Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

I'm always really impressed that you can even see these buildings on the horizon, behind hills and whatnot.

today from logan
026-21.jpg

Looks like the park right next to it is almost done. Anyone been out there recently?

I do not like the look of that building, except for the glass portions. And I think it'll look even worse once Russia Wharf (or is it Atlantic Wharf?) is finished.

http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2009/09/21/daily12.html

"'This is great news for Boston,' said Menino in prepared written statement. 'This lease signing illustrates the private sector?s confidence in Fan Pier and Boston.'"

Let's try to be honest here. This is bad news for Boston and bad news for Fan Pier.

A tenant leaving one building to downgrade and pay less rent in a different building is not "good news for Boston" - it is bad news for the property taxes and real estate values in the entire city.

It is further evidence of the bungled development process in the Seaport District, and Menino's legacy of parking lots and stumps.

If you give a tenant enough free rent, lots of expensive perks, tons of build-out $$, and then slash the asking rent, the project is "bad news" not "good news".

Let's try to be honest here. This is bad news for Boston and bad news for Fan Pier.

A tenant leaving one building to downgrade and pay less rent in a different building is not "good news for Boston" - it is bad news for the property taxes and real estate values in the entire city.

Anyone know if Fish & Co is growing or shrinking their office space with this move?

When they shed clients because of the inconvenience / aesthetic displeasure / lack of nice things to treat clients to in the Seaport, they'll definitely be shrinking their office space.

(Actually, no law firm is growing office space in this economy. They're all using it as an excuse to finally get rid of typists and other superfluous staff that have managed to hang on in the places since before the computing revolution.)

CZSZ is right. I worked on a project in Atlanta and all the new buildings going up in Midtown were stealing law firms from Downtown as their anchor tenants. The law firms were typically moving to smaller, nicer space (beyond typists/production people, you can also pare down your law libraries which take up a ton of space in some firms).

Fan Pier builder thinks temporary
Boston Business Journal - by Michelle Hillman

The next stage of Fan Pier likely will be a temporary one.

Fan Pier developer Joseph Fallon has petitioned a state agency to allow him to erect two temporary buildings while he waits to build out the 3 million-square-foot-project in earnest.

Fallon is asking the Department of Environmental Protection to let him build two structures similar to modular facilities that would house retail, restaurants, public restrooms and a water transportation ticketing office. The buildings would be between 22,000 square feet and 45,000 square feet and would sit on the water?s edge in the place of two permanent buildings slated for parcels overlooking a marina. The parcels are approved for residential, hotel or office uses.

The entire 21-acre site is approved for eight buildings including office, research, residential, retail and hotel space.

So basically a semi-permanent PUMA city?

Could be OK.

...or could suck.

Sounds like a way for a developer to make a quick buck. This being Boston, I'm sure it'll be approved.

Maybe not such bad news. The novelty of these structures (like Puma City) could attract needed attention and people to the area. I'd rather have a busy Quonset Hut Village than a desolate parking lot.

Please, please PLEASE let something crazily inventive like this flourish there. The "temporary" line is the perfect excuse to ignore whiny, self-annointed "custodians" of the neighborhood who might object. And would anyone flock to the planned retail if it were in some standard corrugated shack?

Back