Fenway HoJo's Redevelopment | 1271 Boylston Street | Fenway

Wandered across this: http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2014/3/20/113413/744/hotels/First_Look_at_The_Verb_Hotel%2C_Opening_at_Fenway_Park_This_Summer_

verbhotel_fenwaypark.jpg

Looks like the plan - http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...b-hotel-to-replace-howard-johnson-fenway.html

Maybe the architect has been on a continuous acid trip since the 1970s?

Didn't they say that this was temporary until they could build something more substantial in the lot? It looks like that's just a face-lift and nothing is changing structurally.

I would assume so as well. Samuels has the point and the landmark still to go plus what he is building now. Not counting the veridian and the skansa project, that is alot of apartments to absorb at the prices they are setting them at.

I'd certainly rather have the place stay open for the time being (as in this plan) rather than sit abandoned or be demolished for an empty lot.

I call this land banking done right. There's clearly something to Samuel's ability to get stuff done, and keep the neighbors on board. I think this reflects that.

Yeah, I looked quickly and didn't see its the same building. I also forgot this is a Sameuls project. It would be kinda cool if they put out some postcards,

No chance they are going to spend millions renovating this only to tear the entire thing down soon. I bet this is what will be at that site for at least 10-15 years and perhaps more. As well as Samuels is doing these days, I don't think he is in the businesses of throwing down millions only to demolish shortly thereafter. Sadly, we will be stuck with this for awhile. Hopefully I am wrong.

The Herald article doesn't suggest that this is temporary. In fact the sum of money involved and the way it's presented (i.e., lots of language about the "fantastic architecture" of this "great little building" among other head-scratchers) make me think this is here for a while.

All I can think is: "WTF?!!?!" and "Samuels must really think the economy is going to crap to leave this taxpayer roach motel standing."

Howard Johnson Inn to get ‘edgy’ redo
Friday, March 21, 2014
By Donna Goodison

An “edgy” and “irreverent” 94-room boutique hotel paying homage to the Fenway’s musical and artistic history will replace the shuttered and past-its-prime Howard Johnson Inn.

Samuels & Associates plans to open The Verb this summer after an 
$18.8 million-plus redevelopment that will include an interior gut-renovation of the Boylston Street property while preserving the 1959 building’s mid-century facade and architecture.

It will be the first hotel for Samuels, which is credited with breathing new life into the Fenway with numerous residential, retail and office projects, including Fenway Triangle Trilogy, 1330 Boylston St. and the Van Ness Building. For this development, it is partnering with Weiner Ventures and Spot-On Ventures, developers of the Mandarin Oriental Boston.

“We’re completely refurbishing the entire building,” said Spot-On principal Robin Brown, a former 13-year general manager of the Four Seasons Hotel Boston. “It was a very high-quality building that lacked in love. We’re more than tipping our hat to the original architects’ design intent, making it authentic, but modern.”

The team hired a London branding firm to brainstorm about the hotel’s positioning, its style of service and attitude, and its name.

“Everything about the hotel will be a little bit irreverent,” Brown said. “This is like me having a midlife crisis of hotels that’s grounded with superb service and superb details, nailed with a huge sense of humor. This is not going to be a serious hotel.”

The hotel’s lobby will include a DJ spinning vinyl albums that will be on display. Boston music and pop-culture memorabilia ranging from historic Boston Phoenix covers to photos of musicians who performed in Boston or appeared on WFNX-FM radio also will decorate the public spaces.

“Once we really got to know the building, we saw that (it) really had great bones,” said Leslie Cohen, Samuels’ executive vice president of development. “We thought this was a great opportunity to create a spectacular new product in short order. Hotel rooms are in high demand.”

Room rates are expected to start in the $200 range.

The hotel will include a heated outdoor pool and deck, along with a 4,000-square-foot, three-meal restaurant and bar.

“We’re looking for (a chef) that fits in with the vibe of the Fenway — someone who is up-and-coming and consistent with our restaurateurs,” Cohen said.

http://bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2014/03/howard_johnson_inn_to_get_edgy_redo

Maybe I am the only one who thinks a quirky retro hotel rehab is kind of great.

So what if it takes 10-20 years to build up on this site? The neighborhood is completely transformed already and its only half built. I'm confident that Samuels will build here as soon as he can make money doing it.

AND - the place sounds kind of cool...

Justin, I'm with you, I like it too. Samuels is smart to tie this in with music instead of baseball. I can see it becoming the place acts playing Lansdowne stay at, and becoming one of those retro hip places that is way to cool for me. I imagine the plan is to make this last about as long as a fresh design seems fresh, guessing, 10 years.

I agree with the "landbanking done right" comment. Why all the griping? Samuels has projects both under construction and in the tubes. This is a fine reuse of a pretty shitty existing structure. I also call bull on the "10-15 years isn't temporary". If Samuels' great master plan is to make money on this project for 10 years, see how the market looks, and then shred it for another residential building, then it's temporary. Really this is a hedge by Samuels. He's turning this lot into something that can make him money in the mid-term, until he can put up something new that will make him more money in the long-term.

Weren't the Red Sox partners in this purchase. I wonder if they insisted on a hotel (makes sense) and low rise (to keep views out of Fenway) in exchange for a lower rate of return.

Back