Fenway Infill and Small Developments

It will not go green in our lifetime ..if ever. I have said this before on these forums but the only way to see green copper these days is not paint it with uric acid (it is what it sounds like).

The reason you have to do that is the air/rain quality in the 21st century is less acidic than the 18th/19th because we were breathing tons and tons of coal smoke in those days. Copper will patina to a dull brown and stay that way pretty much forever unless there are detailing issues. Look at the MGH museum building. You will not see a spec of green on that.

cca

Thanks for the great info. Reason #53 why I like this forum so much.

Copper was used for its many great qualities. The patina (brown) is a protective patina and it is a very workable metal and it can be fully soldered. These are the primary reasons to use copper. It is a wonderful thing that when it is contact with an acid that it turns a very appealing green. Once people realized that copper does this, it just added another attractive quality to a very useful material. Why not continue to choose it?

These days people want ALL of those qualities but because of our less acidic environment the greening of copper happens much slower. Decades vs Seasons. Copper manufactures will happily pre-patina the copper for you (for a pretty penny that is).

cca

Wouldn't the rain have to be alkaline for the oxide to form or does the acid remove any protective oxides from the surface of the metal? Curious because I just showed people at work how an acid solution can clean copper alloys of all oxides and calcium carbonate with a 10% HCl solution. However the aluminum in the alloy I used for demonstration forms a protective aluminum oxide film once it is removed and rinsed from the solution.

Wouldn't the rain have to be alkaline for the oxide to form or does the acid remove any protective oxides from the surface of the metal? Curious because I just showed people at work how an acid solution can clean copper alloys of all oxides and calcium carbonate with a 10% HCl solution. However the aluminum in the alloy I used for demonstration forms a protective aluminum oxide film once it is removed and rinsed from the solution.

Acids can be oxidizing agents if they have an oxygen atom. Acid rain most commonly contains sulfuric acid whose chemical formula is H2SO4.

Re: 839 Beacon Street | Fenway/Audubon Circle

839-Beacon-Street-Fenway-Boston-Proposed-Mixed-Use-Development-Project-Miner-Realty-Inc-WaypointKLA-Prellwitz-Chilinski-Associates-Architect-Rendering.png

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/3837a215-1139-433d-a5cf-dedc5d4a2b2f

What the fuck!
"Tenant"? What about The Ark/An Tua Nua?

Neither of those bars are currently operating there. I don't know when the "arc" went out of business but since at least last summer.

"I love the design but it's a little too tall."

-Menino if he was still alive.

My initial thought:

"What is this? The Center for Ants?!... The building needs to be at least... three times bigger than this!"

It definitely "fits" with what's on Beacon now; however, as I recall there's gonna be a 10-story medical building on the left of this photo (Boston Children's, I think), not to mention the Fenway Center air right pipe dream half a block away, and the Wegman's/Landmark Center redevelopment towers right behind this.

Make it 10+ floors!

I put a poll at the top.

I vote to put it in a dumpster.

I think it's nicely contextual. The undulating facade mimics the bays of the adjacent building. Materials and openings appear to have some depth too. Will have to see if that survives VE and material selection.

Heh, architect is PCA. Same architect as The Icon in Brighton.

My first thought was that it looks more South Bronx circa 1978 than Boston 2016

I think it's nicely contextual. The undulating facade mimics the bays of the adjacent building. Materials and openings appear to have some depth too. Will have to see if that survives VE and material selection.

Heh, architect is PCA. Same architect as The Icon in Brighton.

+1. They are building a dense, urban, mixed-use building, with ground-floor retail, that replaces a 1/2-level retail taxpayer along a dense, transit-oriented corridor in a high-demand area. To say nothing of the aesthetics, this is the kind of development we need up-and-down Beacon Street to Cleveland Circle. Now, if we can only get transit-signal priority on the C-Branch.

+1. They are building a dense, urban, mixed-use building, with ground-floor retail, that replaces a 1/2-level retail taxpayer along a dense, transit-oriented corridor in a high-demand area. To say nothing of the aesthetics, this is the kind of development we need up-and-down Beacon Street to Cleveland Circle. Now, if we can only get transit-signal priority on the C-Branch.

C's underground at this point. Would be better to just walk to Kenmore if you were headed inbound from this location.

I think it's too small. Doesn't need to go insanely tall but it's on a corner and a few more floors would be fine.

Neither of those bars are currently operating there. I don't know when the "arc" went out of business but since at least last summer.

Wow. An Tua Nua has became Arc a couple years ago and they did a crappy reno job making it look pretend-nicer from the good old shittiness of An Tua, but didnt know the successor bar closed at well. Still support another bar here and not cutesy retail. The loss of this plus Kilroy's way back is major.

Back