Ferdinand Building Renovation + Addition | Dudley Sq | Roxbury

Re: Dudley Sq's Ferdinand Building to be Restored/ Renovated

I'd be a bit dubious about gentrification there...the 30% increase is only relative to where prices were over the past couple of years. IE: property values imploded in 2006 and haven't even returned to where they were.

The City of Boston's Property and Construction Management Department is currently requesting proposals for six separate retail spaces at the Dudley Square Municipal Center (The Ferdinand) located at 2300 Washington Street in Roxbury. The 18,000 square feet of retail space includes an 8,000 square foot space designated for a signature restaurant/music venue.

http://www.bostonhospitalityindustry.com/2013/12/retailrestaurant-tenants-sought-for-new.html

"Roxbury is Boston's Brooklyn."

I thought up that idea yesterday when I was drunk. What do you think?

it's much more common for Somerville to be compared to Brooklyn these days

Brooklyn is a huge place. Don't think it makes sense to confound all that.

Brooklyn is a huge place. Don't think it makes sense to confound all that.

Jon, Ron, Mathew -- better way to think of it -- Roxbury was to Boston in the late 18th and early 19th Century what Welesley and Weston were to Boston in the 20th Century

Think Governors living there

Roxbury was in fact the first high class suburb which then morphed into industry and eventually dropped in standing as place to live and a place to work

Perhaps the process if beginning to restore Roxbury as a nice place to live and work

Much the same was true of Dorchester

it's much more common for Somerville to be compared to Brooklyn these days

Somerville's too low-density to be compared to Brooklyn. You have to go about 5 miles inland from the East River bridges before you start seeing detached multi family or single family housing (and these lower-density Brooklyn neighborhoods are not the ones that have lured the young from across America). By contrast, the entirety of Somerville is less urban, detached housing stock.

Sorry--you used ppl/km. Brooklyn's density is 36k/sq mile.

And the Somerville density stat is bogus. If you consult this density map from bostonography: http://bostonography.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/density2.jpg
you'll see that the areas of greatest density are in Downtown Boston, Back Bay, South End, Southie, Charlestown, Eastie, Chelsea, the Fenway, parts of Cambridge and the Comm Ave corridor.

Somerville's density claim has always been about the randomness of how municipal boundaries have come to be, and the lack of large tracts of commercial or open space. First time visitors to Willow Ave or Belmont Street must be surprised to see a scene that looks less like Calcutta (or even most of Brooklyn) than it does like the early 20th century's ideal suburban neighborhood.

Also, the pop density in the trendy parts of Brooklyn (Red Hook to Greenpoint along the East River and about 3 miles inland) is probably well over 50,000 ppl/sq mi.

By average density, L.A. comes out above N.Y. and Boston, so that should tell you something...about the uselessness of "average density" as a measurement.

I agree on the uselessness of the measure within municipalities like Somerville (which are really just independently governed subsets of a larger city). But LA city's density is below both NY and Boston's. On a metro level LA's is greater because they don't have low density suburbs like NY and Boston have on their metropolitan fringes.

By average density, L.A. comes out above N.Y. and Boston, so that should tell you something...about the uselessness of "average density" as a measurement.

Yup.

If I draw a 1 inch circle and call it a municipality, and stand in it, I am now home to the densest municipality in the universe.

11897394574_6ec658592b_b.jpg

What Dainty Dot might have been. The street presence of the Ferdinand building is just remarkable.

^ Thought the same thing.

Can we please please please have more European architecture firms do projects in Boston? Such a beautiful project. This is an excellent first step into the US for Mecanoo.

Absolutely gorgeous. I need to see this in person. Reminds me of newer buildings going up in Rotterdam or The Hague.

Not so easy when profit is the primary consideration.

Please. Any local firm could have shit this out.

Hey there Mr. Grumpy Gills
tumblr_kwbn8lss931qzl19so1_500.jpg

I really hate the font. Its got an industrial-chic feel that's great in the north end and seaport, but doesn't historically apply to Dudley. It should be something jazzy

Back