Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore, Mass Turnpike PARCEL 7)

This is why we can't have nice things...

Classic - How can a REIT be a NIMBY? It's a commercial building, with no backyard. If the lawsuit was really "frivolous" the financing wouldn't have gotten pulled. But hey, I'll take your word for it, I'm sure you know more about property law than a Ropes & Gray partner

And...

So, why is this private developer allowed to make millions of dallars off of a taxpayer funded MBTA project ?
How is this even legal?

On a side note, I was driving over there today. If ground broke on Monday, then I didn't see anything going on today. Maybe I am an impatient Ian, but I saw a full parking lot, and no equipment. I know that the real nitty-gritty of the work won't start til April, but still...

Did anyone not see this coming?

To my knowledge the only construction that started this month is for Yawkey Station. At least if this project fails, it won't leave a mess behind, as it's not pulling down any significant buildings.

New outdoor construction generally not exist between November and March. Why dig a hole thats just going to get filled with snow?

I think by "break ground" they mean "survey a few more times"

New outdoor construction generally not exist between November and March. Why dig a hole thats just going to get filled with snow?

I think by "break ground" they mean "survey a few more times"
...Yeah, that makes sense. Not too many outdoor projects go on during the winter.

Harvest Co-op may sprout up in Fenway
By Thomas Grillo
Wednesday, February 9, 2011 - Updated 16 hours ago

In the first retail deal for Fenway Center, Harvest Co-op, a community-owned market, has signed a letter of intent to build a store at the corner of Beacon and Maitland streets.

?It?s a great location and the neighborhood is thrilled,? said John Rosenthal, president of Meredith Management Corp., the Newton-based developer of the $450 million Fenway Center project. ?They want a grocer as much as they want a new commuter rail station.?

Harvest, which has stores in Cambridge and Jamaica Plain, specializes in organic produce, fresh fish, local and imported cheeses, meat from naturally raised animals, bulk spices, wine and beer. The 10,000-square-foot store will also include a 2,500-square-foot cafe.

In November, construction began on a new $13.5 million Yawkey Station, the first phase of Fenway Center to be built near Kenmore Square. The project, a portion of which will be built over the Massachusetts Turnpike, calls for 370,000 square feet of offices, 330 apartments and 100,000 square feet of retail shops.

Edward Burke, a longtime Fenway resident and member of the Fenway Civic Association, said a co-op market will be welcomed by the neighborhood. ?I?m sure reside nts want more market choices, a lot will depend on the prices they charge,? he said. Burke said discussions are also under way with the Gloucester Fishermen?s Wives Association to bring freshly caught fish to the Fenway.

Today, Fenway residents shop at the Shaw?s on Boylston Street and the Whole Foods on Westland Avenue.

In late 2009, Marshall?s Farm Stand of Gloucester opened a 14,000-square-foot market at the former Goodyear Tire site at 1345 Boylston St. The temporary store, leased by Samuels & Associates, offers produce, locally baked pastries, breads and cheeses, imported olive oils and gourmet food items. Samuels, who developed Trilogy and 1330 Boylston St., is considering a supermarket for the Goodyear site, but no deal has been signed.

Link

That's great news. It will serve South Campus / East Campus BU just as much as Fenway.

I see from Google Maps it may not be a straight shot to get to this location from many parts of Fenway--it looks more Kenmore/E. Brookline-convenient. Still, grocery options are always welcome, so this is good news.

Assuming prices are decent, it will probably become most of BU's go-to supermarket.

Assuming prices are decent, it will probably become most of BU's go-to supermarket.

I'm unfamiliar with their stores in Cambridge and JP--how do prices compare?

Maybe, but there's a pretty diesel Shaw's and Super 88 right at Packard's Corner too. I live nearby and there's usually a pretty healthy flow of BU students there.

Maybe, but there's a pretty diesel Shaw's and Super 88 right at Packard's Corner too. I live nearby and there's usually a pretty healthy flow of BU students there.

Right, west campus students, but most students live in east campus

Right, west campus students, but most students live in east campus

Is that still the case now that Student Village is nearly complete?

Is that still the case now that Student Village is nearly complete?

I believe so. None of the east-campus buildings are apartment style, so you have tiny rooms crammed with students.

The student village apartments include kitchen and living room, so even though the building is bigger, it doesnt hold that many students.

Myles Standish for example, holds 666 students, not including the annex. (Easy number to remember!)

Myles Standish for example, holds 666 students, not including the annex. (Easy number to remember!)
LOL -- I don't recall that being tossed about when I was a resident of 610 Beacon. But the idea that the biblical beast might reside there sounds about right.

Another winter, another groundbreaking, and zero work has been done. Not even a fence for show or something.

IMG_8773.jpg

IMG_8774.jpg

Ground's still frozen, snow's only been gone a week. Way too early to be starting any digging.

I'd like to know where the MBTA Blue Book ridership statistics are from. This looks like all of Yawkey's average total weekday daily commuters in one shot.

Back