Fenway HoJo's Redevelopment | 1271 Boylston Street | Fenway

Really this is a hedge by Samuels. He's turning this lot into something that can make him money in the mid-term, until he can put up something new that will make him more money in the long-term.

Yeah this is my read on it too. He's waiting 5-10 years to see if the rental and condo markets are still going gangbusters. If the market has cooled off to the point that building another large building doesn't make economic sense, he at least has the renovated hotel generating income.

^Agree. Also, Boston has a shortage of hotel rooms. It's nice to have these back online temporarily until something larger is developed.

The hotel is so retro that even the bus pulling up next door in the render looks like it's picking up protesters for an anti-Vietnam War protest! I, for one, am impressed.

especially as the Inn at Harvard was lost last year, to become 'swing space' for Harvard house renovations.

^ My mind completely went to Standard Hotels as well. And while the House of Blues and Berklee are near by, I can't help but wonder if it would make more sense to push a sports/Red Sox theme than chase after (presumably broke) hipsters.

Dirty Old Boston just posted these back from when it was known as the Fenway Motor Lodge, both from 1965 and both by Fay Foto:

The Cartoon Room:

06mu.jpg

And the V.I.P. Lounge:

4qno.jpg

In case anyone missed them (I think they were added to the article later), here are some more pictures of the new hotel design from the article.

gallery-1079-image-10303.jpg

gallery-1079-image-10304.jpg

gallery-1079-image-10305.jpg

gallery-1079-image-10306.jpg

FYI- the vintage bus in the picture is part of the hotel and may actually be available for rent as a room. It just arrived this week.

When I saw "The Verb," I initially thought it was a Florida-themed place named The Vero.

After I read here what it actually was, it occurred to me that they should get Morgan Freeman to come for the ribbon-cutting... dressed as Easy Reader, of course!

Easy Reader

Ah crap. Whenever there's a club with a lone verb as its name, I usually can't afford it. This one is called "Verb" so I definitely can't afford it.

Ah crap. Whenever there's a club with a lone verb as its name, I usually can't afford it. This one is called "Verb" so I definitely can't afford it.

Boston's hottest club is Verb. Nightlife designer Tranny Griffith is back with an all-new club that answers the question Huh?!? Don’t look for a bouncer – there isn’t one. Instead the door’s guarded by ten jacked homeless guys in old-fashioned bathing suits. And inside it's just sick: ice sculptures, winos, Germufs – German smurfs – a Teddy Ruxpin wearing mascara, an old lady with Kid 'N Play hair, and none other than DJ Baby Bok Choy…He’s a giant 300-pound Chinese baby who wears tinted aviator glasses and he spins records with his little ravioli hands.

Back