Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

The BPDA is worried about shadows on the commonwealth ave mall

To quote the sublime The Tender Bar, this is exactly false.

The "Act Protecting Sunlight In Certain Public Parks" was a Legislative bill, filed by Reps. Walz & Rushing, in (entirely reasonable, as democratically-elected reps) response to their presumably vehemently NIMBYite constituencies. See its prior iteration, here.

There was an even earlier iteration from 1990, which is hard to track down online, that is cited at the start of the Winthrop Center shadow-law exemption law that got passed in 2017.

Although I'm generally in agreement with your grievances, before you commence on a rant, please research any assertions you're about to make... otherwise AB members might start to harbor suspicions that you're (aaiieeeee! no! gasp!) The Rifleman come back from the dead to terrorize the forum with depressingly fact-challenged tirades.

9/1
Noche y dia
5173B313-1C14-4245-AB03-50AEAC652816.jpeg
1EC35049-ADBB-4C1C-87E5-939056E29761.jpeg

Where is that Sal's pizza located? I don't remember a location near this project.

There seemed to be a lot of action at the site last night as I drove through/under on the pike.

As long as this thread has been bumped, anybody know the timetable when we should see the tower start rising?

Where is that Sal's pizza located? I don't remember a location near this project.
Yeah funny, I don't ever recall eating here or even seeing it or noticing it, and I used to spend a lot of time around here.

The byline of this article is,
'The Fenway District is the foundation of a new life sciences hub in the City of Boston and will reconnect Kenmore Square with Longwood Medical and Academic Area.'
It's interesting and sort of sad that there is this mentality and assumption that every single thing that exists anywhere in any city that's not the epitome of enlightened urbanism is a product of some unenlightened (auto-centric) decision made in the recent past that undid some idealized earlier paradise. People forget that the idealized past (pre-car) had plenty of shittiness to go around. Urban poverty, wealth inequality, seriously dangerous industries with awful pollutants right in the middle of city's (like on the Roxbury Canal)... and some areas that were just undeveloped wastelands. The area between LMA and Kenmore was such a wasteland: first it was a swamp, then it was filled in, and it never was developed into anything other than some piecemeal buildings of light industry in the first half of the 20th century (when of course there was also no such thing as the LMA, the LMA being mostly a mix of residences in Roxbury and undeveloped parcels speckled with institutional buildings). Therefore, nothing is being "reconnected" here; rather, the two areas are being connected for the very first time. I know many people read stuff like this and feel it's a ridiculous diatribe making a mountain out of molehill, but little things like this byline reveal the deeper workings of collective psychology and embedded assumptions. They are clues to how people think of the past and the present. And in contemporary urbanism circles (which are pretty much reflective of contemporary liberal circles' ways of thinking more generally), there is a collective romanticization of the past prior to the 1900s, and a an antipathy to the recent past circa 1920s-1970s. While it is true that the era of the car destroyed much that was good, the urbanism of the past also had many problems. We shouldn't be so quick to simply assume that every great project that knits two areas together is "re-knitting" as opposed to knitting for the very first time.

People tend to view Pike air rights projects as restoring connections, but what they forget, is that before the Pike, these neighborhoods were severed by the railroad for 100 years, and before that, many of them did not exist, which is why the rail road could be built in the first place. So no, I don't think it's wrong to point that out, or that pre-car cities actually sucked pretty badly. But just the same, every step that does stitch together previously blocked connections when done in the 21st century can be very good for urbanism.

People tend to view Pike air rights projects as restoring connections, but what they forget, is that before the Pike, these neighborhoods were severed by the railroad for 100 years, and before that, many of them did not exist, which is why the rail road could be built in the first place. So no, I don't think it's wrong to point that out, or that pre-car cities actually sucked pretty badly. But just the same, every step that does stitch together previously blocked connections when done in the 21st century can be very good for urbanism.
Does anyone know if there's a thread for 725 Beacon? It's going to be a 22 story tower which should be really prominent in that area. Surprised there isn't more discussion about it on here.

and some areas that were just undeveloped wastelands. The area between LMA and Kenmore was such a wasteland: first it was a swamp, then it was filled in, and it never was developed into anything other than some piecemeal buildings of light industry in the first half of the 20th century (when of course there was also no such thing as the LMA, the LMA being mostly a mix of residences in Roxbury and undeveloped parcels speckled with institutional buildings).

I don’t think this is true.

The MFA, Isabella Stuart Museum, Simmons, Emmanuel, Boston Latin, Winsor, and Harvard Medical all date to the 1900s or 1910s. Furthermore, the park through the Fens was laid out by Olmsted as early as 1887.

The filling in of the river to make a parking lot and construction of the big mass of roads especially where Brookline meets Boylston occurred in the 1950s.

Here’s a nice write up:

Back