Fenway Infill and Small Developments

So some space is freed up st hvd vanguard next door... Sooner or later that site will get sold, wonder if this is the beginning of the end for that building (but doubt it)

We need some pix of Big Air at Fenway -- a truly unique "Pop-up" event

Anybody going by or better yet going to it?

132 Brookline definitely not going to 17 stories for the time being. Also, more copper:

l3tWYNc.jpg

A little disappointed that the previously proposed building is being put off. This wedge definitely could use some breaking up, maybe with a connection of Ross Way to Overland Street to continue the trend of neighbourhood 'permeability' going on with Samuels' developments.

I'd love to see two triangle-shaped multi-story buildings with an 'intimate' pedestrian corridor lined with retail like what I recently saw in the CityCenterDC development last month.

eTGNNMMh.png

In the meantime, I'll take this over that terrible dimly-lit rock garden that was there before. That copper looks great! Are there any treatments out there for copper to prevent it from oxidizing or is your only choice to make a copper alloy if you want it to keep it copper-coloured?

132 Brookline definitely not going to 17 stories for the time being. Also, more copper:
Talked to one of the construction workers and he said he thought it was going to be some kind of Greek eatery.
https://flic.kr/p/ECrqci
Inside the staff seemed to be in a training session, so I guess that means a grand opening sometime soon.

The nice thing about a misguided assturd like this, is you can go back in a few years and build 22 pisos.

Call me crazy but this shingled copper texture looks badass and unique. It shimmers like a stone. I would hope they keep it maintained because one giant pale green patina would not look good IMO it only looks good as an accentuating piece like on the woolworth.

Call me crazy but this shingled copper texture looks badass and unique. It shimmers like a stone. I would hope they keep it maintained because one giant pale green patina would not look good IMO it only looks good as an accentuating piece like on the woolworth.

It will not go green in our lifetime ..if ever. I have said this before on these forums but the only way to see green copper these days is not paint it with uric acid (it is what it sounds like).

The reason you have to do that is the air/rain quality in the 21st century is less acidic than the 18th/19th because we were breathing tons and tons of coal smoke in those days. Copper will patina to a dull brown and stay that way pretty much forever unless there are detailing issues. Look at the MGH museum building. You will not see a spec of green on that.

cca

It will not go green in our lifetime ..if ever. I have said this before on these forums but the only way to see green copper these days is not paint it with uric acid (it is what it sounds like).

The reason you have to do that is the air/rain quality in the 21st century is less acidic than the 18th/19th because we were breathing tons and tons of coal smoke in those days. Copper will patina to a dull brown and stay that way pretty much forever unless there are detailing issues. Look at the MGH museum building. You will not see a spec of green on that.

cca
Are you saying that the old buildings were never meant to have the copper oxidize because acid rain was the norm?

Are you saying that the old buildings were never meant to have the copper oxidize because acid rain was the norm?

Copper was used for its many great qualities. The patina (brown) is a protective patina and it is a very workable metal and it can be fully soldered. These are the primary reasons to use copper. It is a wonderful thing that when it is contact with an acid that it turns a very appealing green. Once people realized that copper does this, it just added another attractive quality to a very useful material. Why not continue to choose it?

These days people want ALL of those qualities but because of our less acidic environment the greening of copper happens much slower. Decades vs Seasons. Copper manufactures will happily pre-patina the copper for you (for a pretty penny that is).

cca

Back