Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

@Jumbo, whaddaya mean we can't demand the developer build the Taj Mahal over the turnpike even though we rarely pass by the site and have none of our own money sunk into the project?!?! That's just crazy talk! ;)

I don't know about building the Taj, but, as part of the deal to develop any of this, the developer was supposed to do the air rights parcel first to get the right to the rest of the parcels. The developer then dragged ass for years until the BPDA blinked and let them do the terra firma piece, too. So, yeah, I think the public has the right to demand that the build at least something over the pike - money invested or not.

I don't know about building the Taj, but, as part of the deal to develop any of this, the developer was supposed to do the air rights parcel first to get the right to the rest of the parcels. The developer then dragged ass for years until the BPDA blinked and let them do the terra firma piece, too. So, yeah, I think the public has the right to demand that the build at least something over the pike - money invested or not.

The public doesn't have the "right to demand" jack. That's between the city, the turnpike I'm assuming because of the air rights, and the developer. If you let every loon with a nonsensical grievance into the development process, nothing will get built. Especially inherently difficult projects like building over a major highway. Delaying the terra firma part of the project until the air rights portion makes no sense, especially when people who have zero stake in the project are the ones making the demands.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they have funding for the air-rights phase secured. There's a good chance it gets built. They're supposed to commence in the coming months, though who knows with the covid delay if that will be the case. I think a lot of the Pike level work is going to coincide with the Parcel 12 work further down the Pike, IIRC.

The public doesn't have the "right to demand" jack. That's between the city, the turnpike I'm assuming because of the air rights, and the developer. If you let every loon with a nonsensical grievance into the development process, nothing will get built. Especially inherently difficult projects like building over a major highway. Delaying the terra firma part of the project until the air rights portion makes no sense, especially when people who have zero stake in the project are the ones making the demands.

While you're right, "the public" is the constituent of the city and the state, so politics dictates that the public gets to squawk at electeds who can decide to lend them credence or not.

While you're right, "the public" is the constituent of the city and the state, so politics dictates that the public gets to squawk at electeds who can decide to lend them credence or not.

Which is how it should work. If you don't like how the city permits new buildings, vote Mahhty out. But having loons with nothing else going on in their lives (see Kressel, Shirley), blocking projects because they don't meet their own personal specifications is a recipe for disaster.

Which is how it should work. If you don't like how the city permits new buildings, vote Mahhty out. But having loons with nothing else going on in their lives (see Kressel, Shirley), blocking projects because they don't meet their own personal specifications is a recipe for disaster.

Wasn'y claiming that, other than the public has a vested interest in having the air rights parcel built - you know, because we traded the (public) rights to the developer so they would develop it. What is wrong with the public wanting to keep the developer (and officials) to their word/plan ?

The lighting effect makes that building a bit more aesthetically tolerable when comparing #1490 to #1508. Either way, the actual building design still sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: W-4
The lighting effect makes that building a bit more ascetically tolerable when comparing #1490 to #1508. Either way, the actual building design still sucks.
That's exactly what I was thinking. The orange light makes the building slightly less horrific, but it still looks warped, chaotic and disfigured. A train wreck.

Per Tim Logan on Twitter: As closures begin on the Turnpike for Parcel 12, John Rosenthal expects a Fall 2020 start to construction to take advantage. Crickets on the Viola, so I assume that's dead for now.

Per Tim Logan on Twitter: As closures begin on the Turnpike for Parcel 12, John Rosenthal expects a Fall 2020 start to construction to take advantage. Crickets on the Viola, so I assume that's dead for now.

Good news if the larger air rights portion really does get going soon!

As to Viola, I think they figured out that 11 floors is not going to cut it for an expensive air rights project. Aren't they trying to increase the height on the Mass Ave side?

IMG_1951 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1955 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1961 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1967 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1959 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1957 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1958 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1960 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1972 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1970 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Is this s new design trend? Conical staircases. They are also popping up in the seaport.

IMG_1966 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1971 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Back