Access: Robert Bichel and David Fredette, City of New Bedford Department of Public of Infrastructure
Incorporation of Local Art and History: James Carney
Green Design: Edwin Sargent, AIA
Suspension Bridge: Jenna Storey, Wentworth Institute of Technology
Canopy Garden: Mark Warren
Mayor Lang said the judges were impressed with the thoughtfulness and creativity displayed in all of the submissions. Ms. Egan said that MassDOT is considering elements of these concepts as it advances the South Coast Rail project toward design.

South Coast Rail will restore passenger rail service from South Station in Boston to the South Coast. It will address a long-standing transportation inequity, while encouraging economic development, fostering job-creation and connecting people with affordable housing options, while protecting the natural environment. The project is guided by Sustainable Development principles and includes a regional smart growth corridor plan. More information on the project is available at www.mass.gov/southcoastrail.

I saw this on the MBTA website back on the 9th and was disappointed they didn't include ANY images or descriptions of what was proposed. It was a design competition, show us what was designed!

Anywho, this extension is something we've all been longing for years. As an ex-Freetown resident, it wasn't too bad driving to Middleboro/Lakeville to catch the CR, but the use from the surrounding towns is putting a LOT of load on the station itself. There's nowhere near enough parking there to accommodate the passenger volumes that use the station. The stops in Taunton, Fall River, Freetown, and New Bedford will ease the traffic nightmares of Middleboro/Lakeville specifically and really increase convenience for so many on the Southcoast. It's a beautiful place to live and its under-served by the CR.

Whale's Tooth has enough parking planned to cover by its lonesome half the riders that are projected to board on EITHER branch south of Taunton. That's stupifyingly wasteful. Like all the bus berths and bicycle storage are going to get used either with just a handful of boardings per day. Ah, to be a consultant with no oversight to curb billable hours! They should've started VERY small with the basic platform, drop-off area, and small parking facility and kept the land in-hand to expand. That's exactly how Middleboro grew...they waited until it started getting tapped out before they doubled the size of the parking lot and started talking TOD on the land.

The line's untenable south of Taunton. Like 80% of the riders would board there and points north. People in Fall River and New Bedford commute east/west on choked I-195, not north/south on the relatively empty stretches of 24 and 140 south of where they interchange. They've only got enough money to mostly single-track with a few passing sidings like the Middleboro line for the initial build. Especially the part through the swamp in Easton/Raynham where clearing the initial EIS meant being more conservative (at least for first several years of service) about number of tracks. To support both terminal cities they'd have to run more limited headways on the Stoughton mainline to fit in 2 branches' worth of varying schedules and trip times, capping its max capacity on the stretch 80% of the riders come from. It's not gonna work well until they can add double track most of the way.

This is a great extension idea for the I-495 belt because 24's a nightmare from Brockton/Randolph north and has to cram into the same unexpandable Braintree split to get to Boston. 495 to 140 and the non-expressway stretch of 140 are also terrible. Economically, the 24 corridor is a big-box sprawl wasteland that needs to get reined in with some sensible suburban planning around transit before it collapses in a heap. It's one of the longest extended stretches of "pure stupid" development in eastern Mass. Taunton Line...that makes a lot of sense on the merits, and within the commuter rail's mission statement of serving primarily the 495 belt.

What I don't understand is why they're trying to build this all in one fell swoop. The part to Taunton is the most important one because it's where all the initial ridership is, and it's where restoring that large abandoned gap in the Stoughton line adds the most future southside capacity. That SHOULD be the most expensive part, but these ridiculous station overdesigns on the already active FR/NB branch tracks are where the bloat's pushing the project to $2 billion. They are soon going to exceed the cost of the other half pretty soon, and that's utterly senseless logic.

Split it into two damn phases. Go to Taunton, set up some buses to the South Coast, and tell them the only way they can fund the rest of it is to do one phase at a time and try to pre-grow some ridership driving up to the end of the line. I literally think those cities will see trains SOONER with firm commitment to Phase I and "we'll shoot for funding, but no promises" conditional commitment to Phase II rather than not being able to swallow any of it and having to give up all of it.

Like all the bus berths and bicycle storage are going to get used either with just a handful of boardings per day. Ah, to be a consultant with no oversight to curb billable hours!

Economically, the 24 corridor is a big-box sprawl wasteland that needs to get reined in with some sensible suburban planning around transit before it collapses in a heap. It's one of the longest extended stretches of "pure stupid" development in eastern Mass.

Are you new here? I like you. Post more.

One quibble:

Split it into two damn phases. Go to Taunton, set up some buses to the South Coast, and tell them the only way they can fund the rest of it is to do one phase at a time and try to pre-grow some ridership driving up to the end of the line. I literally think those cities will see trains SOONER with firm commitment to Phase I and "we'll shoot for funding, but no promises" conditional commitment to Phase II rather than not being able to swallow any of it and having to give up all of it.

I assume that, beyond Taunton, most traffic would come from the South Coast cities themselves, so it doesn't make much sense, from the POV of "selling" the line, to gradually extend to stations that won't have enough traffic, by themselves, to justify the separate branches. Better to run the trains express to the coast at first and then fill in the stations later.

Back