Ferdinand Building Renovation + Addition | Dudley Sq | Roxbury

Re: Dudley Sq's Ferdinand Building to be Restored/ Renovated

Wow, there are a lot of facade variations, that, in itself, makes it interesting and, importantly, it looks good. Some architects today, I'm looking at you, Rem Koolhaas, create crazy shapes just to stand out, it seems. Koolhaas's Seattle Public Library is an example. I've been inside and the interior does not present a cozy atmosphere for a library, it's rather sterile. The exterior of the Ferdinand has a logical pattern to it and I'm hoping the interior is inspired, as well.

That's some straight up art right there...

Great video - amazing to see real brick!

Too bad they couldn't move all of City Hall here (yes, I'd ride the SL to this building just to get a parking permit)

I really hope this initiates a new Boston style.

I thought this sort of craftsmanship, this sort of workmanship, was lost forever in this country! I am seriously blown away by the absolute beauty of this brick and stone workmanship!! Bravo!

I had no idea this building's exterior was masonry. I really must go and look at it up close soon. The craftsmanship is stunning.

Thank you for sharing that video, lynqueezy.

Walsh plans Dudley Square incubator

A center of the African-American community in Boston, Dudley Square will include between 3,500 and 4,000 square feet of “incubator space” under a plan Mayor Marty Walsh is set to announce Tuesday.

“We want to be able to spread, so it’s not just in Kendall Square and in the Innovation District, but it’s also in Dudley,” Walsh told the News Service about his plans to include Dudley among entrepreneurial hubs. He said, “This is incubator space and hopefully the startup companies that we have in there come right out of the community.”

http://www.dotnews.com/2014/walsh-plans-dudley-square-incubator

14168415163_2427629c82_b.jpg

14145038211_5c1ffb46bc_b.jpg

14145037701_494a3ab08d_b.jpg

I love it except those randomized black panels, are those permanent?

I think they're vents.

I think they're vents.

Yup. That's a ton of MEP space up there. I wonder if the BPS is going to have a datacenter up there? That's the only reason I can see for having such a gigantic MEP penthouse in square footage and height. That MEP penthouse is more reminiscent of one you'd see on top of a lab/hospital tower.

Any chance some of those slats on top (the non-grille looking parts) will be lit up?

EDIT: Checked the renders, looks like a yes.

Is that official now? Last I remember it was still:

ferdinand2__1330983998_0789.jpg

One of the rare instances the final product came out better than the initial rendering?

13979280790_f75c0f1497_b.jpg

14186004293_aa159d3464_b.jpg

14163164622_2b1f630569_b.jpg

13979259118_9a2c86d26f_b.jpg

14165968144_d53ce5dac4_b.jpg

13979348928_8d0df6bb2c_b.jpg

I drove around this one recently and it screams quality. Say what you want about any other aspect of the building, but one cannot deny that this one was built with a high degree of excellence in both design and especially construction. We haven't seen brickwork like this in this city since the Victorian era.

14092991477_209b756a47_b.jpg

Hello gorgeous!

This town is at the top of its game (in terms of new construction and cranes rising).

Back