Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

044-1_zps396d0fe8.jpg
043-1_zps8b17d6f1.jpg
040-1_zps2ff12d6c.jpg

kind of starting to look like Longwood-by-the-Sea from that angle IMO

8585104402_891d46076d_b.jpg

This awesome pic by GMACK24 shows our latest skyline view from the hahbah. Note the Vertex buildings.

I know it's mostly due to them being closer in the shot, but my god they look short and wide.

I know it's mostly due to them being closer in the shot, but my god they look short and wide.

Lab buildings are wide. They have lots of internal research spaces that are specialized and do not want to be on the exterior. There is tons of services and mechanical spaces in the interior.

As for height. That was limited by the FAA engine out glidepath.

That does not mean they should not have been better designed.

cca

Waterfront labs are proven to be inherently more economically and technologically productive than their staid landlocked counterparts, an undisputed fact which clearly justifies the land use decisions which have been made for Fan Pier. After all, it's not like any other cities have done anything better with their waterfronts.

The buildings were always going to be wide regardless of the final use. The footprint matches the original master plan.

I've done some narrow lab buildings, and typically the research space is along the exterior. There will be internal rooms without external walls like microscopy rooms, sark rooms, and NMR's, but general research space will typically benefit from natural daylight these days.

In that last photo it looks like someone used photoshop to make the seaport buildings bigger. It ruins the skyline.

In that last photo it looks like someone used photoshop to make the seaport buildings bigger. It ruins the skyline.

No, we just have to take the pictures from a different angle. If you go further out and North, you get a good view of both the financial district skyline and the emerging seaport skyline as an integrated whole, and it actually looks quite good. I've seen this from the Spectacle Island ferry, I just haven't seen any good pictures of it so far.

What is the difference between Fan Pier and the Innovation District? I see two threads and what looks like to me to be that same buildings in both - or am I mistaken?

I think the Innovation District encompasses much of South Boston, including Fort Point, BCEC, Seaport, and, yes, Fan Pier. Fan Pier is literally just this one pier that has the courthouse and Vertex's buildings on it. The reason for the overlap is that many of the new buildings in the Seaport are currently just on Fan Pier.

^^ Well give the seaport/innovation district a little more credit than that. We've got new buildings under construction at Pier 4, Waterside Place, A Street Rear, and Seaport Square too... not "just on Fan Pier."

There is also a billboard up advertising "22 Liberty Drive". It is right by the barking crab and sleeper street, courthouse side. Absolutely can't miss it if you are driving into area over Seaport Boulevard Bridge.

Does anyone have any detail on that first condo project? Other than the billboard on Seaport Boulevard? Was hoping they would have broken ground on that and the Goodwin Proctor/Hotel building going in front (or is it behind) the ICA...

...I did see in Boston.com that the relevant planning board signed off on the public garden/park area that is going between the condo project and the water.

Back