Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

My camera had a hard time doing a long exposure because the lights change so frequently.
But it was able to capture the green : )

4202224550_f43bb2a089.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmack24/4202224550/

If this building becomes a destination-attraction because of its regular light shows - or more to the point makes the space outside the building a destination - I would overlook a lot of this building's clear deficiencies.

My one question is that in the final build-out, after the temporary Louis Boston is dismantled and replaced by a high-rise, won't this building be more hidden and backgrounded? Why the big investment in LED lights in that case?

Pay no attention to the cheap precast panels, poorly configured site plan and squat dimensions . . . Behold! Blinking lights!!!

If this building becomes a destination-attraction because of its regular light shows - or more to the point makes the space outside the building a destination - I would overlook a lot of this building's clear deficiencies.

My one question is that in the final build-out, after the temporary Louis Boston is dismantled and replaced by a high-rise, won't this building be more hidden and backgrounded? Why the big investment in LED lights in that case?

Maybe we can expect similar treatment for the entire development then.

All other buildings on the mega site are either as tall or shorter than this one. I think only the office building to the west of it will be the only one of equal height. The residencial portions and the buildings closer to the water all appear to be somewhat shorter. Northern Ave. is pretty wide here, and if the set-backs on the opposite side are similar I don't see this guy hiding too much in the new build-out. From what I recall of the Seaport Square proposals, the buildings nearby were not very tall so as to block this out. It's also, next to a 2 acre park.

We'll see. Right now the LED's are something to look at. I've been working a lot of nightslately, so they occupy my little brain after 18 hours on the job.

After seeing it in person it isn't as bad as I had feared. Considering that this building was meant to be obscured by others I'd say it works pretty well. Is it perfect? No, it is too similar to the Radison but given how the area is supposed to grow I think it will fair better.

4225292083_d7eef75967.jpg

4225292443_5d36bb4d2e.jpg

4226061642_ba0dfdc54c.jpg

4225293723_f80b07fc91.jpg

4226062562_4cc05e19c7.jpg

4226063356_718c178466.jpg

4226063864_a55ec7a14b.jpg

4226064826_501b22fbb8.jpg

4226064258_9387578576.jpg

Louis Boston

4225291739_705da50474_o.jpg

4226061008_5947b1e779_o.jpg

I must have missed something...where is that Louis Boston going up? Is it on the opposite side of the park?

I believe it is in front of the new building. Closer to the water. Where Puma city was.

Ohhh, ok. I knew Louis was moving in...I just assumed it was going in the base of the other building.

"Marina Park Drive" - three words that should have never been used together in Boston, or even Greater Boston outside of, perhaps, Marina Bay. "Marina Park..." what is this, Houston? Aren't there any more Kennedys we could have named streets after?

And "drive", why DRIVE?! What if I want to WALK to this damn little shitpark? What inspired these people? The Commonwealth Thruway? Beacon Drive? Hanover Expressway?

Do they just lack the balls/estrogen to give streets actual names that don't conjure images of ten lanes and plentiful parking?

Is the name intended to evoke Marina City in Chicago (a famous landmark set of buildings)?

L.A., San Francisco, San Diego, Vancouver, etc, etc...

"Marina Park Drive" - three words that should have never been used together in Boston, or even Greater Boston outside of, perhaps, Marina Bay. "Marina Park..." what is this, Houston? Aren't there any more Kennedys we could have named streets after?

And "drive", why DRIVE?! What if I want to WALK to this damn little shitpark? What inspired these people? The Commonwealth Thruway? Beacon Drive? Hanover Expressway?

Do they just lack the balls/estrogen to give streets actual names that don't conjure images of ten lanes and plentiful parking?

Um....

Marina. There is a marina planned for the location, which will be accessed by Marina Park Drive.

Park. There is a park at the location, which will be accessed by marina Park Drive.

Drive. Street, Road, whatever. Who cares? Better than terrace

I agree, Jass, that it sounds like a silly issue, and in itself I agree with your "whatever. Who cares?" approach. But you have to admit that it's emblematic of the generic cookie-cutter anywhere-USA stub developments around Fan Pier. Street names are important because they make a long-lasting imprint on a city's geography. No street named "Marina Park Drive" will have an easy time evolving into a non-generic place.

"Terrace" would have been better, actually. It conjures a rowhouse street in London. "Drive" can mean nothing but a place you take your car down.

Rest assured street names change more easily than the ugly architecture that abuts them, otherwise we'd be shopping in the Cornhill pedestrian mall and asking which Boylston Street did you mean, the one in Boston or the one in Cambridge?

Back