Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

DD, can you clarify this a bit:
Isn't the radical change in massing the result of its planned use change--
as opposed to the choice of architect team?
Yeah, that's fair to say and a better point to make.

CACB4041-7378-4BFE-9840-6C111C75E918.jpeg
DA79647B-C82A-43B9-8F6B-C2D6E85F8F22.jpeg
761E4BBB-DC73-4F16-ABA8-23C1EEF58AA6.jpeg

Maybe i should be more happy we were in the dumps for so many of the last 110 years.
We managed to dodge some bullets.

How recent was this tripe?

Last edited:
Yeah, the massing was better when it was thinner, but those office park facades... woof.

haha I felt the same way. But hen you look at it... it looks like this newest version will have the most lab/office space of all three renders.

^^The final approved plan (from a few years ago) was residential (right?) to 305' with an insanely huge parking garage.
Now it's labs and 500 fewer spaces.

Whenever the BPDA presentation starts with "what we heard", you know it's going to be rough. This is mostly okay, though. Made it a slightly shorter blade/wall from the river. I liked the old low-rise coloring and massing better, but the green door in the red facade really jumps out and is a nice tribute to Fenway.

With this and 15 Necco, was there, like, a food truck painted black over red outside the BCDC meeting last week?

1582204755589.png

I don't comment often but this new design is a huge step down from the last iteration. I wasn't a big fan of the wide massing to begin with, but I understand the economics of building over the pike require a certain square footage. The dark color of the tower and dark metal on the lower mechanical floors is incredibly foreboding. The new, red façade on the Brookline Street side loses all of the human scale and congruency that the previous design contained. I can't believe this is what they "heard."

Tower.jpg
Brookline.jpg

I think you people have too much time on your hands. ;) It looks fine. Build the freakin' thing already and kudos to the developer if we finally get something built over the Pike for the first time in eons.

Back