Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

another drive around the block!
014-11.jpg
023-5.jpg

Yea that building is looking really nice! I went to the ICA last Sunday and it looked good.

Eh...next Fan Pier building better have more glass and steel.

Is the tractor beam at the courthouse almost functioning? Or does it have the same issue as the fountains?

It's really too bad, I like how it looks from the water, but from the street it's pathetic.

When I look at the picture above, I actually have hope that the final, built out Fan Pier project will look good. There is no denying that this first building is less than stellar architecture, but I'm going to give Fallon the benefit of the doubt in that he must have planned it like this because he knew that it would be surrounded on three sides by other buildings. That is why the design has one (I think good looking) glass curtain while the other sides are pre-cast. So, I'll wait until 2020, or whenever the entire complex is built to make my judgement.

Call me crazy, but something in that last photo reminds me of the Las Vegas strip. Maybe the spacing, heights and open space around the buildings.

You may be carzy, but not for that observation. Seems pretty spot on.

Same spacing, similar heights, all in a straight line...... looks like a little Vegas Strip.

thats the best shot of seen of this building so far.

It looks fantastic from that view.

Mullions!

fanpier6182009-1.jpg

fanpier6182009-2.jpg

Temporary construction office:

fanpier6182009-3.jpg

Wall O' Glass lobby with side entrance (Please let there be some retail space to the left. Or else we'll really be well on our way to another Kendall Square.)

fanpier6182009-4.jpg

Monumentalism:

fanpier6182009-5.jpg

Shaping up:

fanpier6182009-7.jpg

Side detail:

fanpier6182009-8.jpg

fanpier6182009-10.jpg

fanpier6182009-11.jpg

fanpier6182009-12.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

Nearby:
It appears that the sidewalk is being...narrowed!?!
IMG_1465.jpg

Pleanty of room for a protected bike lane
And trees
IMG_1482.jpg

It's ugly but it isn't that bad. The real problem is that it sticks out like a soar thumb :p This is actually the type of building design that I advocate for, the "background building" if you will, the building that fits in nicely and doesn't try to stand out loudly. Unfortunately it is standing out.

Seaport Blvd on the other hand is a real loser. Did they pick that up used from Houston or something? You could easily fit a trees, dedicated bike lanes, and possibly a bus lane on that thing. The sad part is they will probably only think of doing this AFTER the street is developed (in 2050 probably).

Boston is really behind in street design (#newblood)

Street design in Boston (and the US in general) is extraordinarily far behind, principally because streets are conceived of as the domain of cars, not public realm. Big problem.

My guess is that the city assumed they would force the developers to add the trees when the parcels are developed, but since nothing has been built we have no trees, and hence an urban wasteland.

For the city not to go down there with a bucket of paint to create a bikelane is borderline idiocy, especially given Mumbles' penchant for touting bicycling.

As the board's resident and lonely cheerleader for automobiles, I had to laugh at the comment "The street was designed for cars, not the public realm"!

I get what you're saying, and sure, a painted line with some bicycle icons would have been nice, but this area is attractive to businesses because they can drive right in from the suburbs and park their cars at their building without any hassles. The streets are wide and broad and make for easy navigating for walkers, bikers and cars - like Houston! The Financial District really wasn't laid out for the traffic a city handles today, but the Seaport District was. Is that a good or a bad thing? Or just different than what Boston is used to? I've spent a lot of time down there (yes, on bike and car) and I really appreciate the open, bright layout - riding a bike around the Financial District is just plain scary compared to the Seaport.

And you're absolutely right on the city's (ignorant) plan - they want the developers to beautify the street. Just part of their plan to make building so difficult that nobody builds, and none of the beautification takes place. There are plans for a tree-lined Seaport Blvd, but the guy who dug the hole in Downtown Crossing is in charge of building it.

Separately, I think it's a sad testament to Boston that we look at this Fan Pier stump and say "it's not so bad..." - our standards have effectively been lowered to celebrate the mediocre.

This isn't any sort of landmark in modern architecture but it's still a cute little building imo. It's 'modern by the waterfront'. Considering the serious underdevelopment of this location that isn't a bad thing.

What I like the least about this building is that they placed the most bland side facing towards the water and the color they used for the bonding does not look particularly great from afar. It looks, from Long Wharf, almost unfinished.

Nevertheless this is still cute! And it also has no buddies other than the courthouse....

Try to imagine it nestled between something taller or more thin....this type of design could lend itself to some very quirky interaction.

Oh, I get it! The glass sections mimic the barnacles that attach themselves to piers...Fan Pier!

Pelham, why do you tout cars so? I have no problem with smaller cars, wagons, compacts, EV's, but the tank sized SUV's are a real problem. They do not belong in a city. They have their uses, for construction and sport, etc., but not as a family car. A crossover should be plenty for the average person. And for a single person living in a studio apartment? SmartCar at most, ZipCar+bike at least. Or a moped, those things are amazingly efficient and useful.

The building, I don't hate it, but it's dying for some friends. Needs the rest of Fan Pier to be built so bad, it deserves Federal Stimulus Funding.

Seaport Blvd. could be a wonderful, modern, urban boulevard. A tramway going down the middle, bike lanes on either side, two lanes for cars, and wide sidewalks. Matching, evenly spaced, bright streetlights. Some, but not too many, trees and grass.

I just wish architects and urban planners would design for the world we live in, not a fantasy world. The world we live in is auto-focused. Deal with it, plan smartly for it, and work with it - but don't ignore it.

For all it's incomplete failings, at least the Seaport District is extremely accessible from everywhere, and once you get there parking is easy and abundant. So there's no side-street traffic - you get off the highway and big wide streets funnel you to the destination without gridlock.

And Kennedy, to answer your question... big cars, medium cars, little cars... people should drive what they want, what they feel comfortable driving and what they can afford. I drive a tiny little two-door 4 cylinder car, and I love zipping around the city in it. So I choose a small car. Others with families may want a larger car.

It's funny how the politicians don't target minivans, huh? The "SUV" is the harbinger of evil, and you'll never hear a politician rage against a 3-ton Honda Odyssey... but it's sister car on the same platform, with the same engine, the SUV Honda Pilot, gets all the hate.

• Did you know the overall length of a Ford Explorer is 193 inches, and the overall length of a Toyota Camry is 190 inches? Does that extra 3 inches really make the Explorer evil?
  • Did you know that the Jeep Grand Cherokee (6Cyl. AWD) gets 16/21 mpg and the Volkswagon Passat (6Cyl. AWD) gets 16/24 mpg?
The "anti SUV" movement is rooted in a lot of things, logic not being one of them.

You will never see a politician raging against minivans. The fact is, some people need big cars. And some just want them.

Yet, the minivan is sad and ugly enough, and driven by a demographic that is politically-active, so the politicians and activists leave the minivan alone. It's funny, huh?

Sorry for the weird rant! The first part is on-thread though... kinda sorta?

Back