Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore, Mass Turnpike PARCEL 7)

Um g0nnha staht riGHTINGGGG LIKLE TH!SASS so peepLe will REPEcKT ME MOOOOOR.

It's sort of like a Jackson Pollock. You can copy the style but the original will always stand apart.

"Unckel Ned's"

subtle touch...i like it :p

HERE are the pts.

1. This TOTALIE uglyed projekt. ALL this monies. Get BIG PILE OF EXSREMENTS. Better buying pile of POOP because it WASH AWAY in rain.

TOO. Mr. Ned F. NOT mu uncles. He fine man of CONVICTIONS. But. NOT have honor of HISblood.

Next. Iam NOT this frictional preson. Iam the REAL one. My old uncle showing me this ARKBOSON place. SO. I ask. Can I being the poster two? He say YES. Show me how. So I post. He SAY 'NO. YOU IDIOT. Sometimes." But he goving the advice to me. BUT I AM THE REAL 1 AGAINST STUPIS BILDINGS!!!

Back to studies. Homeroon breke.

Does anyone know if the renderings of this have anything to do with the actual design (as opposed to the massing)? I always assumed they were for massing purposes because the POV is from 1/4 mile away and I've never seen anything up close.

Coming up for air rights
Fenway Center start would boost other Pike projects

By Thomas Grillo | Sunday, May 16, 2010 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Business & Markets

State officials say if the $500 million Fenway Center complex at Kenmore Square breaks ground this year, it would open the door to a second project above the Pike at Massachusetts Avenue.

Once Meredith Management Corp.?s project is financed, ?we won?t look so crazy starting up a new air-rights process,? said Peter O?Connor, the state Department of Transportation?s deputy secretary for real estate, referring to the failed Columbus Center project that ended in March after 13 years of stops and starts.

Fenway Center - a 1.3 million-square-foot mixed-use development on 4.5 acres between Kenmore Square and the Longwood Medical Center - would include 370,000 square feet of office space, 330 residential units, 90,000 square feet of retail and 1,290 garage parking places.

The Legislature has already approved $24.5 million to finance a new Yawkey commuter rail station and road improvements. But John Rosenthal, Meredith?s president, is still seeking $170 million in financing for phase one of the project.

One year ago, O?Connor shelved plans to build above the Massachusetts Turnpike on Parcels 12 through 15 between the Back Bay and Fenway neighborhoods. In 2008, four developers offered plans - from housing to offices - that would transform a section of Boylston Street and Massachusetts Avenue and fill the space above the Pike.

Carpenter & Co. proposed a 200-room hotel and office tower. The Chiofaro Co. pitched a 25-story office building. Weiner Ventures offered a 40-story tower with office and housing. And Trinity Financial proposed 546 units of housing in a pair of buildings at 11 and 14 stories.

?We are anxious to get started,? said Patrick Lee, principal at Trinity. ?While financing is a challenge today, the permitting process can take a while and by then the credit markets should improve.?

Ted Oatis, co-founder of the Chiofaro Co., said he recently called the state to see what was happening with plans to develop the parcels.

?We have spoken with (O?Connor) to remind him that we are very interested in doing something at that location,? he said. ?We call periodically to make sure he knows.?

O?Connor said the financing climate for large commercial projects appears to be improving. ?People are feeling a little more optimistic about the economy and lending,? he said.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1255126

Fast-track Yawkey plan
Developer: 1-year station closing would save T time, money
By Thomas Grillo
Friday, July 2, 2010

A Hub developer wants the MBTA to shut the Yawkey commuter rail station for a year, insisting it?s the best way to save money while rebuilding the Fenway-area stop for medical workers and ballgame-bound Red Sox fans.

John Rosenthal, the president of Meredith Management Corp., said that closing the station for the $12 million makeover - part of his $500 million Fenway Center mixed-used project near Kenmore Square - would speed construction and save money.

?I want to deliver the station as quickly and as inexpensively for the state and the taxpayers,? said Rosenthal.

Yet a station shutdown would be a major inconvenience for commuter rail riders on the Framingham/Worcester line - including Sox fans who take the trains to avoid the sky-high parking prices outside Fenway Park. The T said 1,275 commuters use Yawkey every week, but could not detail weekend ridership by Sox fans.

?We are not going to close the station for a year,? said T spokesman Joe Pesaturo. ?That would be a hardship for our customers.?

Rosenthal was eyeing a Yawkey shutdown after Fenway Center?s groundbreaking around Labor Day. He said that, with trains passing by the station and passengers out of the way of workers, his team could get the station job done in about 12 months - on time and on budget.

But if Yawkey stations open, crews would have to toil for three years, driving up the T?s tab, Rosenthal said.

?It?s a terrible knee-jerk reaction for the MBTA to make a decision without knowing the financial implications,? he said. ?If the price for keeping it open is prohibitive, I will work with (MBTA General Manager Richard Davey) to have him reconsider a temporary closure.?

The MBTA has instead agreed to close Yawkey Station only for up to six weekends near the end of construction - but not during baseball season.

Rosenthal said he is disappointed with the T?s decision, noting that he has support from the Red Sox and the Medical Academic & Scientific Community Organization, whose members work in the Longwood Medical Area and use the station.

The team, which regularly encourages fans to take public transportation to Sox games, said in a statement it is ?eager to see a plan that would reduce the timeline for construction of a new Yawkey Station.?

Link

Given the track record of the T and the state I saw let him at it.

Only 180 people a day use this station.

lol, set up a temporary wood platform somewhere nearby, why must we be so difficult. It will be worth it, I'm sure.

You'd think by now the MBTA would own a set or two of temporary platforms, made out of aluminum, which could be assembled and disassembled whenever there was a major construction. Event companies build entire bleachers and amphitheaters out of temporary aluminum structures which are reused across the country. Why can't the MBTA think of something like this? Hell, with such platforms the agency could even run experimental temporary stations to see if was worth the ridership to build a new permanent station.

WHy don't they just put Fenway shuttles at the next closest stop to Fenway?

That would be Back Bay in one direction, Newtonville in the other. Not very practical or useful.

I'm thinking 1200 a week isn't much to worry about to begin with (thats 14 people an hour for a 12hr time span per day). Is it possible in Newton to transfer to the Green line? Also the temporary stop idea sounds simple enough. I'm sure there is red tape making it more difficult though.

I'm thinking 1200 a week isn't much to worry about to begin with (thats 14 people an hour for a 12hr time span per day). Is it possible in Newton to transfer to the Green line? Also the temporary stop idea sounds simple enough. I'm sure there is red tape making it more difficult though.

Is that what they mean by 1200 riders a week, or as I would guess they have 1200 weekly (work commuters) riders, meaning the same 1,200 people daily?

Green line goes to Newton, and is much more abundant in the back bay area. Take the train to Back Bay, and switch to either a bus or the Green line. That doesn't sound too impractical Ron. Shuttle from Newtonville yes sounds silly.

Half the people who get off at Fenway for work probably have a similar walk to work frorm here as they would from Back Bay anyways.

I say make a compromise and allow the station to be closed from October thru March. 6 months when the Sox don't play, and they can bang out the majority of the work. Phase the construction properly, and they might make it work.

Why does the article mention taxpayers paying for anything? I thought the whole point was that the developer had to pay or it because he plans on destroying the neighborhood with a billion parking spots in his enormous new parking garages?

Also, how accurate are the passenger counts? Ive taken the train from Yawkey to south station multiple times, and never been asked to pay.

Also, look at what the projects FEIR says:

"Currently, the Yawkey Station Redevelopment Project is progressing through the Design Development phase. The construction of Yawkey Station is projected to begin in mid-2010 with an estimated completion date towards the middle to end of 2011. Commuter rail operation will be maintained during construction of the station improvements. "
http://www.meredithmanagement.com/10-15-09 Parcel 7 FEIR.pdf

1 year construction AND keeping it open. Did someone lie in their FEIR?

Also, look at what the projects FEIR says:

"Currently, the Yawkey Station Redevelopment Project is progressing through the Design Development phase. The construction of Yawkey Station is projected to begin in mid-2010 with an estimated completion date towards the middle to end of 2011. Commuter rail operation will be maintained during construction of the station improvements. "
http://www.meredithmanagement.com/10-15-09 Parcel 7 FEIR.pdf

1 year construction AND keeping it open. Did someone lie in their FEIR?

Haven't read the whole filing, but from the section you quoted, I read that as construction won't disrupt rail service on the line. I don't take any understanding of whether Yawkey Stn itself will remain open during construction.

You'd think by now the MBTA would own a set or two of temporary platforms, made out of aluminum, which could be assembled and disassembled whenever there was a major construction. Event companies build entire bleachers and amphitheaters out of temporary aluminum structures which are reused across the country. Why can't the MBTA think of something like this? Hell, with such platforms the agency could even run experimental temporary stations to see if was worth the ridership to build a new permanent station.

Interesting idea Lurker. One problem would be pedestrian access. Temporary platforms might require new signals at intersections, new crosswalks, new handicapped access, etc.

As MBTA work starts, $450M Fenway Center lacks financing
Big bump in the road
By Thomas Grillo
Wednesday, November 17, 2010

As officials broke ground on a new, $13.5 million Yawkey Station on Monday, the developer was still scrambling to finance the rest of the $450 million Fenway Center.

The lack of financing evokes memories of the stalled One Franklin project in Downtown Crossing - where the former Filene?s building is still an ugly hole in the ground - and Kensington Investment?s unfulfilled 30-story tower on Washington Street.

John Rosenthal, president of Meredith Management Corp., the Newton developer behind Fenway Center, acknowledged he is still trying to line up financing for the massive mixed-use development near Kenmore Square. The over-the-Pike project calls for 370,000 square feet of offices, 330 apartments, retail and a 1,290-space parking garage.

?We have very vigorous conversations going on with several different funding sources,? he said. ?The fact that Yawkey Station is under way helps.?

Rosenthal said his financing deal went south last summer. A lawsuit by an abutter, HRPT, which is suing the city over its approval of the Fenway Center, caused the lender to pull the financing.

?We had 100 percent of the money committed in July and the uncertainty as a result of the frivolous lawsuit against the city on zoning is not helping our financing,? he said.

Still, Rosenthal expressed confidence that he will secure the $160 million first-phase funding by the spring - $105 million from a lender, $35 million in private equity and $20 million in so-called new market tax credits.

He also said his company is ready to sign a lease with the Medical Academic and Scientific Community Organization for 500 parking spaces, and he has a letter of intent from an organic grocer that will anchor the retail space.

In 2008, Boston Redevelopment Authority director John Palmieri told the Herald that developers who win approval for major projects in Boston would have 18 months to get started or face a return to City Hall. So far, 22 months have passed since Rosenthal won approval for Fenway Center.

?We met with Rosenthal?s team and we are satisfied he will get it done,? Palmieri said yesterday. ?There are no guarantees, but he has identified resources and explained how he expects to make it happen.?

Link

Columbus Center 2: Electric Boogaloo

Back