Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Landscaping can always be dealt with later. This looks like the best design and usage iteration so far for any of the proposals.

The renders seem to imply some highly reflective glass. To the point where it looks like a curtain wall outside the structure, especially along Beacon St.. Either I'm right and that's incredible or the renders are way over-selling this idea.

Edit: "curtain wall outside" is terrible, I can't find the words...similar to the Apple store on Boylston, although less extreme.

Probably said earlier, but has a Boeing Kendall Sq-esque look to it. I like it. This is really going to reshape the area, alongside the hotel or whatever going in that triangle in Kenmore Square.

1582764380446.jpg
1582764409016.jpg

Looking good mostly, a tremendous project. This stretch though is terrible, it looks like a potential late-night crime corridor, there doesn't seem to be a single door anywhere in addition to no windows. That aside it's just unengaging or do they plan to liven up the whole thing with their gun control politics?

Looking good mostly, a tremendous project. This stretch though is terrible, it looks like a potential late-night crime corridor, there doesn't seem to be a single door anywhere in addition to no windows.

I'll say! A daytime crime area at that! What would it take to put in a sausage cart? Or even better, at the location denoted "8 children and teens" a restaurant with cafe seating? Actually that whole wall could be restaurants if some sort of architectural/artistic thought was brought to the barrier thing. Unless there are structural issues there that prevents that.

Looking good mostly, a tremendous project. This stretch though is terrible, it looks like a potential late-night crime corridor, there doesn't seem to be a single door anywhere in addition to no windows. That aside it's just unengaging or do they plan to liven up the whole thing with their gun control politics?

Isn't that true on every face? I know they have an elevation change and the passageway borders the parking garage, but this is a really non-permeable facade. The brickwork on the prior version at least helped it pretend, but now it looks almost hostile.

Better than a freeway, but again, compare it to Parcel 12...

There's not much they can do about that blank wall, although what they did here, using textured and/or colored concrete, is the bare minimum. Though, with its proximity to Fenway Park and Kenmore Sq, you'd figure they'd try to enhance it even a little bit. Some more/larger raised plant beds and greenery could really go a long way. Maybe some vertical 'green walls' would be a nice touch for its context and continue the green archway they have going on.

I'll say! A daytime crime area at that! What would it take to put in a sausage cart? Or even better, at the location denoted "8 children and teens" a restaurant with cafe seating? Actually that whole wall could be restaurants if some sort of architectural/artistic thought was brought to the barrier thing. Unless there are structural issues there that prevents that.
Remember that this is a deck. Directly on the other side of that "blade fence" (for lack of a better term) are Worcester Line tracks. With the diesel locomotives directly below, this isn't an area people are going to want to hang out. I think that no matter what you program here, this will be a pass-through and nothing more.

There's not much they can do about that blank wall, although what they did here, using textured and/or colored concrete, is the bare minimum. Though, with its proximity to Fenway Park and Kenmore Sq, you'd figure they'd try to enhance it even a little bit. Some more/larger raised plant beds and greenery could really go a long way. Maybe some vertical 'green walls' would be a nice touch for its context and continue the green archway they have going on.
They're going to need to put in emergency call boxes every 10 feet but each one could be painted a different happy lollipop color.

BCDC presentation:

Note all the sketches (some of which are better than what they're doing, some are worse). Also this:

- INTRODUCING WARMER MATERIALITY ALONG ENTIRETY OF THE PODIUM IS SUCCESSFUL

I love when BPDA presentations include these comments, particularly when they make the good commissioners look batcrap insane.

Probably said earlier, but has a Boeing Kendall Sq-esque look to it. I like it. This is really going to reshape the area, alongside the hotel or whatever going in that triangle in Kenmore Square.
And don't forget BU's data science tower. This area will have some of Boston's most unique high rise architecture.

A crazy thought: biotech lab space might solve our forever problem: decking. Think; large floorplates, high $ per square foot. The Harrison Ave, Washington St. Pike crossing is a 15 minute walk from the BMC and the Bio 4 Lab on Albany, it qualifies in a broad sense. And so does way down on Comm Ave with that BU thing at Mountifort St. right next to the gosh darn robotics lab.

In some sort of strange 21st century type deal, I think I can see this. Back Bay Station certainly qualifies as a headquarters in it's own right as the next iteration of a bad stack of books.

BCDC presentation:

Note all the sketches (some of which are better than what they're doing, some are worse). Also this:

I love when BPDA presentations include these comments, particularly when they make the good commissioners look batcrap insane.

Oh wow this may be the first “official” render ever to show copley sq tower, 40 trinity, and the hancock garage towers all completed together. Mannn... what could have been. Oh yea and parcel 13 and 15 too. MASSIVE improvements to the back bay.

Pretty interesting that with these it becomes symmetrical in a whole new way. Instead of the high spine it creates an hour glass shape. Very cool.

Anyways...

Last edited:
Is there anything planned for the parking lot along David Ortiz Drive/Other project planned?
Nope, nothing planned for the lot along Ortiz Drive. The Red Sox own the rectangular portion along Brookline Ave, while "HRPT MEDICAL BLDG REALTY" owns the back sliver.

Aboslutely hate the Brookline Ave portion of this project. The facade is too monolithic and imposing on that stretch.

Back