Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore, Mass Turnpike PARCEL 7)

I'd like to know where the MBTA Blue Book ridership statistics are from. This looks like all of Yawkey's average total weekday daily commuters in one shot.

Yup, Yawkey is seriously undercounted. That was 3 minutes before the train, so people were still arriving.

The ground isn't frozen

Harvest Co-op may sprout up in Fenway
By Thomas Grillo
Wednesday, February 9, 2011 - Updated 16 hours ago

In November, construction began on a new $13.5 million Yawkey Station, the first phase of Fenway Center to be built near Kenmore Square. The project, a portion of which will be built over the Massachusetts Turnpike, calls for 370,000 square feet of offices, 330 apartments and 100,000 square feet of retail shops.

Link

That is a lie, there has been no construction.

Also, I didnt realize we had a specific Yawkey thread.
http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?p=112464&highlight=yawkey#post112464

Moderator, care to send these posts over yonder?

From the other thread:

Construction Begins For The First Solar-Powered Transit Station In Mass.
By Deborah Becker and Lisa TobinNov 15, 2010, 7:29 AM UPDATED 10:04 AMCOMMENTS (1)E-mail
Listen Now
Newton developer John Rosenthal will break ground Monday
on the state's first solar-powered transit station. (Lisa Tobin/WBUR)
BOSTON ? When you head into Boston for a Red Sox game, chances are you drive or take the T ? it?s not likely you?ll take commuter rail. The commuter rail stop near Fenway is Yawkey Station, and it isn?t really much of a station.

?This station is an MBTA commuter rail station operating for Longwood medical area and Fenway Park has no public access and is buried in a sea of parking lots,? says Newton developer John Rosenthal.

Monday is a big day for him, because state officials will be in this sea of parking lots to break ground on a new expanded commuter rail station that will be the state?s first solar powered transit station.

That will then allow Rosenthal to begin his $450 million project for this site, known as Fenway Center. It?s a multi-part development project that involves office space, retail, residential units and a parking garage with solar panels. It will be built behind Fenway Park and over the Massachusetts Turnpike.

Construction of the new Yawkey commuter rail station begins Monday. Rosenthal says the first phase of the commercial part of the development will begin in 2011 and take about three years, depending on the financing, which he is still working on.

Rosenthal has been trying to get this off the ground for a decade. WBUR?s Deborah Becker recently talked with him about it at Yawkey Station.

I took a few more pictures of the area, which I didnt post because again....theres absolutely no construction of any kind.

From last weeks(3/4-3/10) Boston Courant:

The developer pushing plans for a $450 million air-rights
project near Fenway Park is on the hunt for a deep-pocketed, national
partner to team up with as he looks to secure financing and start
construction

The Fenway Center developer has constructed affordable housing projects
over the years, but, much like the failed air-rights project Columbus
Center's developer, Arthur Winn, has never built a major urban high-rise
complex.

While pointing out his firm Meredith Management has built more than
2,000 housing units, Rosenthal acknowledged his company has never
undertaken a high-rise development project in Boston. A well-known
development partner would bring major expertise and deep pockets to the
deal, Rosenthal said.

State highway officials set December 31 as a deadline for Rosenthal to
iron out a lease deal to build in the air rights over the Turnpike. It is
unlikely that Rosenthal and the state would be able to ink a deal
without financing in place given it would require the
developer to begin making lease payment. But a spokesperson for the
state's highway department suggested that an extension would likely be
forthcoming if it was needed.

"The official date is December 31, with a MassDOT option to extend
indefinitely as long as the developer is pursuing the project" wrote
Richard Nangle, a spokesperson for the agency, in an e-mail.

How did a small time developer who failed to build on the other turnpike parcels he had been awarded wind up be the only one to bid on this parcel and wind up getting awarded this parcel too?????

I thought the exact same thing when I read that article. What exactly is this guy bringing to the table? He doesn't have the money, nor has does he have any experience with a project as large and complex as this one. Rosenthal seems like an unnecessary middleman here. Why not just award the rights to a " deep-pocketed, national partner" who can actually get this built and remove him from the equation all together.

Doesn't he own adjacent (non-Pike) land that would become part of this project, though?

I don't know if he does or not. I know his initial proposal was for a different Pike parcel on the other side of Brookline Ave. Did he own the land adjacent to that? Was there a swap? I don't recall any of these details from the news articles. I do believe a large chunk of this site is owned by the MTA though.

But even if does own the adjacent non-Pike land, which is unclear to me, so what? There appears to be no significant relationship between the buildings proposed over the Pike and the non-Pike proposals. They don't seem essential to this project.

Doesn't he own adjacent (non-Pike) land that would become part of this project, though?

Rosenthal is the guy behind this:

2008-08-19-rosenthal_gunsbillboard.jpg

He owns the parcel.

What exactly is this guy bringing to the table? He doesn't have the money, nor has does he have any experience with a project as large and complex as this one. Rosenthal seems like an unnecessary middleman here. Why not just award the rights to a " deep-pocketed, national partner" who can actually get this built and remove him from the equation all together.

I don't see the problem with Rosenthal at all. He's a local partner who is invested in the community (already signed up Harvest Coop in case you've forgotten - a great move for the neighborhood). All he needs is a moneyed partner, and I'm not pessimistic yet about him finding one. If you just award the rights to, as you put it, a "deep pocketed national" developer, you will more than likely end up with some Archstone crap, a Starbucks and a Bank of America.

He was awarded this because of his political connections. Why would the state give him this parcel after he failed to build on the three parcels he was previously awarded

...He's a local partner who is invested in the community (already signed up Harvest Coop in case you've forgotten - a great move for the neighborhood). All he needs is a moneyed partner...

It doesn't matter who he's signed as a potential tenant, he's been involved in these Turnpike parcels for going on a decade now and has produced nothing but drawings for a suburban office park plopped on Beacon St. The state revoked the Columbus Center development rights from its developer but there's talk about extending Rosenthal's rights perpetually even though his circumstances are nearly identical. How would this be justified?

If you just award the rights to, as you put it, a "deep pocketed national" developer, you will more than likely end up with some Archstone crap, a Starbucks and a Bank of America.

"Deep pocketed, national partner" were Rosenthal's words, not mine.

As bad as it may be, I'd prefer Archstone crap, including Starbucks and a BofA ,over the monstrous 1300 space parking garage Rosenthal is planning. That's giving back to the community all right.

Has anyone seen any ground work going on here? The first two projects were to redo the Yawkey commuter rail stop and to build a street from Brookline Ave to the train.

Any chance this has been happening?

I went to the Sox game on Father's Day, I didn't see a single sign of work. I didn't look very closely though, but definitely no obvious signs at all.

That's good enough for me, thanks!

I went to the Sox game on Father's Day, I didn't see a single sign of work. I didn't look very closely though, but definitely no obvious signs at all.

I walk by on a daily basis. They've been surveying periodically, but that's it.

I think that Rosenthal has yet to come up with the rest of the $$$ for this project. Can you say, Columbus Center: Part Deux?

He won't be developing this project. He'll bring in a big developer and pocket the cash. Just like Winn was going to with Columbus Sq. Nice to have connections.

I can see why they haven't started the street; last I heard, the guy who actually owns some of the land through which the road would go is saying he doesn't want it to go there. They should have started the renovation of the station, however, since it's state money.

They still havent explained how they will put a center platform between the two tracks.

Unless the platform will be 4 inches wide, something has to move.

And that means the outside track, because theres no space by the highway.

And without the outside track, you cant service yawkey.

Havent seen any "Yawkey will be closed for 19 months, deal with it" announcements.

Back