Fall River/New Bedford Commuter Rail (South Coast Rail)

Re: Fall River/New Bedford Commuter Rail

MBTA commuter trains already pass through densely settled areas of Somerville, Cambridge, Belmont, Waltham, Medford, Winchester, Chelsea, Revere, Lynn, Salem, Gloucester, Malden, Melrose, Haverhill, Wellesley, Natick, Framingham, Roslindale, West Roxbury ... need we go on?

Sorry I'm a little late on this comment, but exactly do you mean? We already have enough trains running through town/city centers, so stop already?

I'll wait for you to respond so I can give an appropriate answer...

^Nor would I. Which is part of the reason that If bus lanes are put anywhere, it should be on the highways (and secondary highways such as 1-A) within the 128 belt and along Massachusetts Bay. It would make that Haymarket to Marblehead route a little more bearable, along with plenty of others.

Dattco's buses are reasonably comfortable as are the buses to Fall River and Taunton. if the MBTA is going to add bus service to the South Coast (as an alternative to the CR or in addition to it), they shouldn't even consider adding anything but coaches to the route. There's no way plastic seats can compete with the comfort of a coach bus on a 1 hour commute. It would be an incredible waste.

Sorry I'm a little late on this comment, but exactly do you mean? We already have enough trains running through town/city centers, so stop already?

I'm baffled as to how my comment could possibly be interpreted that way. Of course train stations belong in town and city centers.

The reason I dislike riding the Marblehead route isn't because of congestion, but because standard T buses are uncomfortable as hell travelling at highway speeds, especially for long periods of time.

If they do decide on expanding commuter rail to Fall River and New Bedford I sure hope they choose the Stoughton extension which would run through Easton, Raynham, Taunton continuing south into NB and FR. The track beds are already in place and the intermediate Taunton/Raynham area would benefit from having commuter rain. Connecting through Middleboro would be redundant. Service the intermediate towns that currently have no service.

Sorry for the confusion. I guess the way you used "trains already pass through" and "need we go on" really through me off.

Hey, i was surprised myself ;)

If they do decide on expanding commuter rail to Fall River and New Bedford I sure hope they choose the Stoughton extension which would run through Easton, Raynham, Taunton continuing south into NB and FR. The track beds are already in place and the intermediate Taunton/Raynham area would benefit from having commuter rain. Connecting through Middleboro would be redundant. Service the intermediate towns that currently have no service.

I agree. They should make use of the stubby Stoughton branch and reach out to Taunton especially. I did a quick Google satellite view of the proposed route and it seems to be pretty vacant, at least after Stoughton. I bet South Shore NIMBY's are chomping at the bit, ready to lash out at whatever route selected. Can't wait.

The reason I dislike riding the Marblehead route isn't because of congestion, but because standard T buses are uncomfortable as hell travelling at highway speeds, especially for long periods of time.

When I was in paris, visiting a friend in the suburbs, we left the city at 3am, after the commuter rail (RER) stopped running. Paris offers bus service every 30 mins-1 hour along the commuter rail routes, and they used super-modern coach style buses with mood lighting and everything.

The point being, for long distance bus routes, the MBTA could also purchase coach buses, perhaps even two-floor models.

Thats also a good way to get service to places like springfield.

I agree. They should make use of the stubby Stoughton branch and reach out to Taunton especially. I did a quick Google satellite view of the proposed route and it seems to be pretty vacant, at least after Stoughton. I bet South Shore NIMBY's are chomping at the bit, ready to lash out at whatever route selected. Can't wait.

Actually, the vast majority of the South Shore wants this particular option (as it makes the most sense) and I think they are leaning this direction for potential routes. As Ron said, a Middleborough extension would be redundant (and one hell of a long connection to Fall River) and the Attleboro option is the same, except it's super far to New Bedford.

The biggest problem with the Stoughton opposition is the residents near the Hockomock Swamp in Easton. Their argument is that the Trains will be too noisy and they'll pollute the swamp (which Routes 24 and 138, along with others, run through anway). The swamp, quite frankly is already a dump. The train would do no worse than the state roads already running through. It's just a simple case of a few putting their wants in front of the needs of the many.

Stoughton is without a doubt the best solution because it will add service to the largest unserved population and it's the most direct (paralleling route 24) route. Even the small towns of Berkley and Freetown are supportive of the Commuter Rail as they feel that the South Coast has been ignored by the state in terms of transit infrastructure and service. If it weren't for the Easton opposition, I doubt they would spend too much time worrying about alternative routes. But I do think that the CR, especially the Stoughton extension, will be well received by the majority of the population. If the state's going to foot the bill, the rail will happen with minimal opposition (from the South Shore and South Coast anyway).

Hi I am new to this forum. A co-worker of mine reads this everyday.. anywho. The people in Easton are mad for a few reasons one is that they were told when they built their houses that there is no way the train tracks will run again they have been dormant for 40+ years. Also the property tax in Easton is fairly high with property values going up at a steady incline. I am sure the people in Easton do not want a train to disrupt their everyday lives and bring down their property value with the train running through the town. I should know I live in Easton.

Ken

I hear this argument about property values going down all the time and I really don't buy it. With gas prices at $4 and rising, any town with a train station in it will only become more sought after places to live. I think complaining about a rail line that will bring economic development (to those who want it) and cheaper, easier, commutes, just seems very short sighted.

I take the commuter rail daily from Canton Junction the price is 163 monthly. How many people from fall river or new bedford could honestly afford that price for a commuter rail pass which will prob be more like 260 as it is in worcester?

If you buy property adjacent to a rail right-of-way (dormant or in use) you've got nothing to complain about.

Given current and future gas prices taking the CR from Fall River or New Bedford would be a bargin.

Commuter rail def raises property values in certain towns and cities. I think it might hurt a FEW here and there depending on the logistics and makeup. Obviously houses along the line are going to lose value.

Anyone seen the greenbush line just north of Hingham center? I don't like Hingham, but man I feel bad for those people. They had beautiful OLD homes that sit in some cases 15-20 feet from the tracks. One stretch in particuliar all the houses are in the historical society/commission whatever it is and they all have those white plaques with the year on them... 1697, 1734, 1786, 1803 etc etc. I feel for those people I can't believe those old homes dont rattle to the ground.

Commuter rail runs through many of the most expensive towns in Greater Boston with seemingly little impact on home values. In the eyes of some home buyers a rail line that directly abuts a property may be viewed unfavorably, but for the other 99.9% of housing in the town, not directly adjacent to the rail line, I would guess most home buyers would view improved access and transportation options as an asset.

I am sure the people in Easton do not want a train to disrupt their everyday lives and bring down their property value with the train running through the town. I should know I live in Easton.

Jeez, you'd think Easton was some hoity-toidy town the way some of the residents behave when, in fact, it's a suburb of Brockton! Quit whining about the trains. Commuter rail is a good thing and I have a feeling that the days of a tiny minority blocking the good of the greater majority (especially when it concerns energy conservation) are about over....along with the overboard cost of mitigation that Hingham and Situate got. That goes for the Cape residents as well! I sure hope that Cape Wind get's approval to build their windfarm!

Anyone seen the greenbush line just north of Hingham center? I don't like Hingham, but man I feel bad for those people. They had beautiful OLD homes that sit in some cases 15-20 feet from the tracks. One stretch in particuliar all the houses are in the historical society/commission whatever it is and they all have those white plaques with the year on them... 1697, 1734, 1786, 1803 etc etc. I feel for those people I can't believe those old homes dont rattle to the ground.
Those houses survived for the many years before rail left Hingham, and I'm sure they'll continue to persevere now that it's back.

Those houses survived decades of much louder, vibrating, and polluting steam engines without incident. I seriously doubt the modern freight engines, running on low sulfur diesel, are going to be any more disruptive to the houses than their steam powered ancestors.

Back