Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

50 Northern Avenue looks like a massing model for the Center for Life Sciences. 11 Fan Pier Boulevard looks like a tubby, misshapen Saltonstall Building.

Please pass the NoDoz...

Beton -- These are different architects from different firms
http://www.innovationdistrict.org/2011/06/23/city-celebrates-vertex-groundbreaking-at-fan-pier/

50 Northern Avenue is designed by Tsoi/Kobus Associates of Cambridge, MA. The contemporary building design is comprised of a floor to ceiling glass exterior with light blue glass and a full height sloped design feature along Northern Avenue, to offer panoramic views of the waterfront and surrounding Boston skyline.

11 Fan Pier Boulevard is designed by Elkus/Manfredi Architects of Boston, the same firm responsible for designing Fan Pier’s first office building, ONE Marina Park Drive. This building design is comprised of floor to ceiling glass set into a metal framework pattern with crisp green glass. A key design feature of this building is a curved building design on the east face of the structure overlooking a seventh floor outdoor terrace, as well as an all-glass feature at the corners of the building facing the city.

Counting the One Marina Park Drive, the TSO Building is in a Manfredi Sandwich

Ghastly!

It's like they took the worst parts of the worst buildings in Boston and mashed them down into two stumps.

Nothing says real estate dud like having to pay a company $72M to move into your building. (In successful real estate developments, the tenant actually pays the landlord).

Very, very offended that my taxpayer money was used to disgrace the city with these horrid stumps. Even more offended that the money goes to line the pockets of a wealthy old development friend of Mayor Menino. MBTA cuts? Who cares! Pass me another free steak at Strega! The rich get richer.

One Marina Park Drive already looks like a 1970s tear-down. Good job. Way to have no pride at all in your business or your city.

At least the truly despicable and embarrassing Park Lane monstrosity is hidden away where people don't have to look at it too often.

Some day, urban planners will study Fallon Blight Syndrome when asked why the Seaport District, even 100 years from now, never was successful.

(Hello again! I'm as grumpy as ever - worse so after losing an hour of sleep so some midwestern corn farmers can jack off an hour early)

I actually kinda like the 50 northern ave one ( the one with the facade that leans back)

Ghastly!

It's like they took the worst parts of the worst buildings in Boston and mashed them down into two stumps.

Nothing says real estate dud like having to pay a company $72M to move into your building. (In successful real estate developments, the tenant actually pays the landlord).

Very, very offended that my taxpayer money was used to disgrace the city with these horrid stumps. Even more offended that the money goes to line the pockets of a wealthy old development friend of Mayor Menino. MBTA cuts? Who cares! Pass me another free steak at Strega! The rich get richer.

One Marina Park Drive already looks like a 1970s tear-down. Good job. Way to have no pride at all in your business or your city.

At least the truly despicable and embarrassing Park Lane monstrosity is hidden away where people don't have to look at it too often.

Some day, urban planners will study Fallon Blight Syndrome when asked why the Seaport District, even 100 years from now, never was successful.

(Hello again! I'm as grumpy as ever - worse so after losing an hour of sleep so some midwestern corn farmers can jack off an hour early)

If these buildings were built for Kendall Square fine..........But the SEAPORT DISTRICT? The last great destination spot for development for the city..... NO VISION or PLANNING by the BRA or city officials just a complete swindle job by our hacks

I don't think it looks too bad but clearly this part of the city is going to be our SOMA

here guys. i did a little searching and these are the most recent/ best renderings of both of the buildings i could find.

found at http://www.pharmaceutical-technolog...ls-campus/vertex-pharmaceuticals-campus3.html

3-rendering.jpg

50 Northern Avenue building designed by Tsoi/Kobus & Associates

2-rendering.jpg

11 Fan Pier Boulevard designed by Elkus Manfredi Architects

1-rendering.jpg

both buildings together.

I noticed that the facade at Eleven Fan Pier Blvd. on the courthouse side seems to be completely different from the rest of the building. This is weird because that side will be the most seen being that it views downtown and towers over the courthouse. I'm wondering why they give renderings from this view when in a few years time it will covered by the other Marina Park Dr. building and the fan pier residences.

Beton -- These are different architects from different firms

So should I be excited?

They're plenty visible from Jeffries Point in East Boston. Methunion Manor for the rich. Probably worse -- at least Methunion Manor is brick...

(Hello again! I'm as grumpy as ever - worse so after losing an hour of sleep...)

Welcome back! I actually thought of you the other night -- my lovely assistant and I dined at FuGaKu in Pelham Hall.

They're plenty visible from Jeffries Point in East Boston. Methunion Manor for the rich. Probably worse -- at least Methunion Manor is brick

Two different color bricks. The builder promised to paint the incorrect bricks to match on a regular basis, you can see how that's working out. Yet another example of a building making a killing building subsidized housing.

I don't think it looks too bad but clearly this part of the city is going to be our SOMA

They're nothing alike. Classic SoMa is warehouses (now appropriated by techies), leather shops, rehab centers, and homeless shelters.

So I assume you're talking about the area around 4th and King and the ballpark. Shitty soulless architecture aside, the difference between that SoMa and the Seaport? People actually live in the former.

From Sunday

Looks like 2 sets of cranes. Are they building both of these buildings at the same time?
EDIT: Yes, they are. I saw Seamus' pictures on the previous page.

IMG_4448.jpg

IMG_4480.jpg

Last edited:
From Sunday

Looks like 2 sets of cranes. Are they building both of these buildings at the same time?

IMG_4480.jpg

DZ -- excellent pix -- including Hospital Ship in Boston Ship Repair dry dock in background
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11368020@N03/6939820409/
http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?...8:bostonshiprepair08january2012j01&Itemid=107

Boston Ship Repair to repair Navy hospital ship
Boston Ship Repair, L.L.C., Boston, Mass., a unit of Northeast Ship Repair, was recently awarded a $9.22-million, firm-fixed-price contract for a 60-day regular overhaul/dry-docking of Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Comfort.
Northeast Ship Repair President Edward Snyder told Marine Log the contract will employ between 100 to 150 workers during the contract period. Under the contract Boston Ship Repair will dry-dock the ship and perform tank preservation, freeboard preservation and underwater hull painting. It will also upgrade the ship's switchboard, repair its sea valves and overhaul its pumps.

How the hell did that second one get so big? I didnt even know they were building a second one.

Back